1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new (S/H) car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveS, Jun 27, 2018.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you can cycle up that hill at anything in excess of a crawl I would be happy to watch:)

Zou likes this.
  2. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Keep what ya got repair it and keep it running. You know it's foibles and as said 650 is cheaper than ten grand.. don

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Needs a new clutch? Drive it until it needs a new flywheel too.

And then buy an automatic!

ascu75 likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'd be even happier if I had the ability to do it. ;)

As a cyclist myself I always made sure that cars could pass me safely by riding to the left when climbing hills and never obstructing traffic where it could be avoided. (Rule 66; point 3: never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends. point 6: be considerate of other road users... etc)

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Some cyclists see it as a point of honour not to get off and push up hills, well I always tried no to, even if that means wobbling wildly and moving slower than a snail. It takes a more reflective view, and the passage of years, to realise just how stupid and dangerous that really was. I haven’t ridden for some years and now find it difficult to understand what today’s cyclists get out of it, crowded roads, potholes and a lack of secure parking, I don’t see the fun in riding on the roads.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Given the garage a bell, bloke says the clutch will last a couple of months, and there's nothing else likely to go bang in the foreseeable, so mid July when I'm on school holiday I'll bung it in.

Thinking....given the normal car usage, I would expect a new clutch to be needed earlier in the car's life when it is still valuable. It's because I do a very low millage that these distance-dependant niggles have surfaced about now, when the car's 18 years old.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Ha, the high-end-ish Seat Ateca that I've been spec'ing out has 4WD and a Dual-Clutch auto. So twice as much to go wrong ;).

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I had second hand cars for a long time, and over the last 8 years I've had PCP's. I much prefer a regular outgoing payment, to the random chaotic risk of repairs and not knowing what the next cost might be.

For me, the regular outgoing cost is less stress, less hassle, and less worry and that's worth all the money in the world.

So I would switch to a PCP, get a decent new car, use it for 3 years without any repair costs (warranty repairs, no MOT, probably no wear and tear costs) and then replace it.

Note: It's worth stating that we could never buy 'expensive' used cars, but the cost of cars and repairs in a single 3 year period was so great, that paying £200pm for a new car PCP is easily cheaper.

DaveS likes this.
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Dual clutch is different to a torque convertor automatic and not as good in low traction....the kind of thing 4wd might be handy for.

The yanks sussed it out years ago on the Jeep grand wagoneer or whatever it was when they put a torque convertor auto on a SUV. Makes pulling away on hills and in snow a doddle as you don't have to worry about clutch slip as it a fluid coupling and just generates heat for a transmission cooler. Then when you are cruising the new ones can have loads of gears for economy and lock the fluid coupling so to minimise transmission losses.

My auto is supposed to be about 20lb/ft down on a manual gearbox but it still goes like stink and makes life easy. Clutches wouldn't last long the way you can drive an automatic ;)

DaveS likes this.
  10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I had never considered PCP (Thought that was a particularly nasty psychoactive substance). Had a look on the Seat site for a high-end Ateca, and looks do-able. Whether they'd consider someone retired and living on savings until HMG coughs up (About 4 years) is another matter.
    Their PCP runs two years, but I think you have to pay an extra £23 a month for their service plan.

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I've heard that before. I think Volvo do an 8 speed auto box, but not sure if it's Dual Clutch out TC. The Ateca I was looking at is 7-Speed.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I worked for a car company for many years. Our sales director (later MD) always used to say "Rich people buy property and rent cars, poor people buy cars and rent property". And he's right in the sense that money in property increases over time, whereas in cars, it depreciates. Makes very little sense to buy a new car.

Roger Hicks and DaveS like this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Automatics are an acquired taste, one I haven't taken to yet, if you want/like automatics then fine. I like them on the wrong side of the road but having had one for 11 months I don't think I want another.

PCPs are all very well if you don't want to own the car or actually do anything except drive it an put fuel in it. I cover around 12,000 miles a year and that would probably make the payment higher than I would want but then as I can fix many things myself I can keep my outgoings low.

If you have a reliable car it is always going to be cheaper to keep it going than to replace it, until such time as the parts are unavailable or the repair cost exceeds the cost of a replacement.

Roger Hicks and DaveS like this.
  14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The VAG DSG boxes don't have the best of reliability records, there are several different versions, one is better than the others apparently.

DaveS likes this.
  15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input guys.

ATM it's slightly academic as I'll be keeping the Rover for now, but something to think about for later.

Never really thought of it like that, but it makes sense when you do the calculations, and provided you're happy changing cars every 2 or 3 years

16. EightBitTony

My mother-in-law is retired and continues to get PCP's, just depends on your credit rating really.

17. EightBitTony

A car for me is a means to an end. I personally only learned to drive a short number of years ago, although my wife has been driving much longer. I enjoy driving, but I don't enjoy owning cars. So I totally get why a PCP might not be for some people, but we've got a car we could never afford outright, and it costs us nothing but fuel and the monthly payment (which as I say, is still lower than some years we paid out for repairs). Each to their own :)

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well for 25 years, I changed cars every 6-9 months. ;)

19. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Buy a landy defender...….that way you'll always be repairing it so you won't notice all those bills! ;)

BigLandy

Roger Hicks and EightBitTony like this.
  20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Will,

Defender? WIMP! Buy a proper Series!

Cheers,

R.

BigWill, ascu75 and DaveS like this.