1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The stuff you own that is now redundant thread.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, May 15, 2018.

1. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I recently got myself some Bose wireless over ear headphones, and I didn’t realise just how awesome they were until I briefly returned to the ear bud (in ear type) which had no bass what. so. ever. And even on full whack, I could hear traffic with a load of sound leakage...

So, what do you own that is now redundant or just rubbish?

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Most of my photography is rubbish, and I was made redundant a year ago.....
    Not much hope is there?

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Found these a few days ago tucked away in a box under my desk, judging by the dates they've been there for more than ten years, clean forgot about them!

DSC9469 Found Film.JPG

4. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Are they too far gone for use?

5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Should be ok, black and white film is more stable than colour, probably just need to increase the development time. Used to use Paterson Aculux, no idea what's available now, and on top of that my film scanner packed in back then which prompted me to buy my first digital camera.

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'll take them off your hands if you don't want to shoot them, Alan!

Almost everything I have is redundant - even my digital cameras are the best part of a decade old now.

Luckily I survived redundancy and have been able to put most of my payout into the house (sixteen years wirth, "enhanced" to persuade me to piss off... willingly, in the end!). I am, however, saving a few squids for a necessary item of sanitary ceramicware so that I can think of my former employer every time I have a download.

Adrian

peterba, Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

We used to buy these in bulk but the demand suddenly stopped
    discs.JPG

Scphoto and Zou like this.
  8. Rolex1601

Rolex1601 Active Member

I wonder if anyone has saved a digital image onto a 3.5" diskette?

9. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Sony made a camera I think it was called a Mavica and it used 3.5" floppies for memory.
    We had one at work and it was a big bulky camera.

Bipolar

Rolex1601 likes this.
  10. Rolex1601

Rolex1601 Active Member

My age has caught to me...Sony Mavica FD71 was a massive point-n-shoot.

Thank you Bipolar.

11. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Watson film loader, Nikon Coolwalker.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I still keep a slide rule on my desk

13. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Very <ahem> delicately put, Adrian. ;)

14. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I keep two, one long one short.

15. miked

miked Well-Known Member

To my great shame (and great age) I can no longer lay claim to being a sex god. . .:eek:

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Got rid of it all when I moved, but sneakily kept a favourite Deco cake stand.

17. RogerMac

Ditto and use them occasionally

18. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm going to nominate my ex-army Subtense Bar. It's a piece of heavy land surveying equipment made by Hilger & Watts, and combined with an accurate theodolite, allows the accurate measuring of distance from the surveyor to a moderately remote target, say, on the other side of a river or rough terrain, where a tape measure would not be accurate. It's redundant because laser distance meters can do a similar job, and they are now small enough to fit in a pocket. I bought my subtense bar in good condition in 1997, and after assembling it and trying it out in my garden, it's been in its coffin like case ever since.

In use it has two arms which fold out and support targets at precisely 2m apart, set by an internal Invar rod. The bar is set at right-angles to the theodolite's line of sight, and the angle between the targets is measured accurately by the theodolite, and simple trigonometry determines the distance from the theodolite to the subtense bar. I've had photographs of mine on my website for several years, and some of these are now featured in university texts about (historical) surveying. It is of little use in distance surveying (as needed by the OS) because the ranging accuracy falls quickly as the distance increases .

More info and some photos in the link below.
    http://www.users.waitrose.com/~emes1938/subtense.htm

19. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I've still quite a few VHS videos stashed away in the attic, next to my darkroom (also unused these days), and I expect CD's and DVD's to go the same way eventually thanks to streaming services, although I still like to have a physical copy!

20. RogerMac

Still have their uses I keep some old tapes and a VHS machine stacked away in the cottage, and recently there were some children staying who discovered one Harry Potter tape and worked out how to set it all up, totally without adult help, It kept them quiet all evening whilst the adults got on with serious business of the evening.