1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to come home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

My personal views only:

1. This young woman was 15 when she was radicalised, I believe we should at least give her a chance to be de-radicalised.

2. People charged with a crime are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Lets see what happens in a court of law, rather than trial by media or summary punishment.

3. I suspect if it was a white middle class young woman in this situation, the Government and media response would have been different.

4. Is there any proof that her personal actions have done any harm to this Country? (I am of the opinion that over the last couple of years the Maybot has done more harm to this Country).

5. She is a product of this Country, we should deal with our own problems, not expect others to do so.

Finally, I had a daughter who was subject to online grooming when she was 15. I still get a cold sweat when I think about what might have happened had we not discovered it in time. It was extremely hard to convince my daughter that she had been groomed (I suspect in part because, like ,many of us, she didn't want to believe she could be conned in such a way).

Nig, Roger Hicks, Zou and 2 others like this.
  2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I can't help feeling that it would have been better to ship her back quietly and without all this fuss. She could then be made to face whatever music was legal and appropriate.

As it is we have created a fearful mess and generated so much publicity that nobody will come out of it well.

MickLL

Nig, Trannifan, Roger Hicks and 4 others like this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Frankly I think people should only be allowed to post on the internatter if they have a government issued licence to do so and take an oath to respect British values as defined by the far right... :cool:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Judging from the content of one or two other photography forums, it would seem to be Sony mirrorless camera owners :D

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hey!!!

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Naw, they're the good guys. Now people who buy Canon or Nikon: they're suspect... ;)

7. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Guilty on both counts!

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Guilty on all three counts! :cool:

Learning likes this.
  9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Nothing, of course, because she's not here to be tried for any offence.

And if not eventually convicted of anything, there will still be the cost of supporting her and her child (her family claim to want her back, but this might not be a long term arrangement). Another long term cost, definitely to be paid by taxpayers, will be watching her and all her contacts for the rest of her life.

I suspect that governments in Europe were probably quite happy to let people like her go to Syria (even with another person's passport), probably because it solved the problem of trying to identify and monitor them, and then hope that they wouldn't survive and want to return.

I don't understand why some people have any sympathy for her: she chose to go to Syria and hopefully will remain there awaiting a 'legal process' that cannot be worse than that offered by her former friends to people they didn't like.

The story appears to have dropped off the news pages now, so she will probably be quietly flown back to the UK and the the long term costs can be added to the UK's tax burden.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Chester,

I have no sympathy whatsoever for her. I do, however, have very great sympathy for the rule of law. Apparently you don't, except when it suits you.

Also, there are things that are more important than your sodding taxes. Or mine. The rule of law is a good example.

Cheers,

R.

Nig, peterba, saxacat and 2 others like this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As you know, I'm not always a fan of the law, but where it exists it must be applied equally without prejudice.

peterba and Learning like this.