1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new (S/H) car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveS, Jun 27, 2018.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

No, you're not catching on. The reduction in miles driven would bust thousands of petrol stations (as happened in 1970s) and nobody would have a petrol station within reasonable driving distance. Some like the example might not make it on a full tank. We're talking real solutions here.

Zou likes this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The person in charge of the traffic department (or whatever title it had) in a city ten miles from here, lived about one hundred miles away, travelled to work by train and was a non-driver!

3. RovingMike

Ernest Marples?

Who incidentally ovesaw the Beeching railway closures and construction of new motorways. And just happened to be MD of a road construction company.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Or 30-40 lanes, then a toll booth, then try to merge into just a few lanes.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Seeing as some of the lines Beeching cut are being restored, should we no be re-evaluating everything he did?

Being slightly controversial, could we not have car free zones in the middle of our cities? We have pedestrian shopping areas already, why not car free business districts.In truth very few people who work in central London need a car during the working day. There might be a need for electric taxis but I am sure most people wouldn't notice any difference, except the air quality.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Sounds like a step in the right direction for air quality, obesity, heart disease, etc....

I don't like getting in the car in a rush or sitting in traffic anyway. I much prefer getting in the car with a relaxed cruise in mind and most of my driving is done on my days off in pursuit of leisure.

Hoping to make is as far as John o groats next week... Got a fresh set of Bridgestone T005, fresh oil and alignment on my aero for a week or two exploring the north and north west of Scotland. :D

7. RovingMike

I have to say that since DVLA in their wisdom revoked my license due to the recent malady, I have got to know the local bus timetables quite well. The service is awful down our way, but only if you want the convenience of a car. If you adjust yourself to the bus service, rather than expect the opposite, it all works quite well.
    With a 10-12 min walk up a steep hill to the stops and walks at the other end, I also get an enforced workout.

8. RovingMike

No. Things are very different from 50 years ago and Marples put him up to it anyway for possibly devious reasons.

Look at present-day needs and act accordingly. There are far better solutions for rail than the steam / diesel choices of half a century ago.

9. RovingMike

Think the answer is not until we build far better peripheral routes to relieve the congestion around the centres that would cause. Try driving past Cambridge on A14 for an experience you'll remember.

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Back in the 1970's I was in the motor trade. One of the cars we had for a while was an AC 428 coupe. With it's 7.2 litre engine it managed 7 miles to the gallon on a good day. Fun to drive though! ;)

11. RovingMike

Lovely. Make them compulsory.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Beeching was a controversial figure, with hindsight some of the closure decisions were undoubtedly wrong, many were not, in some cases the figures used were not representative. There were anomalies, Oxenholme to Windermere remained (and does to this day) but Penrith to Keswick was closed. Many of the closed lines were carrying very little and diminishing traffic or effectively duplicated other routes, a result of the railway fever of the 19th century. There are certain routes that remain open to freight traffic that could be returned to passenger use without horrendous expenditure, there doesn't seem to be a very strong will to do this. There was a great deal of fuss when the Waverley route from Carlisle to Edinburgh was closed, indeed it has been reopened between Edinburgh and Tweedbank (Galashiels) in recent times, in reality it carried little passenger traffic and the through freight trains could use other routes. It passed through areas with very sparse populations, the reopened section is actually bringing good loadings, but it covers the more populated part of the route and there have been housing developments along this since original closure.

It should be remembered that Beeching was not just about closures, he was looking at bringing things forward, he was instrumental in the Freighliner network and the highly efficient MGR system of coal transport to power stations along with realising that Inter-City was the most viable part of the passenger operation.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The station in our town that he closed has recently (2 months ago) reopened. Trains ran through the town, but none stopped. Can't really understand how that ever made sense.

14. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Some of the closures were rigged, train timetables were changed such that trains ran when there was litle or no demand, e.g. too late or early for people to get to work, shops etc, this was often a major "reason" that proved a line was uneconomical.
    Marples transferred his interest in the road business when he became transport minister - to his wife!

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Indeed: the man who put the "bent" into "hairpin" :(

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It will have been on the basis of the receipts at the ticket office, with the running costs of the station in the mix. Remember in those days railway stations were quite heavily staffed, which would tell against anywhere with low takings.

What wasn't taken adequately into account in the assessments was the loss of feeder traffic, pre-nationalisation the LMS had actually considered closure of the Kyle and Far North lines in Scotland, but decided that the loss of feeder and follow on traffic was too high, so they remained open, and still do.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

This is a basic problem with bean-counters who don't actually understand a business. Analyze one step, imperfectly, from an incomplete understanding -- and hey, you're in business as a consultant!

Or a politician.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Indeed, the railway has suffered more than it's fair share of them.

I remember some years ago a TV programme which featured one of these people who looked at the car company Morgan. Basically increase production etc. That is not what that company and their products are about, at all.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

This is the basic premise of the most successful manufacturing economy in Europe, namely, Germany. Make a good product; stay in business. "Good product"? What's that? Short term profit is all that matters.

As distinct from the English model: as soon as you're successful, sell the company to a foreigner.

Cheers,

R.

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That was 1990 and the consultant was one John Harvey-Jones who the BBC promoted as "The Troubleshooter". Morgan seem to have recognised a clown when one was foist upon them and ignored him. In 1995 The Independent run an update on the company. Harvey-Jones is long gone but Morgan are still with us and so far as I know doing very nicely thank you.