1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new (S/H) car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveS, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Agreed and the best way to achieve that is to have a massive increase in the car club schemes. Cheap government loans that enabled their expansion could take a few million cars off the road in the next ten years. The secret is to make them big enough to encourage a massive drop in personal ownership but that won't please the manufacturers nor their retailers. :(

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Pete,

Okay for city dwellers. But we don't all live in cities, and the idea of closing down villages is a bit radical.

Cheers,

R.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Agreed. But if we got large numbers of city cars off the streets perhaps our country roads would be less congested?

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What we need is a reliable and convenient way to get more people to the places they want to go in fewer movements. Sounds simple, but really isn't!

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

They really aren't very congested where I live. Between here an Loudun (the nearest small city) I counted the cars last time: five in 16 kilometres (10 miles) on the open road. It's a bit more crowded between here and Thouars, about 20 km, but the main hold-ups tend to be tractors. Well, that and the one set of traffic lights in the next village, where traffic is one way.

Why do we need (a) quite so many big cities and (b) quite so many people in them? Bring back villages, cf. The New Gold Standard and indeed Cities and Villages. (Both on my .eu site.)

Cheers,

R.

Zou likes this.
  6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'm not suggesting that they are designed to fail after 3 years just that they know where their priorities are. Things break and are not always important enough to fix out of warranty (my cup holder for example).

The first owner shouldn't care about the next owner either as keeping them mint doesn't pay off when renting them....the penalties for above average mileage and/or below average condition might be steep but you shouldn't expect much of a reward from the dealer for low miles and mint. Think it was about £500 quid off the next car one of my customers got for a 3 year old Juke with 6000 miles on it when autotrader suggested it would cost about £2000 more to buy.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

People just need to move around less.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Or more (as opposed to sat in a vehicle for cumulative hours)?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

That is the conundrum isn't it? You might have predicted that as people became part of more and wider virtual communities, shopped online, worked from home etc, their need to physically travel would diminish. I know there was a steep decrease in car usage in early years of higher oil prices, but those slimy, profiteering, car manufacturers keep creating more fuel efficient cars to sucker us back onto the road again.

Maybe the answer is to ban all engines under 2 litre and all cars that do more than 25mpg?

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You'd have us all driving around in these:

[​IMG]

Visually at least it'd be more interesting.

Gezza likes this.
  11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That is one cool car. Not sure I'd fancy going over speedhumps in it though.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not if we ALL drove around in those... ;)

13. Roger Hicks

What sort of idiot drives around with the top up on a day like that?

Cheers,

R.

14. Andrew Flannigan

I'll bite: what the hell is it????

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Delahaye

16. Andrew Flannigan

Ta. From Wikipedia it looks like it's a Delahaye 175S Roadster (1949) with coachwork by Saoutchik?

17. RovingMike

Perfect. Needs a 6 litre engine and everyone would leave it on the drive and rarely go out in it.

Zou likes this.
  18. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

or, "Needs good home near petrol pump"

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Traffic would move more freely if we didn't keep building houses, schools, hospitals etc. with access directly off trunk roads, as opposed to access roads. We might also review the designs of some roads where there are two, or three, lanes merged into just one within a few hundred yards. Who in their right mind thinks that trying to get three lanes into one won't cause congestion?

RovingMike likes this.
  20. RovingMike

As they found dumping M4, M3, A3 directly into the M25 with no lane increases. But which they already knew from studies into the Cologne A3 ring road problems.