1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

At last had my 1956-59 era ROLLEIFLEX E2 Xenotar repaired - needed a 'Pin' in baseplate Latch, shutter done, winder and focus knob done -- now all works even the Delayed Action. So a previous owner Press Photographer of the 'Romford Recorder' had scratched the taking lens but results even at full aperture are now great and shutter is accurate. I loaded a 06/19977 dated Kodak T-Max 100 rated 80 ASA and processed in my Home-made FX-4 Formula 1+1 which is supposed to be good with 'Kodak' emulsions.
    Full Aperture 1/500th @ f2.8
    [​IMG]E2 Test 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    1/500th @ f5.6
    [​IMG]E2 Test 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    1/250th @ f5.6
    [​IMG]E2 Test 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

FED 2 and Industar 61 L/D. Fomapn 100:

chums.jpg

dragons.jpg

Susie.jpg

Well, you have to have one of the animals, haven't you?

S

3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

i labelled my Rollei Test as 'E2 Xenotar' but I found out mine is the earlier 'E' model as it does not have the removable focus hood which the 'E2' has.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I owned an E2 2.8 for a few years. Very nice piece of kit but I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. I sold it via ebay at a seriously good profit! :D Some samples...

Writinganorder.jpg

WomendancinginChippenham3.jpg

RollieflexE2_08170107.jpg

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The first shot shows a degree of vignetting and corner softening that I can not remember ever getting on a 2.8 Rollie. Were you using a non standard filter or lenshood? Or is it to do with the scanning?

6. Andrew Flannigan

The Bayonet 3 rubber hood sometimes vignetted. Perhaps Pete has one of those?

7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I had on a series III hood with an 'Insert' for the 35mm Rollei attachment - I have now changed it for the Series III hood off my 1960 2.8F Planar one and no longer get that 'darkening
    TV Personality GOK WAN in Brentwood High Street being filmed -- full aperture f2.8 and 1970 dated Ilford Pan F film processed in FX-4 1+1 for 7 mins ( 6 mins would be better)
    [​IMG]1956 Rollei E 2.8 Xenotar Test by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Small Dog at f8 on Xenotar - viewfinder is 'dark' and difficult to focus compared with Later Rollei models
    [​IMG]1956 Rollei E 2.8 Xenotar Test by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  8. dylbert

dylbert Well-Known Member

9. Terrywoodenpic

the apertures are more likely to be accurate that the shutter speeds.
    So do a series of shots changeling the aperture and shutter speeds by one stop each in opposite directions. if the speeds are accurate all the negative should be the same density.
    It is unlikely that even a new shutter would be accurate at the higher speeds. In general an Episilon shutter is likely to less accurate than the Prontor svs fitted to later examples.
    At least it does not suffer from the diabolical and quirky loading system of the Microflex.

dylbert likes this.
  10. dylbert

I believe mine is a Mark II so has the Prontor SVS shutter, from what I've read the Prontor shutter had D X M settings which mine has.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Rollei shots can have a unique quality as demonstrated in those shots.
    I remember many argument about the relative qualities of the Planar and Xenotar lens and there is no doubt that the planar was more "Popular" But I never saw any proof that either was better than the other, though cameras with the Xenotar usually changed hands for somewhat less cost.
    However the Tessar usually had a considerable advantage over the Xenar near wide open. But neither was as good as the Rokkor on the Minolta Autocord.

12. dylbert

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Whale oil beef hooked. Mum has a cousin in Donabate - the only Irish beach I've been on, in fact. If you ever see an Austin 7 there, it'll be her son-in-law driving.

Anyway, it doesn't look as though there's too much wrong with the Microcord.

Adrian

14. dylbert

Can’t say I’ve noticed an Austin about but il keep an eye out.

I’m enjoying the camera, even if the viewfinder is a bit dim, it’s the first TLR I’ve used.

gray1720 likes this.
  15. dylbert

I was out at another local beach with the Microcord again this week. The winder seems a bit pedantic, it works fine when not loaded but with film sometimes it stops winding short of a full frame, and other times it winds too far, not a major problem if I keep an eye on the frame counter and be sure to stop at the next number.

This is Tmax 100 in Rodinal.

[​IMG]
    Loughshinny Beach
    by dylan traynor, on Flickr

16. Andrew Flannigan

The wind mechanism has long been the Microcord's bête noire. I had two different cameras fail that way and have avoided them ever since. It's a great pity because in every other way I found it to be a very usable piece of kit. :(

17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

ARP.jpg

HP5 cocked up by forgetting to reset the meter from iso 125, so knocked a minute off the developer.
    Werramatic and 35mm lens

S

peterba likes this.
  18. gray1720

That looks really good, Steve!

Funnily enough I have a roll I put through the Werra I got off Roger Hicks waiting to get developed.

Adrian

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I must dig out my 1966 Werramatic !

20. gray1720

There's quite a few Werra owners in these parts - lovely cameras when they are working, but a PITA to fix.

Adrian