1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titles and dreams

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Sep 3, 2017.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Just delete as appropriate... obviously

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear David,

"Delete as Appropriate" might be a little incendiary beside a footpath. Especially if it crossed a Trump golf course.

Cheers,

R.

spinno likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Glad it wasn't just me then.

MJB likes this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As opposed to...

LesleySM likes this.
  5. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

My reason for showing abstracts as No Title comes from my experiences visiting art exhibitions. I've found that, whilst my reaction to abstracts with titles tends to be on the lines of, "If you say so", "I'll believe you......."etc. and a quick move on to the next picture, whereas when it comes to No Title pictures I'll spend much more time studying them to see how they work on my imagination. From the feedback I've received to my abstracts this seems to work for other people too.

Lynn

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Lynn,

Interesting, thanks. Shows, though, that different people's minds work different ways.

Cheers,

R.

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe they are Masochists?

8. Trannifan

Don't forget people's backgrounds. I sold a print to someone who mentioned that, for him, the picture was like a stage set, an association which would never have occurred to me. However, given that the purchaser is a dancer, choreographer and director who's worked in theatres and conservatoires all over Europe then his view isn't really surprising. He says that he finds the picture 'very relaxing'!

Another thing is, that with titled abstracts, I often have the feeling that the artist has been told 'no title, no show' and so they've taken the first things that came to mind, whether or not there were connections to the pictures on display or not, resulting in titles which the viewer cannot 'connect with' and so are meaningless. Hence my "If you say so...."

Lynn

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Or

Jesus saves but he couldn't do it on my salary

Trannifan likes this.
  10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

How about a generic √Čtude in <insert colour name here>? ;)

My titles seem to split into two classes. Either informative (buildings, animals whatever) or jokes (cheese, anyone?).

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately some people do go on and on taking pics even when the love has gone.
    Some do it for a job of course, and it is really sad to see.
    Many moons ago I did work experience on a local paper. There were 4 staff photographers, and the boss (one of the 4) saw to it that he got all the latest whizz-bang cameras whilst the others had to sellotape their gear together (literally in some cases), but all of the others agreed that he should be elsewhere - he had no love of the art, and even I as a 17 year old picked up on the fact that he really didn't give a flying toss about photography or taking pictures.

12. Roger Hicks

Dear Andy,

True enough for a job, but fairly rare.

Cheers,

R.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You're projecting. Plenty of people have fun and enjoy photography, nothing has changed but your perspective.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Why is it unfortunate? How many of us actually "love" "taking pics"?

I certainly don't love the process of actually taking the photograph. It is a pain in the arse that has to be performed to join up the joy before and the satisfaction after.

I do love the travel, the adventure, the sights and sounds - everything that I experience while looking for a photograph to take.

Similarly I love the artistic work involved in creating a print from the photographic image files that my camera has produced.

But the actual physical process of attending to camera settings and pressing the tit are, as I say, a pain in the backside (not least because that is when it can all go wrong). It would be really nice if I could just look at a scene, think "that's a photograph I want" and by sheer will power send an 45Mp image file to my PC containing the composition, depth of field, etc., that I had seen in my mind's eye.

No doubt, one of those years, the technology to do just that will be developed.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Roger Hicks

You take no pleasure in composing a picture in a viewfinder?

Setting focus, shutter speed and aperture is hardly a chore. It's not a lot more difficult than scratching your arse.

Cheers,

R.

16. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, Roger, the pleasure is not in composing the picture in the viewfinder. I have already composed the picture in my mind and am merely fitting that image into the viewfinder. I suspect other people might work differently. Nothing wrong with that.

My aversion is not only to the things that you compare to scratching one's arse - I used that as shorthand to the whole arid "taking a pic" physical process that involves everything connected with "kit" from spending money on cameras and lenses, to setting up tripods, to manipulating the hardware.

I am much more interested in the visual and artistic, the sensory if you like, side of producing a photograph than I am in the hardware and its operation. But, again, others will have different preferences and, once more, nothing wrong with that.

EightBitTony likes this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Well, yes. But if you want your arse to stop itching, you have to scratch it; and there's a certain pleasure in getting that right. Likewise in creating a picture, whether with a camera or coloured pencils. To imagine a world in which everything comes utterly easily and without any technical limitations flies somewhat in the face of all that art is and has always been.

In fact, it touches upon an idea I have been nurturing for some time. What if drugs are not a problem, but a solution? What need have we to create pictures for anyone else, if we can enjoy them blissfully in our own heads? Certainly, anyone who says "I take pictures only for myself" would have some difficulty in explaining why drugs aren't a better idea.

Cheers,

R.

18. Trannifan

Oh, I enjoy it, especially when I'm out taking abstracts, impressions and other experiments, and even more when I get the developed film back and the results are even better than I'd envisaged!

Lynn

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

For portraits it is the sitters name. If not as close as possible. Some years ago I won a club silver cup for "Bob's wife's sister's friend".

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Probably as a result of spending so much time with my dad in his sheds/garages as I grew up, I love mechanical bits and bobs and I love the feel of twiddling knobs dials and pressing buttons. I like the noise the camera makes when I press the shutter. (I know - on my 5D MkIII this is simulated and I can turn it off. I did turn it off once. Hated not hearing the familiar sounds. Turned it right back on again.) Taking the picture, looking through the viewfinder, assessing what I want in the frame, all takes me out of myself for a little while. I lose all my usual awkwardness around other people and can concentrate on making a picture. Of course, I also enjoy the post-exposure processes. And finally, getting the work out into the world in some form is also pleasurable. A book, a print, an attachmeent to an email, a spot in the local rag - just seeing it off the hardrive is a joy.

Roger Hicks likes this.