1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There's a right way and a wrong way...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

From what I have seen they want to cause disruption, and the associated additional environmental damage, at the same time as wanting changes to prevent environmental damage. Mike your minds up people, either cause disruption or get out of the way and prevent any worse damage.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

daft_biker likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

To be fair, the protesters are only asking the Government to pledge the achievement of carbon neutrality by 2025, which is pretty easy to do- the pledge bit anyway.
    By the way Andrew I would say the extreme right are always open to suggestions that make life easy for everyone:rolleyes:

peterba likes this.
  5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Where's Napoleon when you need him? It just needs 'a whiff of grapeshot'. :eek::D

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I don't like illegal protests either.

This one seems to amount to wanting people to stop liking money PDQ! Discouraging things that contribute to the climate problem through laziness would be a good place to start, IMHO, and the obesity rate just highlights that even more.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Rentacrowd doing a fine business I'm sure. The majority of people will be very predictable protest industry professionals. Which is not to say the message isn't quite justified.

8. Andrew Flannigan

To be clear I don’t disbelieve in climate change but the evidence is that we’re emerging from a relatively cool period and I have yet to be convinced that human efforts have more than a peripheral bearing on the event. The problem is that “Climate Change” looks awfully like a religion where disbelievers are burnt at the stake for daring to disagree with the elders of the church.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

peterba likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

But what was the CO2 concentration in the 15th century before the North American and African extinctions massively reduced the herds?

11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Look at the graphs.
    800000 years worth do you?

S

peterba likes this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

But just think how much environmental pollution is created making his blockbuster programmes. All that travel, visiting environments under threat, all those people required, the travel, fuel used pollution created by them and their equipment and the disruption not to mention the anthropomorphism fed to impressionable families.
    I'd rather an environment at the edge of civilisation was left alone. Don't encourage people to go there. Don't attribute human values to animal behaviour. Leave well alone and give his money and what it cost all of us to pay for the broadcasts to charity. Do more good.

13. RovingMike

Yes, so would most that have developed out of that. I met many successful Africans in Nairobi who vehemently opposed allowing TV into rural areas, because it would make village people want what they had. Afraid it gets very close to pulling the ladder up....

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe, but I remember what countries did when they wanted to climb the ladder very quickly. I recall Mexico city and surrounds that didn't see the light of the sun until about midday because of the pollution from industrial areas. China is in a similar environmental disaster although ostensibly trying to wriggle out of it.
    Would you rather see a remote tribe brought into the 21st century or would you leave them untouched by us?

15. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That's correct, David - that's precisely what they're asking.

As it happens, I was on Waterloo bridge, yesterday........ lending my own modest amount of moral support to this effort. The atmosphere was very peaceful, and very good-natured. These people are just attempting to get our excruciatingly useless so-called government to do something sensible. o_O

It takes considerable guts to do what the protesters are doing, and of course, we all know full-well that any protest which doesn't cause some degree of disruption will be totally ignored by the media.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    EightBitTony likes this.
  16. RovingMike

I would present them with the evidence for and against and let them decide. I'm sure many would opt for the status quo, but most of those starving in the African hinterland might take a different view.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm sometimes accused of putting the mental in environmentalist but XR are to my mind hugely misguided in both approach and application.

18. peterba

Andrew, with whom would you suggest that they ("the trendy left") have a constructive dialogue? The current government is utterly beyond any kind of constructive dialogue with anyone, about anything.

So... with whom could/should XR converse?

19. peterba

Maybe so, Zou... however, for 'misguided-ness', the currrent government is hard to beat, with regard to environmental policy. Or any policy, for that matter.

20. Andrew Flannigan

That's true of roughly 60% of them but the other 40% are not entirely insane. The problem is that both left and right want "the quick fix". What we need are people who understand that we must look for the slow fix: the changes that are gradual enough to carry the majority along and which therefor will actually work.