1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to come home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

2. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

No

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes - but really just to annoy 'Wail' readers. ;)

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry, but I'm not making a decision without actual facts - surely only a fool would do otherwise?

Zou and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Facts are vastly overated on a forum :)

Andrew Flannigan and Benchista like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Two facts seemed to have emerged.
    1. She is a British Citizen
    2. She does not hold dual citizenship.
    So the answer to the question "Would you let her in?" has to be yes.

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Aye, she probably has the right to come back and face any punishment that she may be due through proper legal process.

Graeme

RogerMac and Roger Hicks like this.
  8. Learning

I heard Diane Abbot (Shadow Home Sec) give an opinion in an interview. Ken Clarke also on Question time. Both agree with Graeme and myself that this ISIS bride should not be prevented from returning. That is because of her British citizenship. Ken, a former Home Secretary, and a QC no less, lightly suggested that Mr Sajid Javid should consult with lawers on the matter.
    This young woman seems to have got a lot of publlicity due to her age. You may find the following link of interest.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-47252164

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No. Having heard one of the girls on TV talking about beheaded people and the discarded heads in such a nonchalant way, I hope she rots where she is.

neilt3 and Catriona like this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree.
    She forfeited being regarded as a British citizen in my view, given her obvious disregard for any sense of decency in that interview. She wanted to go there in the first place, and not in ignorance of what ISIS was doing and their aims. Now she wants to come back for the sake of her unborn child? I think not.

neilt3, Roger Hicks and dream_police like this.
  11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

She was a child when she was groomed. At the time, the legal establishment made substantial efforts to find the girls and bring them back. Did they close the case?
    But in the end it still seems that she has not had the UK citizenship removed.

Graeme

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

She cannot have her UK citizenship removed, as she does not hold dual nationality, and it is contrary to international law the make a person stateless. My attitude is that if she can get herself back to the UK under her own steam, then all well and good, but no effort should be made at the tax-payers expense to do so. When and if she returns she should then be subject to whatever process the law deems necessary in view of her undeniable membership of a proscribed organization.

AGW, RogerMac and Roger Hicks like this.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I imagine the Syrian government can deport her to her country of origin as she entered the country illegally.

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

She could go back to Turkey... or Iraq. Perhaps the newspaper owners could put her up somewhere? Nice ongoing story for them.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

And now one TV news channel is reporting more of them, already back here with children, in the Manchester area.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As did each and every British and American soldier - wonder when they'll see justice... :rolleyes:

I think that return is the only option available, legally.

Nig and peterba like this.
  17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Since when has that ever stopped them?

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That question applies equally well to both parts of my post. Government is deeply hypocritical, shock horror!

proseak, peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  19. Learning

I would hope that the the legal, although quite nasty, Syrian government put her on trial under their version of the Sharia. Most of her alleged crimes took place in that jurisdiction.I would also hope that if she would face execution under such a system that she was executed in a humane manner and offered suitable drugs to calm her down before the big day.
    I share your sentiment Kate. If ISIS had been an internationally accepted state by the UN we might have (maybe) assumed that she had by her actions renounced British citizenship. That is not the case However we still are a state that believes in law, and of decent law that encompasses our world. I understand that as she is a British citizen, and not a citizen of any other state. It is our duty to allow her back should she make it to a British consulate or embassy, or even Britain itself. When or if she arrives she should be investigated and if there is a case to answer under our laws then she should be tried and sentenced. In my ignorance of the facts I do not suggest a verdict or penalty.
    If the comments are true and if she was not under duress when she made them then it might be time for us to think of how to deal with such people.

As a proud Yorkshireman I would think it time ripe to get a working replica of the Halifax Garotte working. The present tourist pastiche is non functional, but the original blade is in a museum and could be honed to a fine finish. We did not botch the job in those far off days, although that southerner Henry 8 felt it neccessary to hire a French axeman to deal with one of his wives. He should have sent her to Halifax. Only very slightlly sorry about that. I know that it is bad taste, but I felt that a bit of black humour was appropriate just to lighten the mood. There is also a reminder that us everysoevever perfect protectors of human rights did have parts of our history every bit as cruel as that of Daesh.

20. Learning

OOPS. I made a mistake there. The device which I called the Halifax Garotte is actually the Halifax Gibbet.