1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new (S/H) car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveS, Jun 27, 2018.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Ask a 9-5 owner how much they are looking forward to having to move on. The choice is something really expensive or something that feels slow.:(

I could have had a new Dacia Logan MCV with, if I was lucky, 89hp on a payment scheme for similar money to what this Saab 9-5 Aero with 260ps has been costing me so far.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nige,

Well, yes. In about 1973 my father remarked that my 14-year-old 1959 Rover 105S was a lot quieter than his almost new Austin Maxi, especially in the rattle department (quite apart from the reduced engine noise, tyre noise, etc.)

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Absolootly. The turbo could shift, but the i was underpowered, but it was also terribly badly built. Thrown together at 4pm on a Friday I think.

Plus brake pads wore out in 6000 miles and destroyed the discs (no brake warning) and the automatic g/b dismantled itself after 9000.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That was pretty common for all early Asbestos-free pads; much harder friction material that still didn't last very long, but meant in some cases one set of disks for every two sets of pads. Big problem in the industry at the time.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You picked all the wrong options! NA engine and the auto box! No wonder the brakes didn’t last. I had three 9000 turbos and all reached over 100,000 miles. Only the ‘91 2.3 had a problem, the timing chain, which was a known issue with that year.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Well assuming the check engine light didn't go away because I disconnected the negative battery terminal or that I had to clear it with a code reader £28.20 fixed it and got me a new sponge to wash the holiday dirt off.:)