1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me.
    Sunday is looking like a good day to take the 1937 Rollei Automat for walkies, in keeping with the spirit it will be a 'sunny f/16' no light meter day.

2. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Great. I've just got my first roll of rollfilm back from the lab the other day. Shot on the Pentax 67 lent to me by my boss.

I'll upload the results later.

3. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

My contribution to the Relic Challenge. Pentax 67 MLU, SMC Takumar 135/4 macro, Kodak Tmax 400, scanned on a V700

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

4. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

3 more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Nice work on the Pentax 67 Yebisu, especially the first shot and the one with the train passing the rice field.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I like all of those (OK, perhaps the desk isn't to my taste), but the first train one is just stunning! The second train one is great, but the first... ooooooh!

You ought to consider submitting some of those for Reader Spotlight - if they'll still let us have the space!

How are your arms humping that gurt big Pentax round?:p

Adrian

7. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Thanks Keith and Adrian. My boss lent me this camera until March next year so I'm going to shoot it as much as possible until then.

:) A bit sore actually. I don't know how anyone shoots it handheld... or carries it around their neck!!

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Sorry to see that the relic challenge is petering out , but I am going to Cambridge tomorrow and have just found an out of date roll of film in a cupboard as I thought I would try to get a touristy shot to show. Question is which camera is best qualifies as a relic - an Agfa Sillette, a Canonet G3 QL 1.7 or my new acquisition an OM 10.

Personally I tend to favour the OM10 but as it is the newest I suspect it is not the most suitable. I have to decide by lunchtime tomorrow so any opinions would be appreciated.

Roger

9. gray1720

I'd go for the Canonet, simply because I've used both the others (although the Silette is defintely the most relic-like). You could always drop into Campkins* and get two more rolls, and use the other two :)

I'm not sure it is petering out, I think it might be finding a new life of its own... certainly hope so!

Adrian

*Other camera shops are available

10. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

I hope it isn't petering out. I've shot a lot of film in the last month or so. I'm just prepping some stuff I shot on my new (?) Maxxum 7000.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Hope I did not give offence with that phrase. In fact I have decided to take the OM10 as it is a new one to me and I would like to see how well (if at all) it performs.

There is in fact a review of the Canonet in the user review section, but I think that I may have taken the images down when I was cleaning up my on line space a while ago.

Roger

12. gray1720

Not at all - in fact, with the arrivael of Yebisu and zx9 here, I think it's gaining new impetus. Must get my rolls done... all this grey should be good for B&W!

Adrian

13. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Shot these about a month ago but forgot about them.

I was poking around a box of junk cameras in recycle shop and found a Maxxum 7000 with a 50/1.4 attached. It looked pretty clean so bought it.. for 500 yen (about 4 GBP!). These are a few shots from the first roll I put through it. Superia 100 expired in 2007.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

A few more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm halfway through the another roll (Venus 800) and will probably finish it this weekend. I've only ever used Nikon cameras (apart from the Pentax 67) but I have to say I love using this Minolta.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  15. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

It's always fun trying out a new camera. And you've got a good excuse if the pictures are rubbish cos it was the camera's fault :p

And no offense taken by me. I only noticed this thread quite recently. Great fun.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Pentax 6x7 Oct 73 by Nesster, on Flickr

Enuff said! ;)

17. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

This is the second camera i've used for the Relic Challenge, the Agilux Agimatic rangefinder, circa 1956. This particular unit has the serial number 10180, but i had to cannibalise two other cameras which were in varying degrees of ill health to get all of this ones features, namely the uncoupled range finder, back working again. It has an extinction meter, and an unusual shutter lever as seen below, which when pushed all the way down also winds the film on. It has two lenses, a 45mm f2.8-f16 and an 85mm f5.5-f22. The shutter runs from B and 1 sec, through to 1/350th. The film count number can be seen upside down on the front of the camera, an interesting feature which by only tipping the camera back can be read by the user. There is an extinction meter in the centre below the coldshoe, which much to my surprise functioned quite amiably.

[​IMG]

The following pictures were all taken with the 45mm f2.8.

[​IMG]

Two ways down the same hill:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I noticed these reflections making their way across the floor toward the shopping centre, but sadly they were not fast enough to make it in before they closed for the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All these images received a little sharpening in Photoshop. The negs look sharp under my lupe, so i assume its the process of going from film to digital which softens them up a bit.

Next (and last) camera, my Pentax P30. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

20. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

This camera is the Pentax P30, first made in 1988. Serial number 4884911 (lens 28-80mm f3.5-4.5, serial 6670121)

[​IMG]

Some may say "That doesn't sound much like a relic to me" but lets put it this way:

This camera went out of production before the turn of the century.

Now it sounds nice and old, let me tell you a little about it:

Of my Relic Challenge cameras, this is the only one which has been in my family from new, the others i bought in the interest of using vintage cameras (Agimatic) or specifically for this challenge (Butcher 6).

It was originally my dads, but on a holiday to Malta its wind-on lever failed. I have a distinct memory of my dad pulling the exposed film from the back of the camera in the bright Maltese sunlight, my protestations that the images could have been saved if he'd wound it back ignored. I wanted to give fixing it a go immediately (I was 13/14 and full of youthful enthusiasm), but was not allowed to take a screwdriver to it until he'd got himself a new camera. That was more than a year later. When i fainally got to pull it apart i didn't have the right tools - luckily for me. I initially attempted to remove the top plate, but the screws were too small, the scratches i caused in the plastic still present over a decade and a half later... Then i noticed a screw under the lever. I undid that, took the plastic cover off the lever, tightened the screw holding the thin metal onto the body, then replaced the plastic cover. And just like that, it worked perfectly again. I offered it back to my dad, but he already had his new 35mm compact, so i suddenly owned my very own SLR camera. It was mine, and photography, from that point on, became my new passion the 35mm taking over from my Disk camera.

For this challenge, i used the cameras internal meter and used a combination of manual, and Aperture Priority. It has only seen film once since 1999, back in 2007. As such i'm surprised how well its stood up to the years. It was fantastic to be using a full frame viewfinder again, i hadn't realised how much i'd missed them.

This quartet of images is from the same day, in chronological order with only an hour between the two pairs:

The swans come up the Witham:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the ducks come down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(All images received sharpening and colour correction)