1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too far ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bill Stewardson, Mar 11, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think your memory of what question you asked is slipping.

Let me remind you: Under a meaningless headline of "Too far?" we were asked "Has footy now become a bad thing to take the kids to?"

We answered that question and I have to say I can't even imagine where falling (or not) audiences came into it. We shouldn't take kids because audiences are (not) falling? Baffling.

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

So it is (at Twickenham). I didn't spot that. I see that the prices for the next home game (Wasps) haven't been announced yet. Funny business!

MickLL

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

BTW the link to audience data had no trend, so did not imply that the disparity between reported and actual wasn't even greater years ago. Can't really follow this discussion at all.

4. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

So leave it then,

5. Bill Stewardson

Ok, your that far up yourself,,, I see no link between rising current attendances and taking the kids these days as opposed to decades ago. But you do.
    Part of why your so superior.

6. Bill Stewardson

You really don’t get that ?

7. Bill Stewardson

Players wages due to those who Dont go.

Of course yes.

8. Bill Stewardson

I did “suggest” not state as fact, also said I couldn’t be bothered looking it up,
    That being I knew you would.

How thick is that ?

9. Bill Stewardson

I said I would report back after going to Grimsby V Bury.
    Decent game with no goals, thanks to the GT keeper making a stunning save and GT not being too bothered about going for it.
    £21 to get in, decent stadium and seating, stewarding was poor, football is dodging its responsibility.
    Police were no problem and most GT fans were chatty. On that note, every fan I spoke to sees prices up the food chain as a joke.
    Personal opinion decides views on prices, and earlier in this thread a report into falsifying attendance figures was dismissed out of hand.
    Here’s some more opinions, from those paying the ridiculous prices.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/10/premier-league-ticket-prices-fans-verdict

What really ruined the day for all travelling fans was a train company, but that’s another set of tales.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure how to respond to this, I wouldn't pay £21 to watch 22 men kick an inflated bladder around but I might spend that much, or more, on a meal. I suppose it really hinges on what you find entertaining, as I said earlier I have little time for football so that colours my opinion. If you want to spend your money on watching sport go for it, but I'd be wary about introducing children to the tribalism that seems to affect football at some levels. Surely sport is about taking part rather than winning or losing? I find I actually enjoy sport more when I don't have any preference as to who wins.

Bill Stewardson likes this.
  11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

If I remember this thread correctly there's a complaint that football admission is too expensive but also a claim that attendances are rising. Those two statements don't seem to fit together.

How much does admission to a top flight concert cost? At football (for those that like and appreciate it) one gets 90 minutes of performance from some of the best in the business. How does that compare with a concert, or motor race or any other sport that people pay to watch?

FWIW at 'my' club admission is as follows;
    Full adult £11
    Senior (me) £7
    Youth (13-17) £3 but free if with a paying adult.
    Junior (under 13) free

Those are maximum prices for the league games. Some cup games are cheaper but none are more expensive.

I bought a season ticket this year (special offer!) that cost me £99 which works out at a little over £4 per game assuming I attend all possible games.
    Ten minutes travel there but 15 back (horrors!) allowing an extra 5 minutes to get out of the ground.
    Free parking. Decent food (not free before any wit tries to pick me up), decent bar and beer at low prices for the area. The chance to converse with players and manager should one be so inclined and above all an extremely friendly and welcoming 'audience'.

Having written the above I've convinced myself that I was right to ignore the top echelons of the game.

MickLL

PS The team led the league until late November then went through a very bad patch and slumped to 11th. A fight back has been happening and the team is unbeaten in the league this year. Now we sit at 3rd with the same points as the 2cnd team. A playoff spot (for promotion) looks hopeful but the league is so competitive that it's by no means certain. Kept the fans interested!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  12. Bill Stewardson

Yes,, I now see myself as unattached to any particular team. I went on Saturday because my son asked me to. Just saw it as a day out really. As such it was (train circus not included) worth the effort. I've been to motor racing, cricket, athletics, RL, boxing, and footy in recent times.
    Football is far and away the most expensive that I have been to. The view amongst those that I speak to who actually go is that many are now "turning their backs on top flight games" - and that's a direct quote from a fan on Saturday.
    One thing that matters to me, when paying to watch "lower" teams I get the impression that the money actually matters and they are pleased to see you, not so at the bigger businesses/clubs.
    The point re concerts, I saw Sabbath in Sheffield for £40, and Roger Waters at Wembley for £70, that being the most I would ever pay to see anyone.
    Attendances at non league are rocketing, maybe the answers are in that.
    I stand by my comment that you cannot trust clubs re admission prices, they just work out how much they can possibly get away with and go with that. It should be taken out of their hands.
    Also, travelling fans should be paying less.
    There were lots of kids on Saturday, as far as I know nothing untoward took place.
    Away from all that, Grimsby is cheap around the town, people friendly and happy to chat etc, a decent place to go.

13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

But that's not supported by the numbers. I just looked at a website that indicated that Premiership attendances slumped in the late '80's/early '90's) and has been on an upward trend since then.

MickLL

14. Bill Stewardson

I know, obviously many people have got it utterly wrong.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Where we lived at my first home, there was a local football ground at the end of our road, and us kids could watch for free if we climbed on top of the old stone gate pillars, just outside the 6-foot fence. Stewards used to shout at us, but we were outside their ground to the SW of Manchester. Dad's job moved, we moved to Cheshire, and I've never been to any form of paid-for sport since. I enjoy watching a little snooker on TV, and we do make an effort to see the Tour of Britain cycling, both Men's and Women's, if they're within reasonable reach, or can be combined with a visit or holiday.

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Geoff,

Surely it depends on which inflated bladder. I'm sure that many would pay that and more if it were Boris Johnson.

Cheers,

R.

John Farrell and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not necessarily Bill, it is entirely possible that grass roots fans are deserting the "top flight" games but their places are being taken by corporate entertainment and others with the money to do so.

Bill Stewardson and Roger Hicks like this.
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You have a point Roger.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  19. Bill Stewardson

To me its not just about ticket prices, if people pay it will continue, there's other things, too much of it on the box, saturation point long been left behind, wages are an insult, clubs not paying for the Police operations- Sheffield has the most expensive game to police twice a year- shirts made in far away lands where those making them are paid a pittance, the huge gulf between the top and the rest, agents becoming super rich, etc
    The list I put forward earlier re season tix is for the CHEAPEST at those clubs, original Q was "has football gone too far" ? I'm not hearing anyone say it's not gone far enough.