1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new (S/H) car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveS, Jun 27, 2018.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

For info, what is the informed opinion on most reliable automatic cars in the £3-4k bracket? That's all my new daughter-in-law will want to spend, they have other priorities. Last time I knew anything about it, Ford Fiesta and Renault Clio automatics were a disaster. The GM box and VAG were good. Toyota had had a disaster with the early Yaris. How are Hyundai i10, Nissan Micra, Citroen C3, Aygo, 107, Jazz and other small things?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Tony,

And your world picture, and what you need or think you need. My credit rating is very likely good enough, even today; but I'd never even consider a PCP, nor would have I at any time in my life.

Cheers,

R.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Something like 2/3rds of luxury cars are on rental schemes and have been for so long that the technology in them is only meant to last long enough to satisfy the first customer.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

I didn't know that, but it sounds depressingly likely.

Cheers,

R.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The problem lies in the mechanicals of the automatic boxes, many modern automatic transmissions are automated manuals to all intents and purposes, which are complex and can be troublesome. Ideally a torque-converter box is smoother and more reliable, I think Mazda mainly use the latter type and possibly Suzuki, but I am not certain about the second. BMW automatics are torque-converter types as well I believe.

Ford have had problems with clutch packs in their boxes, VAG have had a number of problems with the DSG boxes, the Fiat Dual-logic and Alfa Romeo Selespeed are reckoned to be poor, but the new Fiat TCT seems to have benefitted from lessons learned with those two. I find www.honestjohn.co.uk is an unbiased reviewer (he was a Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent), he states that the car he receives most complaints about is the VW Golf MkVI, having owned the previous model this does not surprise me, I thought it was a pile of cheaply made junk and it's successor was a cheaper to make version of it.

RovingMike likes this.
  6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The problems are probably several fold, a high price when new car still has those repair costs when it becomes older, they are often the first to be fitted with new technology that is not proven, high maintenance costs can lead to skimping in this department and depreciation on some is eye-watering. Also many people really do not want these cars when they are older, for some/all of the previous reasons, or simply they are perfectly happy with a small hatchback which does all they need.

daft_biker likes this.
  7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would be very surprised if it was only 2/3, but it's certainly not true that the technology is only designed with that sort of lifetime in mind.

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

We have had a Mitsubishi Colt for some while and has been very reliable. It has a 6 speed gearbox which can be used either as a clutch-less manual or fully automatic. It's 1300cc four door (there are smaller engined and two door versions), nice to drive and quite quick.

RovingMike likes this.
  9. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I drove S/H vehicles for a lot of years. Being a mechanic made the repairs much less costly.
    One of the things I found is that once you start spending money repairing a vehicle it did not end.
    Something else would invariably go wrong with it and when that was repaired it would be
    something else.
    I have a 2016 Honda Civic right now my second new car in over 40 years of driving.
    The Honda entertainment system does double duty as the climate control and a trip computer and does
    many other functions. If something ever went wrong with it the cost of repairing it could be substantial.
    The electronics in newer vehicles scare me.

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Back in '70s, a guy I knew in Newcastle had a Mitsubishi Colt - the Galant GTO - looked very different from present day Colts. :eek:

Mind, it was just a Mustang wannabe, I think.

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

All the cars myself or my family have had have been S/H, the Rover was the "newest" at only 3 years old when I bought it, previously it belonged to the Rover Engineering Division. Buying S/H the initial depreciation has happened, and hopefully most of the bugs have been ironed out but you pretty well have to take what's available, rather than spec'ing the car that you want.
    We bought S/H 'cos that's all we could afford, but now I have the funds to buy new (Even on a PCP) I think I'd want to.

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Damn' Mustang nearly killed me once. The company I worked for left a Mustang for me at the airport to collect, and I had some 30 miles to go to get to the office. At home, in Bahrain, I had a Mercedes, and when I got into the Mustang and navigated out of the airport and onto the freeway I was impressed by how the Mustang felt like the Mercedes in terms of ride, acceleration, creature comforts etcetera. Then I got to my exit from the freeway, pulled off to the right, and then got onto a ramp turning hard left to go under the freeway, just as I would in the Merc. The car just gave up. What? You want to turn? Sorry, I don't do that! The right front wheel was in fresh air and the only thing that saved my ass was that the car was owned by a VP of the company who had just flown out and wanted the car back at the office, and he had fitted the car with a limited slip diff, so I was able to boot the back end over and then drive out. It was all a bit squirrelly for while!

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If my current car fails I'll probably move over to renting one when I need it. Does that mean I'll be rich? :confused:

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That's for you to know and for anybody else who is interested to speculate!

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The only vehicles I have bought new are those that amongst the least severe depreciation. Most of my cars have been used, I have a liking for Alfa Romeos and prefer to let somebody else take the hit. I bought a six month old Giulietta from Motorpoint a couple of years ago, it was six months old and about £8k below the new price.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Fancy a new Mercedes with 12 sensors and 18 actuators just for the climate control?

Hope they still work by the time I can afford an E63 wagon with twice as many horses as my current Saab. Think they can loose something like 100 grand in 10 years in depreciation....or at least that is what I'm hoping!

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Fwiw here is a list of cars using the ZF 8 speed gearbox. The 9 speed is pretty common too afaik although much depends on the way an automatic gearbox is programmed and they often have different modes to change the way the car behaves.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

DaveS and RovingMike like this.
  18. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I think a good credit rating will offer a much better interest rate on PCP, but if you have a mortgage they literally throw money at you.

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I had a friend who was loaded. He had a massive, mortgage free house and several million all from inheritance/trust. He wanted to buy an expensive car, which at the time was on a good finance deal, and it made more sense financially for him to take that rather than draw money down from his savings etc. He was working too so was drawing a wage. The finance company wouldn't finance the car due to him having virtually no credit rating.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

35 years ago we were wondering how the Boeing 757, one of the first Glass Cockpit aircraft, would survive with third tier operators, it appears that our concerns were unfounded and they have coped very well. The systems in modern cars have much in common with aircraft technology and should be similarly reliable. Aircraft get used much harder than cars, a 747 or 777 can clock-up 4,000 hours per year, an average car does 10,000 miles or 300 hours. During those 4,000 hours we wouldn't expect much in the way of electronic issues, and all systems have redundancy or multiple redundancy so there is more to go wrong. I see no reason to believe that any car, using similar technology, would be designed to last only long enough to satisfy its first user, contrary to popular belief it is difficult to design something to fail from normal use, even harder to do so to order.