1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to come home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Why weren't people so outraged about the 400+ other people who went to Syria and Iraq to be with IS and have already returned to the UK?

peterba and Zou like this.
  2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

The Mail and the Express didnt raise it?

Graeme

peterba likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

How can you be so specific?

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

To be fair there's a good chance that many did so with the assistance of UK intelligence agencies.

6. Catriona

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

At the bottom of the report Kate.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

Got it thanks.

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

If it helps, I’m outraged.

Outraged of Cheshire.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

This young woman might be a special case when it comes to her treatment. This because of her youth.
    More generally what should we do with returning Daesh supporters, Extremist Islamists shortly to be released from prison, the several thousand 'known' to our security services, and of course those people doing the radicalisation?
    Please keep any suggests legal.
    I have no feasable suggestions whatsoever.

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm listening to the young woman in question being interviewed on Sky News. Her nonchalance with regard to the beheadings is unbelievable and can't do her any good whatsoever. It's as though she's living in a parallel universe - no emotion in her voice as far as I could tell. The interview is bound to be repeated so judge for yourselves.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I might find it easier to have some sympathy for her if she were to show some remorse or contrition for what she supported. She appears however to continue to support the actions of those she left the UK to become associated with. The Cambridge English dictionary defines Treason thus "Showing no loyalty to your country, especially by helping its enemies or trying to defeat its government". Has she, by supporting an entity that is an enemy of the UK, committed treason?

13. Catriona

On a relatively minor point, apparently she left Britain using her sister's passport. Now I could be wrong, but I always had the belief that you could leave your country without showing your passport, the problem arises when trying to get back in again. Perhaps someone has the correct legal position and can correct me.

14. Learning

That is a rather simplified definition. You may find the following links helpful.
    https://www.quora.com/What-constitutes-treason-in-the-UK
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/aep/Edw3Stat5/25/2/section/II
    Mostly about preservation of the monarchy and line. But does include "or be adherent to the King’s Enemies in his Realm, giving to them Aid and Comfort in the Realm, or elsewhere"
    I guess that the act was suspended during Oliver Cromwell's experiment with republicanism and later reinstated

15. Learning

I don't know about that. What makes you think so?
    Only if she is held by the Syrian government. I thought she had been found while in a Kurd controlled camp. If the Syrians were holding her then I would prefer the Syrians to try her.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The Cambridge English Dictionary version is not significantly at odds with "or be adherent to the King’s Enemies in his Realm, giving to them Aid and Comfort in the Realm, or elsewhere". It is however a generic definition that may, with some modification, apply almost anywhere. Sufficient to say that it is adequate for the purposes of this discussion.

Interesting point. The act of trying the King for "High treason" would appear to have been in itself an act of treason but clearly those involved saw no such problem. The act would have been suspended/invalidated during the rule of Cromwell as there was no King.

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Because many were disillusioned and of great help. These late die-hards are unrepentant and will always be a danger. How hard would it be to persuade her to be a suicide bomber? About 3 minutes' motivational chat I'd guess.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

She was 15 when she went and legally a child. As she is a British citizen and holds no other nationality, she has a right to come back. If there is evidence that she committed any crimes then she should face justice for said crimes.
    I would hope that she is given the opportunity to be de-radicalised. She has lost 2 children while with ISIS, which I suspect would have caused her great phycological trauma. She certainly seems desensitized to the horrors that she appears to have witnessed; how much this is down to her original personality and how much to some sort of coping mechanism, I guess will have to be decided by professionals.

If, as claimed, she was groomed and then indoctrinated, then I think, as a compassionate Country, we should give her a chance for a 'normal' life; however, I am not sure we are a compassionate Country anymore.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Apart from a few brief intervals we never were. It's a myth we like to console ourselves with.

peterba, RovingMike, RogerMac and 2 others like this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Trying hard to think when those intervals were...

peterba and Catriona like this.