1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

I agree. Film black and film has a look that digital can't match.

I agree with your choice of a film camera for the rowing. I'd just enjoy the experience and grab a few shots if I felt like it.

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Canonet QL17 gIII

I bought mine in 1973 - it replaced the Silette as my main camera
    [​IMG]

I took it to the races last Saturday and here are some samples
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just to be on the safe side I also doubled up by using two cameras, the other one being a Pen.

To be honest I was disappointed with the G3 results, not that the camera misbehaved but the colour negative film I was using (Fujifilm Superia) had great difficulty in coping with the brightness range of the scene. Typically I was clipping both the highlights and the shadows, whereas the Pen coped well showing both the detail in the spectators hair and the surface of the water.

Ah well

Roger

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

long overdue...

[​IMG]
    AP Relic Challenge - Blossom by Zou san, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    AP Relic Challenge - Wardrop's Court by Zou san, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    AP Relic Challenge - St. Giles by Zou san, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    AP Relic Challenge - Adam Smith and St. Giles by Zou san, on Flickr

That is all of my Brownie shots. I still need to get the E36 developed from my Rollei B35. I have some much older (maybe 3 years ago?) pictures from the Brownie still to scan which although technically not 'Relic Challenge' will doubtless fit the mood of the thread here. Maybe by November... ;)

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just a quick update. I have posted off my slide film to Boots so hopefully will have some pictures to share in the next couple of weeks.

5. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing them Zou.

Actually I shot a couple of rolls of slide film on a recent trip to Shikoku (Velvia 100). I should get them back tomorrow.

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

7. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Nice stuff gray.

Here are some shots from Shikoku, Japan. I used Velvia 100 in my Nikon FE. I'm disappointed with the colours. They look much better on a light table. I really struggle with scanning slide film. I find scanning black and white easy and colour negative isn't too difficult either. BTW I use a Epson V700.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

A few more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last scan is the most disappointing for me. The greens look so weak but on the light table those greens look so rich and vibrant!

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I understand your disappointment with the scanning - it can be very hard to match the depth and colour of a slide. I tend to get better results with Vuescan than I did with the Epson software. In Vuescan I use 'image' rather than 'slide film' as the base setting as I find it results in a better colour. Still fiddly though. Recently I have resorted to the 'auto-fix' button in photoshop for colour which can be surprisingly effective.

Whereabouts in Shikoku were these taken - somewhere in the south? When we lived in Osaka we went down to Okayama and the Seto nai-kai but never onto Shikoku itself. I want to go there at some point but the problem is there are still so many other places I want to go to too.

10. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Thanks for tips on scanning slide film Zou.

I went all round Shikoku this summer and visited all four prefectures. The castles are Matsuyama-jo, Marugame-jo and Uwajima-jo. The stone garden with the tree is in Tokushima. The big rock is in the stream is Ritsurin koen in Takamatsu. The river photo is the Iya Valley. Shikoku is nice especially northern Kochi and western Tokushima where the scenery is stunning. But getting around without a car is difficult. Hope you get there one day!

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Eventually - some pics from the Rocca (4 images)

Whoops - forgot to upload these... all very boring, I'm afraid. Rocca Montanus 35, Kodak Ektar 100, processed by Boots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Must get round to scanning the Canon EF pics, and finding the pics of the cameras on location!

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Re: The Relic Challenge (4 images)

OK so I've been very remiss in not putting any photos up...
    Here are some taken on my first Chinon 35EE hereafter called Black because it's black. If you remember it's taken more hammer than your average six inch nail....
    These are from my recent holiday in Devon, using Agfa Vista Plus 200
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All taken on a bright sunny Saturday:)

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

and these were taken on Silver who is Blacks brother...a Silver Chinon 35EE...
    The first was taken at Filey and the others in Devon on the same sunny Saturday using Kodak 400CN.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Now for something a bit different...a digital relic...Pentax Optio 30...3.2mp
    again taken in Devon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice pocketable camera which produces nice images...who needs 42mp...:cool:

16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Lovely pictures spinno, and excellent to see our first digital relic on the thread. According to the interweb, the Optio 30 is from 2004 which makes it eight. Perhaps not old in terms of photography itself, but as far as digital goes its ancient and the images do seem to have an older aesthetic to them :)

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

There is something about the pictures I like but can't quite put my finger on it.
    It's a relic to me as I bought it from the local "trash and treasure" for £3...which is cheaper than a lot of film cameras I've been known to buy:eek:
    Did buy a Canon Sureshot Z135 for £3.50 on holiday....spent another £1.99 on two CR123 batteries as the hardware shop in Bideford was closing down....:D

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Did I mention the Optio has a viewfinder....:cool: I am still convinced that the old fashioned way of having the camera next to your eye is the best way...however that's only me...and I did try a WLF on a Bronica and that worked as well, but holding the camera at arms length...well it just don't seem right...:rolleyes:

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    AP Relic Challenge - Mcflurry by Zou san, on Flickr

Another one from the wee Rollei. I've scanned the whole film but am going through them one by one for PP and upload. I'm pleasantly surprised by the film - Boots own brand ISO200 slide film.

20. FuzzyLens

FuzzyLens Well-Known Member

After seeing this thread and deciding to dust off my old Cosmic 35 I appear to have opened a new interest.

I have bought a few other old film cameras...

Below are a couple of shots taken with a Nikon F301 on Ilford Delta 400 (not really a relic I guess, but older than my digital SLR I've had for 12 months).

Yes Tor, Dartmoor

[​IMG]

Widgery Cross on Brat Tor, Dartmoor

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012