1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The World Cup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What a goal from James Rodriguez!

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Come on Colombia! I have them in the office sweepstake that's all

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Netherlands v Mexico

Another winning by cheating.

By studying Arjen Robben's actions in slow motion he was throwing his arms up and appealing for the penalty as soon as the tackle was made.

I do wish video playback should be used to spot diving. The only way this cheating will stop is for players to be sent off. Then fine the manager.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The ref was poor missing a penalty for each team. I'm 50/50 on the winning penalty but consider Mexico were naive and paid the price. He could have had a penalty earlier but skipped over the stuck out leg beauifully. Ifs and buts really.

Overall I thought the Dutch did enough to win, even though Mexico looked the better team.

5. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

I agree with you in general. In this instance there was contact though Robben did make a meal of it - and if you start to deny penalties where there is contact, you are going to create more problems than you solve.

There have been several times where penalties have not been given for offences that would have had a free kick if they were outside the penalty area so it would have to work both ways.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Yes but football is a game. A good game. A simple game.

If players played the game according to the rules, and not continually try to con the referee, there would be no problems. How I would love to see players of today tackled by defenders of old like Ron Harris, Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith, Dave Mackay, Billy Bremner etc. I certainly don't think they'd get the chance to con the referee twice..!!

7. mikeh201355

You can but dream...unfortunately they would get a second chance because those guys would have a straight red card after 2 minutes.

8. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

I think we all think that - very few people would openly disagree - but competition, far from bringing the best out in people, (as the political mantra goes), in my experience serves only to bring the worst out in people because there is an ulterior motive.

They are not playing to play good football, they are playing to win. That makes all the difference, in sport and every other facet of society.

I reject the idea that because our society happens to be competitive, competition is "a good thing". On the contrary, it is almost exclusively responsible for all the ills in the world. Football is but just one example of that.

Discuss. (But without being too competitive, please, :)).

Regards, Mike

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well Mike, it's a game of two halves as they say. In testimonials and the like you can see some fabulous skill and showboating, but typically poor defending (or perhaps fairer described as less commited?). In order to see the best skill on display, there needs to be something at stake. Yes, this can bring out the more negative aspects too, but it is the only way I think we can see the best of the best. The reason Robben and others with a similar penchant for sudden-gravity-reversal-syndrome are not considered all-time greats comes down to their strategic choices. Great skill, but not greatly honest. Klinsmann springs to mind as another example. Won it all, but no Marco van Basten, for example.

10. mikeh201355

The cultural differences regards 'conning the ref' are significant: in South America people are admired for their ability to hoodwink the ref, and this is also prevalent in Spain and Portugal. They even go so far as to look on some rules as 'not being serious', especially some forms of foul play to wind up the opposition.
    But in the Anglo Saxon world we have a more literal interpretation of rules and what constitutes 'fair play'

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the colonial spirit...

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I blame him and his cronies. They started it. Who can forget this. Not as subtle as today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7Y33VteME

Are we sure about that. Refer to above.

There's some cracking ones here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-H2wXK4T4

(sometimes takes a few seconds to play)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mike,Not much to discuss. Seems accurate. It's bread and circuses for consumers, not sport at all.Cheers,R.

14. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Personally, I always felt the first person I ever saw diving consistently was Francis Lee at Man City.

But then again there's always been a tendency amongst some of the less intelligent sport followers to trot out the old "blame Jonny Foreigner" sh*te given half a chance.

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Personally I would like to have seen 'less knowledgeable" but never mind.

Now you mention him I do remember Francis Lee. Especially the fisty cuffs with Norman Hunter, who didn't much care for Lee's antics, both on the field and in the tunnel after the ref sent them both off. However that was in the 'old' First Division which at that time wasn't seen worldwide. Jurgen and his mates brought diving to the masses in the 1990 World Cup watched by millions the world over.

On a lighter note... Belgium v USA.

That was one of the best games I've seen for a very long time. Wonderful stuff.

...and not one case of diving or ref conning.

16. BikerMike

Half time, Germany - 5, Brazil - 0 !!!

Brilliant team play by Germany - fluid, rapid, one-touch passing, total mid-field dominance.

Brazil shell-shocked, panicking, floundering. No shape whatsoever, no effective marking or closing down, Chaotic disarray. Supporters booing and in tears. Worst ever half-time result for Brazil.

Great match to watch, fast and fluid. Best one since the group stage finished.

Regards, Mike

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Neuer really annoyed to let one in at the end. Says it all really despite 1-7 scoreline. :cool:

18. BikerMike

2nd half not quite so thrilling, but two more from Germany made me smile.

Pity they couldn't keep a clean sheet - a bit of carelessness towards the end.

Lineker described it as the most pointless goal of the tournament.

Regards, Mike

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Now why can't England play like Germany? No "superstars", no fancy football. Just playing the game how it's meant to be played. Wonderful stuff.

Looking forward to watching the final in a bar in Austria hopefully full of German fans.

20. mikeh201355

Yep.

When people want England to be successful they always talk in terms of flair play like Brazil, Argentina or the Dutch team of the 1970s. The English game is far more like the German approach and the key difference is not so much the skill (English players aren't that far behind) but in mental attitude - in tight situations the English players panic and start hoofing the ball.

Good luck in Austria :D