1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The World Cup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jun 13, 2014.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

By the law of averages, there's bound to be a few members on this forum who have an interest in football. Thought I'd start a thread on The World Cup. I realise it will get hijacked by the football naysayers, but I'll risk it.

To start, following on from my view in a previous thread:

Looks like that is what's happening already. Dives that Tom Daley would be proud of.

2. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Surely, if such a thing as true "sportsmen" existed, they wouldn't need a referee anyway, would they? :)

Regards, Mike

3. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

A wonderful performance from the Dutch team this evening, no need to cheat or anything!

4. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Brilliant game tonight, but didn't anticipate the Dutch getting that result - so much me for me drawing Spain in the office sweepstake!

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's been brilliant. :cool: Was worried when they got the penalty but there's a couple of possible goals of the tournament knocked in today.

Shame the refereeing continues to be poor - Costa should have been sent off, two decent goals ruled out for Mexico, and the decisions in the opening game were shocking (both the 'penalty' and the disallowed Croatian goal). I like the new spray though for marking the wall's distance.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Watched Spain v Netherlands until 8.30 then turned over to ITV so wifey could watch Corrie. What a mistaka-to-maka..!!

7. BikerMike

Agree on all points, but as the ref didn't see Costa's head-butt, he couldn't send him off - unfortunately.

That's an example of when action replay should be used to enable better decisions - we were all able to see it, 3 or 4 times, from different angles, but the ref. can't possibly watch all 22 players at once.

Regards, Mike

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

That was Costa's comedy head but! A slap with a wet lettuce leaf......then the pause....then the head hold....not enough better go down....still not enough, maybe I should writhe about.....

Graeme

9. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

watched the game in a bar with a load of spanish friends and even with my limited understanding of the lingo they were not happy - they need to do better to match last years performance, but on a plus note, least they won't be able to take the micky out me when England play ;o(

10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Could be interesting watching the England match tonight from a bar in Palermo

11. BikerMike

Yes, it was an over-dramatic reaction, so typical of modern footballers, done only to get the ref's attention, but the fact remains Costa head-butted another player - it matters little how hard it was - it was intentional.

You need to ask why it was done at all. Nobody should be head-butting anyone on the pitch - this is football, not boxing.

Regards, Mike

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Reminds me of watching England play Austria in a European Championship match some years ago in a bar in Innsbruck Austria. Really was an excellent evening. The 2-2 draw satisfied everyone.

As for tonight's game against Italy, I think a draw or an England win. I don't think Roy's Boy's will loose.

13. southonline

nah I'll wait for the final England - Spain, that would be fun.... better wake up now

14. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I hope not. But mostly because I've drawn England in the office sweepstakes!

15. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Not a mistake, more like good diplomacy ;)

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

So looking like United got van Gaal cheap then? Last night has got to be worth another nought on the contract.

17. southonline

going need a snooze this afternoon to watch tonight's England attempt - what a daft time ;o(

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thought I wouldn't push my luck watching too many games early on. Afterall England will need to play seven games to WIN the World Cup..!!

Exactly. We invented the game so no matter where it's played it should be in English time..!!

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Better than the 2am kick off for Ivory Coast v Japan. Hopefully there will be enough action in England v Italy to keep me awake for the 'samurai blue.'

20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

At least I will be able to catch up on a few other things, and the telly can have a bit of a holiday.