1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I learned...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daft_biker, Oct 12, 2019.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

That the local fire brigade have a phone number to let them know if starting a garden fire to get rid of a couple of dozen 25-30' Leylandii. And then phone them back when done.

On the bright side a neighbor doesn't need to worry about that £1000 quote to clear them :D.

2. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I am sure the fire brigade would have come round to eat burgers and chips while the fire burned had you invited them. You might even have been able to weedle expenses had you proposed a training exercise?

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

When the fire brigade came they described it as a controlled burn with adult supervision so we then went for an even bigger fire and then made Facebook with pics of the flames from a couple of streets away.:D

The folk that own the garden are new to the area and decided to let the fire die down after that though :(. The trees are no longer blocking the view or the sun but they still have tons of it and no way of getting a chipper or any heavy machinery into deal with the waste or the stumps.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Make a feature of the stumps and use the logs for firewood. Or if still in lengths make an arbour.

S

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

They say they are going to chop the trees as low down as possible and then drill into the stump to pour root killer in.

Has made quite a difference to a lot of people by getting rid of the trees.....the row I live in can now chat over the wall with the street they live in and it has been amusing to find out how close we live to folk I knew as customers. Have really noticed the sun warming the back of our houses in the morning, better light to dry the washing and hopefully next year I'll get a bigger crop of veg out my garden too.

That 10 quid bush saw I bought nearly 20 years ago still does the biz!:D:D:D

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Tell them not to bother with the root killer .
    Laylandi won't regrow from old wood , so if you pruned them back to hard they won't green up again .
    Chop them down and their already dead .

Only Junipers and Thuja tend to grow back from old wood .

Can't beat a good fire !

daft_biker likes this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Will do, thanks.

ascu75 likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Glad I wasn't downwind of the fire. I'd rather breathe fumes from burning tyres than leylandii trimmings.

ascu75 likes this.
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye.....looks like it has been snowing out the back with all the ash everywhere:oops:

ascu75 likes this.