1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tokina 11-16mm F2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by jpgreenwood, Oct 23, 2017.

1. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Well-Known Member

I've recently purchased this lens for my Nikon D3200. I'm not used to the focus ring AF/MF switching. When fitting ND filters etc, I normally set my camera up, focus set, switch to MF and then after fitting the filters, take my shot. Its easy to switch to MF on my Nikon and Sigma lenses as they have standard lens switches. When moving the Tokina from AF to MF, I notice that the ring can turn slightly and maybe this affects the focus? I've not used the lens yet so cant say this actually happens. Its just an observation when I've taken it out of the box. Can anyone comment?

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Put it in manual focus to begin with, zoom in on live view, focus manually, then pop your filters on and shoot. ;)

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Unless you are using maximum aperture and/or are at close range I doubt that a small movement will make a significant difference.

I assume we are talking about 10 stop type ND filters and presumably you are using a tripod? The solution is surely to use live view for focusing. Even if the live view AF won't work through the filter you still have the option of switching to manual and focusing using the magnification option. I'd certainly try and see if the live view AF will work - I tried an R72 infra red filter on my Panny G3 and it still focused despite the filter being at least as dense as a 10 stop and only letting IR through.

4. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Well-Known Member

I think you hit the nail on the head there El-Sid. I will have to check focus through live view, once ive switched over to MF. Then slot the 10 stopper in and hope for the best. Thanks.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I reckon you should be able to manually focus even with the 10-stop filter in place though you will need the camera set to simulate the exposure in Liveview mode.