1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Here's an old picture from my Leica. We were on a business trip to Kitzbuhel in Austria and went for a walk in the evening. We turned a corner and there was a red car next to a red British phone booth! Lucky I had my M3 with the Summicron round my neck :)

[​IMG]

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Out to use up a cut Ilford Delta 400 Pro in my 1962 Rolleicord Vb with 75mm f3.5 Xenar . I processed in my Home-made Microphen 1+1
    Misty Morn, 1/250 @ f11

[​IMG]cord Vb BWD 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

In local Churchyard -- SUN hits this only at this time of year
    [​IMG]cord Vb BWD 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Horse Trough, gift of the Larkin Family, Brentwood benefactors -- most people pass this by without noticing it ! 1/125 @ f5.6
    [​IMG]cord Vb BWD 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Gateway between Brentwood KFC and Halifax Bank -- again, this effect is only at this time of year and people never notice it
    [​IMG]cord Vb BWD 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Brentwood had MIST so all 'keen snappers' were OUT including ME ! This time I gave my lovely 'Gift' 1975 Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F an outing loaded with 02/2005 dated Kodak Tri=X which I tried processed in the liquid Promicrol 1+14 for 13 mins @ 20oC and got some very 'Foggy' negs with HUGE GRAIN ( but I call it 'Artistic' )
    50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar -- YES -- the Infamous RADIO-ACTIVE one ! ( no wonder I was Glowing in the Dark when I got home ! )
    [​IMG]Spotmatic F 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

London Road Cemetery where a couple of mates from Brentwood Photo-Club are residents -- 150mm f4 SMC Takumar ( I'm not ready to join them yet ! )
    [​IMG]Spotmatic F 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

'Minimalism in the Mist' on local pond -- 135mm f3.5 SMC Takumar

[​IMG]Spotmatic F 09 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

5. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Big Apple (Store)
    by Stephen Cooper, on Flickr

Canon AV-1, 50mm f1.8, Fuji Neopan 400 (out of date - expired 2014) - Lab developed. Just picked up the camera from a friend at my local camera club. It's an odd one, a manual Canon camera but it's aperture priority only. I guess it suits me as I tend to use AP mode on all my cameras. I'm happy with the results - images seemed a bit light on contrast, but that might be the storage of the old film (someone gave me a couple of rolls). Scanned and tweaked a bit on Lightroom/Photoshop/Nik Effects

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. Scphoto

7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have been scanning some of my VERY FIRST prints from an album -- I will show few taken on my Mum's kodak Hawkeye Brownie Box Camera and processed by me.
    First 'Contact Print' done at East Ham Grammar School photo-soc in 1952 --it was from a borrowed neg -- I am front with Oar and white shirt
    [​IMG]My first 'Contact Print by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

My First Enlargement from my Mum's Kodak Box Camera -- click on photo to read the 'story' in Flickr --

[​IMG]My First ENLARGEMENT ! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Box Camera print at Northolt Airport -- I 'colored in' the sky -- Vickers 'Valiant'

[​IMG]Box camera print-- by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Enlargement done at School on a Gnome Alpha with only 2 stops -- f8 and f16 !

[​IMG]Vickers 'Viking' -the 'Enlargement' by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

First Ensign Selfix films -- used in a School Photo-Soc Comp and for my 'Photographer's Badge' at Scouts !

[​IMG]First Photo -Comp entry ! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Early Night Photography -- print used at South Essex Camera Club -- Selfix 16/20 Model II , Ilford FP3 film, Kodak Bromide Glossy
    [​IMG]Early Night Photography 2 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Good stuff as usual Pete :)

9. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I found some very old ( about 1953) 'Dufaycolor' mounted in glass mounts -- it was the first 'Colour' film I had ever used -- it was an 'Additive System' where a B&W Silver image was formed behind a printed 'Reseau' of Red, Green and Blue lines on the film base- like a TV system R,G and B ----- I cut them down from my Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model II to fit standard 2x2 mounts.
    I scanned with my Epson 1650 flatbed scanner+ Vuescan Pro + PhotoShop 7 to adjust colours a bit.
    Dover Harbour -- you can see the Castle and White Cliffs -- compare how it is TODAY with all the Cross-Channel Ferries, cars and lorries !
    [​IMG]Dover Harbour about 1953 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Dover Harbour again --
    [​IMG]Dover Harbour about 1953 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Folkestone Harbour all the Fishing has stopped now !
    [​IMG]Folkestone Harbour about 1953 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    The Warren, Folkestone -- it was still 'Mined' from the WAR when I took this !
    [​IMG]The Warren, Folkestone, about 1953 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

SXH likes this.
  10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I hope there is something in your (and all posters of 'a certain age') will that ensures that all your old pictures (that the family don't want, of course) goes to some (local?) museum or other. This sort of history should not be lost!

11. steveandthedogs

12. Scphoto

13. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I though
    t I had shown photos on here taken with my 'original PENTAX S3' I boug
    ht new in 1961 for £ 87 and gave my Zeiss CONTAX in part exchange ( i was allowed £35 quid )but I haven't seen them --- well, some weeks ago I had a phone call from the bloke to whom I SOLD the S3 for £25 quid over 40 years ago and he said it was 'not working' and 'would I like it back ? '-- so he came round and there was my lovely 1961 Asahi Pentax S3 all covered in dust and the lens was filthy . So before I tried it out I took off the base-plate and gently LUBRICATED all teh cogs and levers with sewing machine oil -- I put ONE DROP into a developing dish and picked up a minute amount on a pin and a small brush. Then I tried the wind -on and it 'creaked ' into life !! The slow speeds were not working -- I put it on 'Time' and 'Brief' and tried it and it must have freed up some cogs because after that all the slow speeds worked accurately! I cleaned the lens with lens fluid and tissues and the body with a cotton bud . I took some B&W photos on 2007 outdated Fuji ACROS 100 and they were sharp!! I also did a VIDEO about it which you can see here :

[​IMG]Testing my 1961 Asahi Pentax S3 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete, I really do enjoy your videos. I love the way that your enthusiasm for the subject comes through!

Cheers, Jeff

15. Shinnen

Shinnen Active Member

Hi,
    May I ask why you chose the days between April 28th and May 13th for this challenge?
    Thanks,
    .... john

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Blowed if I can remember now, this has been running since 2012 (and I must get some more stuff scanned...).

Adrian

17. Scphoto

[​IMG]
    Bench
    by Stephen Cooper, on Flickr

Canon AV1 - 50mm FD f/1.8 - Kodak Portra 800. Lab developed, scanned at home.

Shinnen likes this.
  18. Scphoto

19. steveandthedogs

Fishboy likes this.
  20. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Only taken nine months to get round to developing and scanning these... and the hard water marks! Argh! Must nick some dH2O from work next time...

Adrian

Attached Files: