1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too hot

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Jun 29, 2018.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Strangely I suffered with hay fever for years badly....not I had it myself Dave did and I suffered as a result he was not at his best when it was really bad to put it mildly

Then a few years ago he got it less and I started to get it a bit. The last summer of his life he just had a bit of a runny nose and pinkish eyes that were just a tad sensitive whilst I was the one who was going through tissues at a rate of knots

This year like last year is bloody unbearable I do take Piriton but in the evening so at least I get a good nights sleep if I take it in the morning by about 11 I can't keep my eyes open

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Mine started a couple of years ago....:rolleyes:

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Last year, my daughter bought a 10ft above the ground pool on special offer in Tesco for about £40 odd. It's great, came with a filter pump too. Am I happy she bought it and it didn't go all manky when it was put away after last year. This is helping keep us cool in this hot weather. Like being on holiday.:cool:

[​IMG]in the pool by Nigel G, on Flickr

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that there will be some thick heads and severe dehydration in our village by later this evening. I went into the local CoOp for a couple of items which I had run out of and noticed that the top shelf of the ample wine chiller was almost empty. Not a single bottle of Prosecco left, and only a couple of bottles of Cava. Even the Champagne (which a Champagne loving friend of mine previously described as very good for launching ships) was down to a couple of bottles at £30 each. Some people seem to drinking cheap fizz like lemonade.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Windburnt at Whitby today

6. BamaMike

BamaMike Well-Known Member

Hate this heat, too.

My department is one of a couple in the hospital properly air conditioned and even then it's still too warm.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I have air conditioning too. Front door open back door open, all windows open. Nice breeze! Short trips outside still burn me!

BamaMike likes this.
  8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I used to like those small swivelling quarter lights on cars, you could turn them far enough to deflect a pleasant cooling airflow at you (also handy when in normal position for flicking fag ash out of). Some later cars used 4/40 air con - 4 windows open and cruise at 40MPH.

Catriona likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Keeping the cows cool has been challenging. We've already treated one cow for heatstroke.

10. Catriona

No sprinklers or watering system then? Poor cows. I think we have a few sheep here wishing they'd had their hair cut.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

We've rigged up lots of fans Kate. Speaking with the vet earlier it would seem external watering would be counter productive. After an initial cooling the cows would actually warm up.

12. Catriona

So a cool breeze instead. Hope you don't have bad problems with them and it cools down soon.

13. BamaMike

BamaMike Well-Known Member

No windows in my department, sadly and even if there were we couldn't open them because it's a controlled environment.

I'm the same, though. I get burnt turning the bathroom light on lol

Catriona likes this.
  14. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I have never suffered until this year 63 in October. Went out tonight for fish n chips at Margate harbour overlooking the sunset and that artist blokes man in the sea by the Turner Contemporary art gallery. It was still 18.5 after the sun disappear. Now in bed so good night folks. XXX Don

Catriona likes this.
  15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Just noticed this. Did the sun get you, or did you drink a skinfull?:)

ascu75 likes this.
  16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I left my car in full sun yesterday between . When I got back in, this was the outside temp the car was showing. It was hot. As we started moving and heading home it got down to a more acceptable 31.

IMG_5896.JPG

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I work surrounded by fridges and with big lumps of stuff that has to be kept below 4c so have been glad of going to work some days.

Aircon was certainly working hard in the car on holiday....wouldn't be surprised if it was £15 of the £150 on fuel.

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Back in '14 when I moved in I left a 50deg thermometet in the conservatory while I went shopping. When I got back the bulb had exploded. Upset me a bit as I'd had it a good few years, decades more like.

19. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

You all have my sympathy, at least over the past couple of days it has cooled down a bit, which makes things a bit more comfortable, but inside the house, the building is just as hot, the building is acting like a massive storage heater and the thermostat is showing 28 degrees! Last night I decided to make a summer pudding; I'd offer you all some, but this is all that remains from it:

SummPud.jpg

20. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

My consumption of ice cream and trifles has significantly increased, also cold meat and pickles.