1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to come home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think you are right.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Oliver Cromwell banned decapitation for small crimes. Compassion of sorts.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

• 1803-1843: abolition of slavery.
    • 1945-1950: creation of the welfare state.
    • 1967: abortion act.
    • 1972: Acceptance of 27,200 Ugandan Asians.
    There are probably some other high spots but none spring to mind.

saxacat and Catriona like this.
  4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Name one.

S

ps OK, just seen your post above. About all, though

5. Andrew Flannigan

Indeed. That's my point.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'd add the Jews coming here from pogroms in various places. Acceptance of Protestantism and persecuted Protestants. But overall, no real open door.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Ahh well. She is being stripped of her British citizenship it would appear owing to her having dual nationality with Bangladesh. What a shame.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. Learning

If she has Bangladeshy citzenship then I welcome the move that removes British citizenship.
    If she did not have dual citizenship then sadly we should have reluctantly kept her.
    The issue of family consolidation will arrise. I firmly believe that families should consolidate in countries compatible with the family's culture.

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That would depend on Bangladesh's policy on dual nationality.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Already some major questions around the legality of the decision. UK gov has form of breaking international law on such matters so I'd expect this to drag on for a while yet.

Roger Hicks, saxacat and peterba like this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

History. For example Manchester bomber and his relatives were among many that were allowed to travel because despite being allies of al Qaeda they were considered assets. Remember that UK 'fought' certain groups in one sphere and aided them in others. Yet another reason why this case stinks of hypocrisy.

12. Learning

We acted first.

13. Learning

Was I duped by fake news? If so, I will own up.

14. Learning

You may well be proved right.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a bore but abolishing slavery is the bare minimum of human decency, not a sign of compassion. Perhaps if slaves had been compensated rather than their owners, and if it wasn't just a way of screwing the colonial French by removing their workforce...

Welfare state is a nice idea, but its creation coincided with UK actions at home and abroad which can not be considered compassionate.

Abortion act, could be a good shout. Aden mess drawing to an end but colonial troubles brewing. Accepting refugees en masse is also a reasonable demonstration of decency/compassion.

Still not very much though, is it? :(

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Has any country ever acted in a benevolent manner?

peterba and Zou like this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If they have, it was surely for the wrong reasons.

peterba likes this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

We really shouldn't demand that the morality of the present be applied to the actions of the past. The people who practiced slavery were the "moral majority" of their time and the abolitionists were a bunch of crackpots. That a tiny group of fanatics could topple the empire of slavery should be taken as a terrible warning by us all that the opposite could become true. We've already seen how easily the advances of the last 75 years can be turned back by a buffoon in the White House and thugs in the Balkans. The price of freedom really is eternal vigilance - and eternal cynicsm. :(

peterba, Roger Hicks and RovingMike like this.
  19. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Well it's more than the USA where not only do they get two weeks holiday, but there isn't even maternity leave for women, let alone men.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

More than [X] is not really the benchmark.