1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The World Cup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jun 13, 2014.

1. paul james

paul james Well-Known Member

look on the bright side !! at least Brazil made England look like a good team !!

2. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Ironic that many pundits would like England to play like Brazil, only to find that they now play like us....

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I have to say the "Hand of God" incident was not the first example of its kind. Playing in the London leagues in late 60s, we were more than familiar with the nefarious art, having seen it in the professional game here. Tried it myself once when jumping to a cross with a goalie, but he raised his knee and gave me such a dead leg I couldn't drive home for 2 hours after the match. Trainer emptied a whole can of spray on it, but was agonising. Don't think I tried it again.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well done Germany!

But in what parallel universe do the golden ball judges reside? Messi was only the second or third best player for Argentina, so how on earth could he be considered best in tournament?

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I loved the shot during presentation.. when the camera looked straight down at the bank press togs through the mist of gold confetti.

Graeme

7. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Award sponsored by Adidas, Messi is an Adidas sponsored player - I'm sure there is no connection ;)

Anyway, glad Germany won - currently flying the German flag on my monitor in the office!

8. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Thank God that's all over, and the best TEAM won. Germany played as a team throughout, with no over-hyped individuals. As for Mr Messi, one player does not make a team, great though he is.

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes that was a great shot. Some TV cameramen are very good stills people too. An award there for anyone who got it as a still I'm sure.

10. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

OK, that's it, all over and done with.

Back to normality now, "England for Euro 2016"

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2016 is only 2 years away. I'm not saying that Germany might win, but that England won't beat Germany to win. England will never ever win an international competition until English league teams recruit and train English players.

England does not nurture English talented young players.
    This is so obvious, even to people like me that only consider football a kid's game gone commercial.
    I really don't care, but I have to admit a certain feeling of humiliation when England fields a team in an international event.

12. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Thank your lucky stars that you're not Scottish. We have to play Germany in the 2016 qualifying THEN play England in a 'friendly' in November. Easy-Easy-Easy-Easy, etc., etc.

13. flipster

flipster Well-Known Member

do you have a sticker on the back of your monitor saying " you don't have to be mad to work here..."...etc...just teasing...good old germans...

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Well I think it's great - at the start of the tournament I flew three flags in the front garden - Swiss, English and German, in honour of my Swiss resident half German grandchildren, and took them down as the various teams lost - and I still have one flying

15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A further thought: Just over four years ago I was in Germany and asked an acquaintance how Germany expected to do, and got the answer that they had a young team and did not expect to do well in SA but just wait four years. That seems now like long term planning unlike the short-terminism that we are so prone to

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  16. Hi guys! I do not watch The World Cup but in my mum's side Philippines, Argentina is a brand for Corned Beef and Germany as we all know is known for their German franks. If it's Corned Beef Vs Sausages, I would go for Sausages all the way! :)