1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This year's graduates

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by AlanW, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Oh come on...

It's like any 'Art related' course. The students don't do any work until the very last minute.

Look at Erm, she's always saying she leaves her assignments until the last minute.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's a really interesting project - I love the way he's shot it, completely non-judgemental as a photographer - fascinating.

The LUG pushed him to get it going, and pushed him to make it into a book - and it's apparently pretty successful. In this case, the words of the people featured really make it - Kyle hates it if you say that to him, as he's very much a "the picture is the story" guy, but he's also brilliant at finding the right few words, generally the subject's own, to move his pics onto another plane IMHO.

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

It's certainly an impressive piece of work, apart from the logistics of finding and photographing so many people, when you factor in that the subject matter is passionate about their right to carry guns - and lots of them in some cases! - I think 'non-judgemental' is not only the safest way to shoot these pictures but by taking them in a normal, straightforward way only adds to the scariness of them, and as you say, the quotes moves things up a notch . . . . especially when they says things like

"I own a gun because I'm a [****]' American and a Marine. It's my God-given right."

or

"Owning a firearm brings me some sort of balance. When I am angry at the world I find relief in dropping a clip into the air. And, at the same time, if the world threatens me or those I love, I find relief in the protection it gives me.".

He's a braver man than me!

As a footnote, I worked for a number of years with a woman from California. When she finally realised that her husband loved his guns more than her, she got in the car one night and didn't stop for 500 miles . . . then she moved continent!

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, those are the most interesting quotes.

There's no doubt that for those of us for whom guns aren't an everyday thing, seeing them so casually in people's environments is, well, literally shocking.

5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Yes its the ordinariness of it all that shocks . . . . even for me, who once considered police travelling in armour plated Land Rovers and carrying sub-machine guns as normal!

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

There are some seriously scary people on there. A few quotes:

Jim: When I was diagnosed with cancer I found myself and my family in need of protection. I was too old to fight, too sick to run, and since cancer took my vocal cords, I couldn't yell for help. I purchased my first ever firearm.

Stan: I think everybody should have a gun. It levels the playing field.

Dan: I consider the ownership of arms not only a right, but the duty of a free people to themselves and future generations.

7. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

That's bollox. You do NOT have three or four years to think about it. And I do NOT leave everything till the last minute :(

I worked really hard last year, and got a Distinction, so f* you /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Well I dont think us lot are necessarily their audience.

But thats a problem of art in general, they dont communicate clearly. Although I understand what theyre getting at with most of the work, I think most of them explain it fairly well.

9. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Agreed. AG magazine's resident columnist David Lee has a hating for what he calls "state art". His essay in issue #41 of the magazine, ostensibly about the book reGeneration of a couple of years back, was an amusing lambasting of the arts establishment, and how he believes some students feel they have to satisfy the artistic trends of today and satisfy that establishment. The ludicrous bumpf is all part of that.

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Well, I think its more that its part of the way degrees are taught and part of the assessment criteria...which is in part 'the establishment'.

But it also gives them a clearer idea of what it is theyre trying to communicate so they can assess along the way whether they are on track. As well as giving the examimer that clarity, to assess whether theyve met their criteria. Its not really about a final product, its more a process and a guideline to whether theyre meeting their goals.

11. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Kyle Cassidy - in today's Sunday Times magazine

The Sunday Times magazine

In the paper copy it runs to 7 pages with 9 photographs :cool:

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Re: Kyle Cassidy - in today's Sunday Times magazine

WTF? Uzi? They named their son after an Uzi? I suppose he should be grateful that his dad wasn't a fan of WWII German machine guns as MG-42 hasn't got the same ring to it.

Gun ownership on such a scale is particularly scary but the type of weapons they were proudly displaying is alarming. Why would anyone not in the armed forces ever need an M4 carbine?

One more reason to add to the list of why not to visit the US of A.

13. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that it's the case that a photograph must stand alone without words. I think they can but it's not vital. Adding words can significantly increase the impact of an image. Look at the work of Duane Michals or Jim Goldberg.

Some of the words that accompany artworks at exhibitions can be a bit irritating. Too many words with not enough meaning. But often with a second reading I find there is some worthwhile information.

14. Ferrisc

Ferrisc Well-Known Member

I chose to look at the University of Westminster section as I graduated from there 12 years ago.

1st photographers work I looked at was technically incompetent IMHO.

2nd was just plain boring with many images having distracting backgrounds.

After that I just can't be bothered to look at any others right now. If not the photography graduates, then I hope the business graduates still have to produce work of high quality or I might as well put my degree in the bin.

Ferrisc.