1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titles and dreams

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Two new pieces on the .eu site: one photographic, about choosing titles for pictures, and the other more philosophical, about the nature of dreams.

What are your thoughts on titles? And indeed dreams?

Cheers,

R.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Titles? Depends upon the photo and what I'm going to do with it. Abstracts have basically No Title because I want viewers to fire up their imagination and/or fantasy. One or two abstracts occasionally have a 'proper' title but that's very transitory, being a reaction to, for example, a current event e.g. Lost in the dark is a dig at the UK's brexit negotiating concept - or apparent lack thereof!

Impressions generally have a group title with ID numbers e.g. A Walk in the Woods xx. You want UTM grid references for the individual shots!?

'Normal' photos get 'normal' titles - when, where etc.

Lynn

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Freud would have a field day with me. I read that as 'Titties and dreams'.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'd love to talk to a professional about my dreams. Some are fascinating and some are frightening! For example I had a dream the other night where I ended up rolling over and over... next thing I know I've fallen out of bed having cracked my neck on the bedside table. Back to sleep and suddenly I'm watching sport and I'm roped in to play. I chase the ball and pull up lame and guess what I wake up with cramp. Nod off again and I've been elected as a Member of Parliament and one my fellow MPs (opposing party) is trying to explain all the customs etc., and then she tries to kiss me! All that in one night- I could go on.
    I'm amazed that some people say that can't remember their dreams or claim not to dream.

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I virtually always use titles because most competitions and exhibitions demand them. "Untitled" is rarely accepted although, especially in wildlife studies, "cute" titles are banned. But when I frame one and stick it on a wall, I don't show the title.

Sometimes the titles I have to provide are merely identifiers. Occasionally they may have some meaning - for example as an attempt at humour or as a means of directing the viewer how to look at the picture.

I suppose that, from a purist point of view, if the photograph does not communicate its full message without a caption, then it has failed its purpose. On the other hand, where would that leave photographs that are used merely to illustrate or expand upon the underlying textual narrative?

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Dreams. Had an odd one last night. I was in a meeting room at a local hotel, attending a lecture on photography. The lecturer was getting very sniffy about people's digital cameras and lamenting the fact that nobody did anything analogue any more. Someone piped up defensively that they did still make sun prints. The lecturer looked momentarily gratified but by then I was bored as he was covering really basic stuff, so I made my excuses to leave. At this point, he chased me out of the front door of the hotel and asked if I'd get him a pot noodle to put in the freezer. I can vividly remember thinking that I should tell him that freezing pot noodles was entirely unnecessary, and that he'd failed to grasp the point of them but for some reason I just agreed and walked away.

I frequently dream about needing the loo and waking up...needing the loo!

Titles. Sometimes these are just place names and dates and sometimes they are descriptive (Dead Sunflower for instance) and sometimes they are a quote that seems pertinent. That might be something the subject of the photo said, or it might be something I've read or an extract from a conversation. One example would be Backwalks Cost £1. Upfront. This was a direct quote from my daughter when I asked her what she was doing to her sister.

7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I was a member of a photo club for over 40yrs I entered every monthly photo comp and outside open exhibitions, titles then were very important, now I am not a member of any club except the RPS and you cant really call that a club. Nowadays titles are not really that important but sometimes it helps, a picture is a picture and it should give enough info out without adding a title to it, if it dont then just maybe the picture might just be failing something, I try very hard to make my pictures interesting sometimes I fail but after all its only a hobby these days and a bit of fun but for others it is not! Sometimes I wonder if anybody remembers all the enjoyment that photography used to give.........

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Hear, hear ! (see my post further up the page)

9. Roger Hicks

If they aren't enjoying it, why are they doing it? Habit? Spite?

Cheers,

R.

10. Roger Hicks

Para 1: Yes, as I said, we can't be held responsible for our dreams.

Para 2: Yes again.

Para 3: Well, quite. Too many people appear to believe first, that One Size Fits All, and second, that Their Size Is The Only Size. This is why I presented an argument for one or more ways in which titles can be useful. I really don't care very much if people do things my way or not. I am however rather in favour of their thinking about why they do things, and how. As Bertrand Russell said, "Many would rather die than think. Many do."

Cheers,

R.

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

money? job?
    and for what it's worth if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it.

Titles, sometimes my brain thinks of a fantastically witty title for one of my pictures but then I realise that generally you had to be there to get it. so this picture is entitled
    Not here there isn't
    [​IMG]

12. Roger Hicks

Dear David,

Not many, here. And even at that, if you don't enjoy it, you probably won't be much good at it. Most professionals are amateurs on the side.

Cheers,

R.

13. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Does this need a title? there was a sign just outside the picture guess what it said........
    W.O.....jpg

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Keep off the grass?

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Keep off the grass ?

16. Roger Hicks

Nope. Sorry. Can't guess. Close the gate? Stay on the path? Keep off the grass? Just because you know what the sign said, there's no reason why anyone else should.

As for whether it "needs" a title, I think the original article (especially the last paragraph) answers that pretty well.

Cheers,

R.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

great minds think alike or is it a case of fools seldom differ.....

SXH likes this.
  18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No pedestrians?
    Trespassers will be prosecuted
    Bill Stickers will be prosecuted
    Bill Stickers is innocent
    Jesus saves, but Harry Kane nets the rebound

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You may think so, I couldn't possibly comment... ;)

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

You're never alone with a Strand?
    Murray mints the too good to hurry mints?