1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tis with a heavy heart that I bid my Pentax Q usage adieu ...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

… but, after going through my one body and two(06) lenses
    in about 18 months and not wanting spend another £170 for
    a third lens I have decided to go back to my K-r, DA50-135 and
    Tamron 18-200 lenses …. if only for the durability. I'll definitely
    miss the 06's 2.8 capabilities and being able to take it in the sporting
    events without be harassed ;) and, of course, the weight, or lack thereof.
    But, of course, that one big positive was the big negative, as well and, of
    course, my "not so genteel way with cameras".

Oh well, it was a great, for the most part :)

Cheers,

Jack

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Re: Tis with a heavy heart that I bid my Pentax Q usage adieu ..

That's a shame, Jack, they're a nice little camera and easily pocketable.
    Any thoughts on something similar?

S

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I take it the new/old 06 has decided to permanently put its feet up? Is your newer non-working version still under warranty and able to be replaced that way?

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hello Jack,

There are still a few, very few, s/h Ricoh GXR's about. Made of much sturdier stuff and well specified (12.3Mp APS-C lens modules in Magnesium Alloy), but perhaps a bit more expensive maybe. Or even the A12 Mount (Leica M) with a Pentax adapter (Novoflex).

You probably won't get an EVF for love nor money now though. I have just the one, but would love a spare, just in case.

Sad it is when one has to lay to rest a trusted friend, but it does give the opportunity to look around at what else may be available.

Of course, you could always mortgage the house, sell the car and buy a Nikon D810 and a couple of lenses. :D:D Only joking of course. :rolleyes:

Good luck, I'm sure the K-r will live up to expectations.

5. Done_rundleCams

Hi Steve,

Well, I've got a K-01 but it's still a little beefy ;) and, truth be told, I'm liking
    the viewfinder again :) Curious, what Pentax… err, Ricoh, comes out with next in it's "wee" division :D

Cheers,

jack

6. Done_rundleCams

Tis indeed, put it's feet up, ATV, and, sadly, I could send it in but, there's no way it would/could be covered under warranty :( That's where the "lightweight build" is a negative :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

7. Done_rundleCams

Hi M_B,

A D4s would be mortgage material ;) and, if anything, I might move myself up to a K-50 :eek: but, I'll wait for a larger price decrease :) Although, Pentax-Ricoh (Canada) just announced a $200 price drop on the K-5ii which makes it (kind of) inviting …. I just don't like the 6 AA battery thing :(

Oh well, time will tell :)

Cheers,

jack

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Commiserations on the demise of the 06, Jack!

Slightly confused about what you mean here. AIUI, the D-BG4 grip for the K5ii has the option of taking 6xAA cells, but you can use it with an additional D-Li90 lithium ion battery if you wish.

9. Monobod

Isn't the 6 AA battery thing an alternative for the battery grip? It is on my K-5 battery grip, which has a slide out holder for a normal battery and a memory card as well as the AA alternative.

Actually, it is very handy if the two batteries go flat when out and you can find a shop selling the AA's. :)

You will see quite a hike in image quality with the K-5 ii.

10. Done_rundleCams

Hi Alex,

Aye, but I just prefer the joy of AA batts x 4 if back up is required which has been the case with my K-r and with the K-30 and K50 :) I just got used to the AA x 4 batteries (rechargeables) with my IST*Ds and K200D's (Sanyo Eneloops) and, as my usual last line of defense, Energiser AA Lithiums :D Whereas, the AA x 6 has always just peed me off :p. At least, make it AA x 8 so one can purchase a charger and two(2) sets of rechargeables :)

Sorry about my AA x 6 rant :eek: ….. :( and I realise that the D-Li90 will kick the cr@p out of the D-Li09 batteries ;)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

Hi M_B,

I love the AA batts as an alternative/back up to the Lithium Ion batteries but look above to see my rant above about the AA x 6 batteries versus the AA x 4 batteries :eek: ………… ;)

I had a chance to play with the K5ii when it first came out and very suitably impressed but, aside from the price at the time along with my anti AA x 6 thing .. I knew the K-5ii was not meant for my future but, now, with such a large price drop ….. who knows :D

Cheers,

Jack

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Jack,

Do you mean you have worn the Q out? If so, have you shown the gear to RicohPentax Canada and asked whether they consider that sort of longevity normal for the Q system?

Cheers,
    Oly

13. AlexMonro

Ah, I get where you're coming from.

Totally agree, 6xAA is a faff. I have a Fuji S3 pro, and a Fuji S9500 bridge that take 4x AA, and I have a certain fondness for the versatility of AAs - rechargeable, disposable, swap them between cameras & flashguns etc. But 4 (or at a pinch 2) at a time, please.

On the other hand, I guess 6xAA is better than no power at all...

14. Monobod

Is it not a simple maths thing? Each AA is 1.5 volts and the Li is 9 volts is it not, hence six AA's???

15. AlexMonro

D-LI90 7.2V (just read from the specifications on the label on mine) - 2x Li-Ion cells in series at a nominal 3.6V each.

I guess 5xAA would be even more silly, and 6 allows some headroom for a voltage regulator, and the AAs getting a bit low. It would probably work with lithium AAs, but the trouble with the flexibility of AAs is that you never know what type people are going to put in it.

Of course, the irony is that most of the electronics probably run at 5V, but some of the motors and solenoids probably need a bit more oomph to get decent frame rates and AF speeds...

16. Monobod

OK. But as long as it works......I'm happy. :)

17. Done_rundleCams

Hi Oly,

My original Q bit the bullet back near the end of November 2013 and I, consequently, picked up a Q7 in December 2013 along with the latest (my second) 06 lens which was the one that decided to cr@p out in the third week of June and then my original 06 lens (from November 2012) cr@pped out on June 29th :( Also, I need to find another Q lens to try on my Q7 to see if it has decided to jump off the bridge, as well :eek:. Nope, me Q7 seems ticketyboo :) Now, just see if I can find my other 02 (wide zoom) lens and it could be operational :)

cheers,

Jack