1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This weeks mag

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by AGW, Aug 19, 2019.

1. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Worst ever. well in terms of print quality. About a quarter of the pages are extremely faded. Probably I got the last one of the press as the ink ran out but.....?

Graeme

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you want good print quality in a photo mag then ration yourself to once a month with BJP. The downside of that is that you get very nicely printed pretensious crap. Now and again you get something that makes it worthwile to subscribe.
    Something I did appreciate in the last issue of AP is that they, in common with a practical monthly, made Serif Affinity Photo a best buy. I know that this is silly but I do like it when the 'experts' reassure me that I have made the right choice in my Adobe replacement.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Mine is Ok and very interesting.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

As Roger here.

S

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Mine came today. Quality OK

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My subscription copy is fine.

If on subscription, ring up and ask for a replacement to be sent out immediately.

If purchased from a shop, hopefully you have the receipt so that you can ask for a replacement (the shop can then return it with any unsold copies).

7. Learning

Mine was as good as usual. The problem is always the same, the paper. For £2.99 single copy and presumably something less on subscription (I hope. I haven't checked recently what I pay) we can't expect better.

8. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

Sorry to hear you got a poorly-printed copy Graeme. The printers assure us this was limited to only a small number of copies in the overall run, so please take the steps suggested above to get a new one. But even one poorly-printed copy is too many.

Out of interest, would anyone be prepared to pay extra for better paper? We always face the quandary of whether raising the price in order to use better paper would lose more readers than it might gain.

9. RogerMac

How much extra?

10. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

Well I guess that's the real question! Obviously the higher the cover price, the better the paper can be. For an extra 50p we might be able to up the quality slightly, but for £10 an issue like BJP we'd be able to use top-quality paper. The chances of anyone paying £10 *weekly* seem pretty remote, though.

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.....but I will just suffer like a good Presbyterian! I can make out most of the interesting bits.

Graeme

12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Would the advertisers be prepared to pay more for better paper too? If not, I don't think it will work.
    The paper quality must be just one of the compromises made to keep the magazine affordable.

The popular 'lifestyle' magazines that use the best quality paper are monthlies, and have advertisers prepared to pay a lot.
    If you want to understand how these magazines 'work', look at the advertisers who use them. For example, there is a reason why magazines that pretend to be about interior design or gardening have advertisements for very expensive cars: the advertisers have little interest in the editorial content of the magazine, just in its 'reader profile'.

Fortunately AP doesn't try to chase this kind of 'reader profile' (although I sometimes wonder about the 'male jewellery' aspect of some reviews of the most expensive hardware), so it's not dependant upon the likes of BMW and Range Rover for any of its income.

The recent and more frequent articles aimed at less wealthy photographers are to be welcomed: perhaps the management have realised that they outnumber the wealthy ones. The problem is to make them buy an issue - I suspect that many of the beginners who post basic queries on the AP Forum never buy the magazine, because often an article published with the last month or two answers their question or provides the advice the want.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It seems to be a fairy standard quality for a commodity weekly.
    I doubt we could get much better paper for any where near the current cover price.
    I am also Sure that your print buyer has set his specifications as high as he dares when putting the contract out for quotation. To change the quality specifications mid contract, would be counter productive.
    Paper makers target their makings for specific usages and margins have always been very tight.
    Buying for a medium term contract if very different to a one off job. Where suitable makings or warehouse stock lots are usually available at very competitive prices.

That being said it must be worthwhile testing the water when the contract is next up for renewal.
    Some one may well be able to offer a better quality at a competitive price. But this is one area where Brexit could throw a spanner in the works in the form of new tarrifs.

14. Learning

Yes I would, but raising prices at a time when many people our counting their pennies I think would be high risk.
    The paper lacks opacity but is good enough.
    I have not had any badly printed issues recently. Registration is accurate, inking seems correct, and it is rare to see random splodges of ink. Recently even the wire stiching seems to have not damaged the centre pages of the fragile sheet. To my amateur eye I think that the printers are making the best of the economical material.

Some of those articles are sponsored MPB. They are labled as Advertisment Feature so no problem there. Such articles no doubt help to keep the magazine affordable and are often interesting. Sometimes they might even by beneficial to competitors who also advertise preused equipment.

15. RogerMac

I have just had a very critical look at the quality of the illustrations in the various magazines I receive and AP is by no means the best (the best is the British Museum one, but that is a quarterly, subscription only) however I am not complaining about AP and whilst one always likes quality I am personally satisfied with the current offering

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Learning likes this.