1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I don't think I showed the results of a trip to Barnard's Farm Gardens. near West Horndon , Essex ( England) on this site but here is one which I am entering for 'The Colour BLUE' Projected Image Comp at Brentwood & District Photographic Club in 2 week's time. I made it much 'darker' than natural using 'Levels' in FastStone Image Viewer on the trannie scan , saved as a 'TIFF'
    I used my repaired 1956 ROLLEIFLEX 2.8E Xenotar + 2003 dated Fuji Velvia 50 rated 32 ASA. There are lots of Statues and sculptures in those gardens. I took B&W on 1959 3.5 F Planar
    BLUE STEEL by peter elgar.jpg

El_Sid and EightBitTony like this.
  2. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I had a Kodak 'Black and White + 400' Chromogenic C41 film loaded in my 1954 Zeiss CONTINA Type 1216/24 for some months -- now I have a new supply of C41 Developer from the mini-lab close-down I CUT if and processed a short length. It was successful -- as it was outdated 12/2003 i rated it at 125 ASA but could have used 200ASA ( kept in Fridge for years ! ) I scanned as 'Colour' and de-saturated in FastStone Image Viewer to Monochrome.
    [​IMG]Zeiss Contina 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Zeiss Contina 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Given some outdated C41 fillum of unknown storage at Club last week I gave my 1934 LEICA II + 1936 50mm f2 Summar lens an outing. Rated film at 125 ASA , it was 'Lloyds Pharmacy 200' dated 02/2004,actually Ferrania made in Italy. I processed in my mini-lab Fuji Hunt 'Econoneg C41' developer and got good negs. Scanned with Canon 9000F Mk II I started to get a 'Magenta' strip on some and I got 'scan lines' appearing again as I did with my Epson scanners -- what IS IT ?
    [​IMG]Testing 'Lloyds Film 200 ' with my 1934 LEICA II + 1936 lens by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Testing 'Lloyds Film 200 ' with my 1934 LEICA II + 1936 lens by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

4. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Given a 10/2005 dated 'ACTIVA 400 ( Konica)' film at Club last week I used it in my 1934 LEICA II again with the 1936 500mm f2 Summar lens. Downrated it a bit to 240 ASA the negs were 'Soft' in Contrast and saturation probably due to the old lens but scanned well ---
    [​IMG]'ACTIVA 400' in LEICA II by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]'ACTIVA 400' in LEICA II ( continued) by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

A 500mm f2 Summar lens? If one existed, I'd hate to have to carry it.

Seriously, about 40 years ago I borrowed a 1930s Leica with a 50mm (probably F 3.5) that a friend of mine had inherited. She had no idea if it worked, until I gave her some 10 x 8 inch monochrome prints after working out how to load it with some Iford FP4. I don't know what she did with the camera, but warned her it might be worth a bit.

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Ha Ha ! Thanks for Viewing and the 'Correction' !

7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

First COLOUR Tests with my 1935-36 Kodak RETINA 118 with 50mm f3.5 Schneider Xenar un-coated lens. I used a 2004 dated 'Polaroid 200 ( made by AGFA) given to me by a Camera Club member and processed in C41 .
    [​IMG]First COLOUR tests with Kodak RETINA 118 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

For an uncoated lens, that looks pretty good, Pete!

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The magenta stripes look like what you get when the scanner glass isn't perfectly clean. I had the same issue a long time back when I was doing more scanning. Look for dust/grime/whatever right at the top of the glass, where the scanning starts from. Give it a good clean and you should be right as rain again.

steveandthedogs likes this.