1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The World Cup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

On the TV this morning they are saying Suarez could get a lifetime ban, but ONLY from international football. If this comes to pass, what a farce..!!

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Mind you he did collapse in agony clutching his teeth after. That Ciellini should be done for having brick shoulders as well.

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

A lifetime ban from any football period.

But money talks, and where the premier league's concerned it positivly shouts.

5. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Proposed new kit for Uruguay's next game. :)

[​IMG]

Regards, Mike

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

^

^

^

:)

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Nooo, have his teeth extracted so he has to use dentures, which he's banned from wearing, during a match. Maybe then he'll learn that biting anyone, isn't acceptable.

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO! The Cone of Shame as my cats think of it

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

For gawd's sake. Its all over. WE LOST at the first hurdle (to deliberately mix sporting metaphors). Let Soccer RIP.

Lets prepare for Wimbledon. Us English aren't even in it; the Brit is a Scot.

The English may well have invented sport, but even that is debateable. Some would go back as far as the ancient Greeks. The simple fact is that we are now crap at sport and the fault is with the namby pamby uncompetitive useless egalitarian teachers in the state junior education sector who are even offended by a competitive father's egg and spoon race.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Don't really understand your comment. OK, England may be out but the World Cup is not over. Still another two weeks to go. For those who like to watch football, hopefully the best is yet to come.

Regarding Wimbledon, a home grown success would be nice, but if not I'm sure that won't stop most British tennis fans enjoying it.

In less than two weeks time the Tour de France begins in Yorkshire. Cycling is one sport which over the last 10-15 years Great Britain has dominated, firstly on the track, now on the road with Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome winning the TDF and Mark Cavendish becoming world champion.

As much as sport fans want their team or individual to win, the enjoyment of sport doesn't end because they don't. I should know. I support Stoke...!!!

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You missed what I expected to be the controversial bit of my post, That is the contribution of junior education to the lack of competition in sport or anything else that really matters. Children are indoctrinated with the idea that there are no winners or losers and that everyone is meant to be equal.

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Indeed I did. Sorry about that. On that point I agree with you. Sport has more benefits than helping to keep you fit. It gets you used to losing. Life is a competition. Winners and losers. Sooner to get used to losing, the better.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

As someone who was alway last to be picked for a team at school I had plenty of experiance of losing. Gave up team games as soon as I could.

Just glad our overpaid nerks got their just reward. Though TBH a draw was more than they deserved.

14. paul james

paul james Well-Known Member

apparently the plane landed at Manchester this morning to drop off the northern players before going onto London to drop off the southern players

landing was where they went wrong i' have give them a sporting chance at 15,000 feet

15. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

You do have the cricket to look forward to though :p ;)

16. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

My daughter will be starting primary school in September. She goes to a pre-school playgroup which has a competitive sports day every year. I have taken part in the dads' star jump race and my wife was in the egg and spoon race for mums and was then asked to race against a dad in a skipping race (which she won). Whilst non of these races were highly competetive they were still competetive. I think a lot of the stories about non-competition in schools have been blown out of proportion by sections of the media.

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

No footie tonight, I'm suffering from Cold Turkey...

Still its stopped raining, looks like being a nice evening with good light.
    Might actually go out and take some pictures..!!

18. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Well I hope the Brazil vs Chile game gave you the shot in the arm you needed - it was absolutely gripping.

Just hate it when it comes down to penalties - such a disappointing ending to such a very high quality match.

Regards, Mike

19. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Edge of the seat stuff.
    Only problem was trying to watch Glastonbury coverage a the same time on PC monitor.
    I haven't even got as far as Wimbledon yet! Well done the BeeB

20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Brilliant game. Shame it had to be decided on penalties but that's all part of the game. Would have been nice to see Chile win, but at least this will keep the home fans interested in the competition.