1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This weeks a p

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by jbhhall, Oct 27, 2017.

1. jbhhall

jbhhall Well-Known Member

Looking through a p this week I had to skim past the rhino ,I think you should have put a warning on front cover. I hate to see things like that its horrible. I still haven't read that page I hope some of the money you get from ap this week you donate to the rhino .I usually keep my ap's but sorry this one going in bin.

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Why not give your AP to somebody who will appreciate it?

AP sometimes plays too safe, so I'm glad glad that somebody was offended by this image.
    Note that I didn't say it was beautiful, or amazing, or any of the usual terms.
    But it deserved to be in AP.

3. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

This image has been a controversial choice of winner of WPOTY because many people just want to see petty pictures of wildlife and not be confronted by the reality of what is happening to it. We are publishing a piece discussing this very topic in a forthcoming issue and indeed we are donating the fee to a conservation charity of the author's choice, at his request.
    As for putting a warning on the cover, I'm not sure this is practical or desirable - should all newspapers put warnings on the cover saying readers might find some of the pictures inside upsetting (or perhaps only if its of an animal, and not human suffering?). Should we give a similar warning next time we publish the famous napalm girl picture? Its a minefield, and I must confess to be being both perplexed and frustrated at how thin-skinned the world seems to be becoming. It's never been so easy to cause offence to someone or other.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I doubt that. Mr(s) Grundy has always been with us but previously (s)he had to get past the letters editor. Now (s)he just types away on farcebook or twerper.

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

It's not nice to look at, but it happens, and the only way it will stop is awareness and public outrage, which hopefully, this kind of image will promote.
    Sticking your head in the sand and hoping it will go away only works up until the age of about five.

Trannifan and Roger Hicks like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

To bring this issue a bit closer to home, how about a neighbour's feral cat tearing a songbird's nest, and nestlings, to pieces. I don't have a picture but I did see this after the bin men left the bin too close to a blackbird's nest previously protected by pyracantha. I heard a racket and looked through the window to investigate the cause without a camera.
    Suppose I had decided to deliberately replicate the event the following year, so as to photograph it. Would that be morally justified?

7. Chester AP

Of course, in some ways some people can be five years old forever...

I recall a year or two ago AP printed an image of (live) sheep outside the open door of a slaughterhouse where dead sheep were hanging from the ceiling - I think it had won a competition or award. I hope that 'jbhhall' didn't see that one.

Personally, I'm offended by images of cute little furry animals taken with £2,000+ camera bodies and £9,000+ lenses, but I don't expect any other forum members to think it is worth discussing. Must have been my sheltered upbringing, or possibly that I was never given enough pocket money when I was a child.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

If it belongs to a neighbour, then surely it isn't feral?

Cheers,

R.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

depends on whether they feed it or not.

10. Chester AP

Some cats manage to be fed by lots of people who all believe they 'own' the cat...

A better example might have been some idiot's dog, not on its lead, being allowed to harass live stock and being shot dead by a farmer.
    This happens occasionally in the UK, and any serious 'photo essay' about sheep farming could include dead or aborted lambs and a dog
    killed by a shotgun. Again, not the usual furry animal pictures, but real life, like the rhino picture.

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Indeed. I have read that there are more cat "owners" than cats in the UK.

Even so, "feral" means "gone wild", which is not really compatible with people providing food and shelter (PeteRob's point, not yours)..

Point thoroughly taken about dogs!

Cheers,

R.