1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too hot

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Bournemouth Echo has a very badly behaved site that freezes IE. Found that before. Bloody yokels :rolleyes:.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Some people really like it that way of course...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010869.JPG

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Damn stupid cookies notice freezes Chrome too.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Fortunately we have a bit of a breeze here, which helps. Unfortunately, it gusts occasionally and blows the bottle of washing up liquid of the kitchen windowsill. :rolleyes:

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Fine on Firefox, even after I rejected the majority of cookies.

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

We are getting the house and garden ready for sale and only getting on slowly due to heat. Between about 7.30 to 10am is the most I can manage. Still I am slipping away to the sea late tomorrow for a day or so to cool off.

Catriona likes this.
  9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Here on the North Sea/Channel coast, it's rather chilly with a breeze coming off the sea. In fact we've had predominantly NE winds since April and cool temperatures too. Haven't had any rain for ages though, garden looking a bit parched.

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm on 'open-house' mode. Windows, doors all open. Had to take antihistamine, but better than boiling!

I have a guard dog, however. :)
    guard dogap.jpg

ascu75, Derek W and RogerMac like this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Hot? Its only 28℃ here.

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Too hot here. We went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park today. It is a 6.5 km walk around the grounds and it was around 28, and far too hot for it. Enjoyable day though if you are ever in that neck of the woods.

I've OD'd on antihistamine, but still suffered the sneezes and watery eyes and now i've got a banging headache, despite drinking gallons of water

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Apparently the lack of rain means pollen has been accumulating; hayfever suffers beware. :(

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has been a tough few weeks.

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I hate this weather! My hay fever has been kicking all day and as unfortunately I haven't yet found an antihistamine that
    A. Works
    B . Doesn't knock me out

(Plenty do A but none do B. The last time I took one, which a friend swore wouldn't make me drowsy I could breathe for 30 minutes then went home and woke up 8 hours later still dressed and with the front door on the latch and as it was if I hadn't found the right key for the front door on the first attempt I'd have probably slept on the hallway floor)

So for work I just have to sit there with swollen streaming eyes and a box of tissues

And the heat means I can't sleep. Most evenings I get in, shower and sit around hugging my 16" floor fan then have to shower before I go to bed and I have even woken up in the night and jumped in the shower just to cool down. It's too hot even to eat much, which okay isn't such a bad thing in my case

The problem is this flat is thick brick on 3 sides so the bricks absorb the heat and it stays cooler during the day but when I get from work and it's starting to cool down outside the heat from the bricks starts to radiate back into the flat and it turns into an oven (this is great in winter so I can't complain I get it and run the heating for around 30 minutes and it's warm all evening)

I am praying for a nice thunderstorm to clear the air

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Piriton (original variety) works well for me, but it has a life of about 4 -6 hours. Doesn't make me sleepy and helps my eyes like no other one does.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The only one I've found that has continued to work is loratadine but it tails off too quickly and doesn't do much at all on really bad days. This morning was dreadful. :(

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Intriguing - I thankfully rarely get hayfever (though I have a bizarre cat allergy - every now and then I find a cat that just makes my nose and eyes stream, all the others are fine, just every now and then...) but we do have bastard bloody Blandford Fly on my allotment and the only thing I've found that will touch the huge weals I get when the little sods bite me is Piriton, and it whacks me out utterly. It's like having several beers quickly on an empty stomach - sooner or later I just drop off.

Adrian

19. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I believe it topped out at 31 celcius here in Swansea but without the humidity which makes it much more tolerable.

Fortunately I don`t get hayfever having grown out of it.It was pretty bad when I was a kid.

20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I started with hay fever when I was 23 and found that I had to alternate anti-histamines from one year to the next. Piriton - alternative - Piriton - alternative, and repeat. The best relief I had was a very short course of prednisolone prescribed by a locum. Within 30 minutes of the first dose, I was clear for the rest of that summer, with no side-effects, and then the experts decided that cortisone based remedies had other problems, so I was back to being drowsy etc. My hay-fever disappeared when I matured...