1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. FuzzyLens

FuzzyLens Well-Known Member

Hi,

There are some fantastic photographs on this thread. Not to the standard of some (only really just starting out with photography), but I was inspired enough to dust of a camera that I was given in 1985 aged 8 by a friend of the family. I have never used it, but have always kept it (mainly in the garage).

The camera is a Cosmic 35 and I loaded it with a roll of Fuji X-TRA 400, processed in our local high street shop and scanned from the print (limited in what I have). Tweaked in Photoshop for contrast, but that's it.

The images remind me of photographs from my childhood, although subject and creativity not great.

A good bit of fun, so thank you for the inspiration - have also bought a vintage light meter to have another go in the near future!

Thanks for looking.

Plymouth Hoe

[​IMG]

Smeaton's Tower with some interesting light-leak / reflection.

[​IMG]

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff, Fuzzy :D The Cosmic 35, if the same camera as the one i've found on the interweb, was imported into the country between 1969 and 1971 http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Smena_8 making it at least 41 years old :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  3. FuzzyLens

FuzzyLens Well-Known Member

Thank you Atavar. It is the same one as your link and for it to have been given to an 8 year old at the I time I assume it was already quite old.

The link below describes 3 releases. The one I have is the first (GOMZ Lomography), No. 255233.

A bit of an issue trying to rewind the film as the knob fell off! I managed to rewind it manually by taking the back off, but lost more than half the film to inadvertant exposure. I took the camera apart and have not hopefully resolved the rewind issue - need to get another roll of film for it - thinking an ISO200 this time though as 400 is far too high given the maximum shutter speed of 1/250.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

This bought a smile to my face, I think this is exactly what the Relic Challenge is all about, getting pictures and overcoming any adversity you may face. I look forward to the results of the next roll :)

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Exactly - nice work with the Cosmic 35, fuzzylens! If you haven't already got the next roll in, have a feel round the film gate, because there's something scratching the film and if you can find that and just polish it off... You definitely need to go back to Plymouth Hoe, because the first one of the lighthouse is lovely.

Adrian
    (who's just spent some time trying to open a Soho Cadet with a spatula...)

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The winding knob fell off my new-ish Holga a while back. Superglued it back on. :cool: That's what I love about basic cameras.

Must remember to post the rest of my second film in the Brownie later.

7. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

It's nice to see more people getting involved in this thread. Looking for ward to the rest of the roll Zou.

I finished my roll of Fuji Venus 800 using my new favourite camera Maxxum 7000. It seems very grainy but it is old film (exp. 2003). Here are the best of the worst!

Summer Festival

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been knocking back a few of these in the hot weather (It was 35 degrees today!)
    [​IMG]

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Silette

[​IMG]

Rather than just publishing any old images I decided to try to illustrate a paragraph from Jane Austen's Persuasion

"After securing accommodations, and ordering a dinner at one of the inns,
    the next thing to be done was unquestionably to walk directly
    down to the sea. They were come too late in the year for any amusement
    or variety which Lyme, as a public place, might offer. The rooms
    were shut up, the lodgers almost all gone, scarcely any family
    but of the residents left; and, as there is nothing to admire
    in the buildings themselves, the remarkable situation of the town,
    the principal street almost hurrying into the water, the walk to the Cobb,
    skirting round the pleasant little bay, which, in the season,
    is animated with bathing machines and company; the Cobb itself,
    its old wonders and new improvements, with the very beautiful
    line of cliffs stretching out to the east of the town, are what
    the stranger's eye will seek; and a very strange stranger it must be,
    who does not see charms in the immediate environs of Lyme,
    to make him wish to know it better. "

I know that its the wrong season but these are the scenes that Jane would have seen, just changed slightly by the passage of time.

The main street hurrying down into the sea
    [​IMG]

The Eastern Cliffs:
    [​IMG]

The Cobb
    [​IMG]

The famous Cobb steps
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  9. RogerMac

Silette (continued)

And finally an image of the Jane Austen memorial garden
    [​IMG]

I did enjoy remembering old skills (such as guessing the exposure) Also noted that the 35mm lens on the OM that I used last week is a much better focal length than the 45mm on this Silette

Roger

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  10. RogerMac

Silette

Forgot to add that I bought the Silette in 1956 - it was my first real camera, although I had had a hand me down Box Brownie when I was a lad

Roger

11. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Great stuff Yebisu.

And Roger, thats a fantastically thought out series of images and supporting text :) Fantastic that its with a camera you've had from new.

12. gray1720

Agreed - I do like the photo series idea! I notice Roger has a similar problem to me... except that I list to the other side when I take photos. The Apotar definitely gives better colour reproduction than the Agnar on the Silette I used to have.

Adrian

13. RogerMac

I would like to say that it's due to using a camera with a difference balance from usual, or that the Silette does not have a very good viewfinder - but it still happens whatever camera I use. The only way to cure it is have a camera with levels in the viewfinder, and my E5 does - but even then it happens for those important grab shots. In this case I did wonder about straightening the images and updating them but that seems to be cheating.

Roger

14. RogerMac

I thought that I would pass along one trick that I employ whenever I use one one of these old cameras - that is to load the film and then tape over the joints in the camera with black plastic tape, this is because I am never sure how well the light seals are working - if at all - and it prevents any problems with washed out highlights etc.

Roger

15. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I'll try this the next time i take the Butcher Carbine 6 out :)

16. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

It's me again!

Nice shots Roger. The colours in the Jane Austen garden shot are lovely.

I've been using my Nikon FE with Ais24/2.8 and Ai 28/3.5 lenses for the last couple of weeks Fuji Acros 100. I hadn't used Acros before but I think I like it. I scanned half the roll low res. The other half of the roll is under a pile of books getting flattened before scanning. I did a lot of long exposures because I read that with Acros there is no reciprocity for up to two minute exposures! Here are a couple of examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  17. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Some more shots from my roll of Fuji Acros

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

18. RogerMac

Yebisu,

I think they are lovely - difficult to match with any camera, modern or old.

As for myself I was going to the rowing tomorrow with an E5 plus 70-300 but all the fuss at the top of the forum has decided me to be a relic myself and to just take a film camera (which one I am still deciding) and I will content myself with "I was there" shots, that will probably be more fun than attempting to get the best action shot. If any are half decent I will publish them here next week. Any thoughts as to whether I should take the OM (again) or one of the Canonets would be welcome but personally I am leaning toward a Canonet as it much quieter and I have not used it recently.

Roger

19. gray1720

When faced with a choice of two eveils, go for the one you've not tried so recently!

Yebisu - you really ought to try for a Reader spotlight with those. They're stunning.

Adrian
    (who must must must finish some bloomin' films!)

20. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Thanks Adrian. I just submitted some of the photos from the FE and the Pentax 67. I think I'm too late though!