1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new (S/H) car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveS, Jun 27, 2018.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

It's reached that point.

Put my old Rover 25 GTi in for service and MOT, and while it passed the MOT (Surprised) the clutch needs replacing, has about a month left, the garage thinks.

Cost: £650 or so on top of the service and MOT, as much or more than the car's worth.

Thinking of buying a S/H Cash-Cow, er sorry, Qashcai, the local dealer has a 2011 2.0L N-Tech 4WD for £10k which will do as a stop-gap until I finish moving and all the finances are settled, then buy something new and up to date.

Thoughts?

I know all things are impermanent, but I'll be very sorry to see that car go.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Repair it, £650 is less than the £10,000 for the Nissan.

DaveS and Zou like this.
  3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Ok, that's one vote for repair, well, one-and-a-half as I'm leaning that way myself. But even after I've repaired it something else could break on me. Thinking.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I keep a record of all costs (including the original price) and mileage. So long as the overall cost per mile is reducing or stable it's worth keeping the car. If it starts climbing then it's time to look around.

FujiFilm SL300 8GB05 DSCF3761.JPG

DaveS likes this.
  5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I would run the Rover until it broke then repair or buy a REALLY cheap runaround (one you could dump if it broke). Then think about a proper replacement when your finances are in shape. I would not spend £10k on an interim vehicle.
    MickLL

DaveS and Zou like this.
  6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, so far all votes are either to repair, or keep watch. Unfortunately I'm not so organised as to have kept track of running costs. Time to do so?

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I bought the car in 2003 and it cost me £8000. Probably worth about £500 now, so £7500 over 15 years = £500 per year, or roughly what it's worth now. Yes, I know it's an exponential decay curve, but it's probably flatlined at scrap value.

The cost of repair vs cost of new car is what has kept it alive these past 4-5 years when I've had some pretty hefty bills. The blown head gasket that led to a head skim being the latest and worst, at £700+ but at least did get a new timing belt which would otherwise be a serious cost (I had it done once before the head gasket) and should last it out.

So Keep until something catastrophic happens?

Zou likes this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Another vote for repair, plus an idea on how to buy cheap, reliable cars. Ask your mechanic are most reliable and easiest to repair, with the widest range of affordable parts. Mine recommended a Peugeot 205; I now run a 309, which uses about 90% of the same mechanical parts as a 205.

Cheers,

R.

DaveS, Zou and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Entirely my approach, Having spent vast sums on cars so far - Jags, BMWs, Rovers (when they made good cars like the 3500) Austin Healey, Mercedes, Saab - lots of Saabs - and even a hand built Gilbern Invader, I now buy something cheap that does the job, keep it running 'till it dies, chuck it and buy another cheap job. Fortunately, one of my friends out here has the dealership for one of large Japanese car manufacturers, so I get a good choice of decent trade-ins.

DaveS likes this.
  10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Well i'll be the odd one out. Buy another car. Does the 10K have to be a gap filler though, will that not do for your next car?

Perhaps I am the odd one, but other than when I was a young lad, I have never had a car that i've run into the ground, not even close. I guess therefore that I am biased.

DaveS likes this.
  11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Far as I can see, best value in cars is actually around £3-5k. Getone that loses its value quickly, because that is not related to how good or bad it is. If you get something with 35-40k miles on it, you have something that will cost you far less than £1k p.a. depreciation. My son bought an 8 year old Golf GTi for £3k six years ago and has had only a few hundred in repairs.

DaveS likes this.
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I agree Mike there is definitely a "sweet spot" on price. Depending on the car it can be between £3K and £10K but around the £5K mark would be about right given the size Dave is considering.

DaveS likes this.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Given that you've already had the head gasket done (a common fault on Rovers), had a new cam belt and the car gets serviced I'd say there are no major bills likely in the near future. Assuming the bodywork is in good shape I'd probably do the clutch and run it until the next big bill comes along.

As for buying used cars there's a reason why most of the cars on AutoTrader adverts with 150,000+ miles on them are VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Honda, SAAB and Volvo. Well made cars that have good service histories in the main and bargains to be had if you're not fussed about age.

DaveS and Zou like this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Repair. Spend good money on things which matter more.

DaveS likes this.
  15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, decision made: will phone the garage in the morning.

Nige, I don't think I've run this one "into the ground", as it's been serviced regularly, every year with the MOT plus had lots of other work, recently new rear disks.

Oh, and it's only done 45k from new.

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Dave,

Good grief! My Peugeot has covered 294,000 km.

The questions are always (a) what's it worth to you and (b) how much would you have to pay to get something of similar reliability once you've had the repair done?

Cheers,

R.

DaveS likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Exactly. My last car was just a drive or two off of 200k but a minor scrape made it a write off. For what I got for it it would have been nigh on impossible to get anything even close to its reliability/cost performance. Soon got used to not having a car though I appreciate some folk have a greater need.

Roger Hicks and DaveS like this.
  18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Where I'm moving to a car is more than just a convenience. Although there is a bus route just down the road, it runs every hour along the coast from Weymouth to Bridport and on to Axminster. I think I'd want more flexibility. And I can't carry telescopes etc on a push bike.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And the coast road between Weymouth and Bridport is a killer rollercoaster on a bike with some nasty steep hills and speeding motorists...

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Not to mention cyclists who'll do such helpful things as crawling up Common Lane 2 or even 3 abreast! The B3157 is not my favourite road. :(