1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Third party lens issue

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by jimh, Oct 4, 2017.

1. jimh

jimh Member

Having recently updated the firmware for my D610 I now cannot use AF on a Sigma 70-300 apo, but I can get MF confirmation. All my other Nikon lenses work ok. The Sigma works on an old F80 film camera ok, AF is fine. Have Nikon tweeked their programming to exclude non-Nikon lenses?

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Probably :eek:

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If you were the original purchaser of the lens and still have the receipt it is possible that Sigma will deal with it. They have re-chipped lenses in the past or may be able to do some firmware update. It is worth contacting them at least.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It seems that rather than pay for the data and a license to program their lens chips Sigma resorted to reverse-engineering. Hence the problems that you don't get with other third party makers that did get the proper data and licenses. Here is one reference.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

a service centre may be able to restore the previous firmware version. It can't normally be done by a user - it is designed as a one-way process.

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

As been said Sigma do re chip some of their lenses whether yours is one of them I don't know, however I have heard of this problem before when new firmware has been downloaded. Strange but I have a very old Sigma 400mm apo lens from my film days and this has worked on all my Nikons to present day, I always use man. focus on it though but the A/F seems to work on it ok. When I sold all my film gear it was pointless letting the Sigma go, the dealer was offering next to nothing for it, so I kept it, as I only use this lens a couple of times a year it was one of my better decisions I have made regarding getting rid of my old photo gear.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Some of the film era Sigma lenses, well the primes anyway, were far better than most seem to think they are imho. I had two that were tremendous, a 24mm f2.8 and a 400mm f5.6 (non-apo). Both went quite recently in a rationalization and consolidation of gear, via our not so old friend Ebay, the 24 sold very quickly, and for more than I paid for it, the 400 took a bit longer, but made the figure I wanted. Both autofocused without problems on every Minolta film or Sony body they were used on, including an SLT.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As far as I am aware Nikon don't licence their interface so no third part produces licensed lenses for Nikon cameras, if your third party lens doesn't work after a firmware upgrade that is not Nikon's problem. As far as they are concerned you should have bought Nikon lenses.

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

This is for a lens design, nothing to do with AF as far as I can see.

11. jimh

jimh Member

Amazingly simple answer to my problem.......camera body motor that drives the old tech Sigma has gone tits up, all my other lenses have their own built in motors, that's why they work ok. Sigma lens works ok on the old "fillum" camera, so the cheapest solution is to buy another more modern lens rather than take out a mortgage for a Nikon repair! Took me long enough to work that out!

12. jimh

jimh Member

The mystery deepens, the drive is not from the camera body but the internal lens motor. WTF!

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the recent D600/610/800 firmware update was to allow the use of the new(ish) Nikon P lenses on these cameras and that a side-effect of this was that sometimes the autofocus would no longer work on some third party manufacturer's lenses - including Sigma.

I seem to even recall Sigma releasing a firmware update for their most recent lenses (the ones with the USB programming dock) to counteract the Nikon update.

Cheers, Jeff

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Obviously the update has rendered the reverse-engineered chip in the Sigma incompatible with the camera, unless the motor has coincidentally failed simultaneously. Perhaps you could try it on another camera body?

15. jimh

jimh Member

Problem almost solved, nice man on E-bay sent me a Nikon 70-300 and it works a treat, Sigma has been relegated to the "fillum" camera bag. I wonder if this affects all other third party lens manufacturers, my Sigma has Roman numerals for aperture settings so it's not brand spanking.

16. jimh

jimh Member

Been through all of that, see my original post. A second hand lens cost less than a new/replacement body! :)

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The only Nikon mount Sigma I have is an old 28-135 zoom. I know it works on my D50 but I suppose I should check it on the rather more recent D5000 and 7000 bodies - not that I really use it...

Compatibility issues with Sigma are a well known problem in the world of Canon, I have half a dozen old Sigmas that don't work on modern digital EOS bodies nor on certain late film models either.:rolleyes:

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Well I did try and yes, it's perfectly happy on the more recent bodies. Metering and everything seemed OK. AF on the D7000 seemed accurate (no AF on D5000). Maybe I'll give it a work out and see how it does in the real world.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That was what I thought but the exposures were all over the place.