1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

With just eight days to go, I'm posting the (few) rules and regs here at the top of a dedicated read. This will be "stickied", and gain a companion thread for discussing the pictures once it starts "proper".

The rules:
    It's simple. Take an old camera, go out between April 28th and May 13th, and take some photos with it! Ideally make it something older than you usually use (if you regularly use something past its use by date), but if you only have one old camera, I'm not stopping you.

Be inventive - meet up with people, think of interesting things and place to shoot, and remember to have fun.

Once you've done that, post them here - if you can include a picture of the camera you used, and a few words on why you chose it, and on your subject, so much the better. If you choose to manipulate your image, whether in the darkroom or on the computer, let us know what you've done, or post before and after.

We have the offer of a special Relic Challenge Reader Spotlight in the magazine, as well. If you want to submit photographs for that, the requested details are here:

"There are a few things I'll need from each person:
    1. Their full name and where they're from
    2. The settings from their camera when they took the photo
    3. The camera model and lens
    4. A quick sentence or two about working with the camera and the image
    Obviously things such as lens and settings will depend on the camera but if everyone can do their best to get those details to me that would be great. I'd prefer it if people could submit their entries as digital files (300ppi, 2480 pixels along it longest edge and either JPEG or TIFF) but if they need to submit slides or prints I'm sure we can work something out."
    Usual Reader Spotlight entry details here:
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...ures_AP_Reader_Spotlight_features_293521.html

I would suggest that you submit for Spotlight by the end of May (assuming people need time to get films developed etc).

If you aren't sure what constitutes a "relic", or aren't sure what camera to choose, or are just wanting a bit of inspiration, here's the threads it's been discussed in (sorry, mods, those got a bit numerous, didn't they?)

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?95801-Anyone-for-a-Relic-Challenge
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?96275-The-Relic-Challenge-is-go!
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...hp?98146-Digital-what-digital&highlight=relic

Blow the dust off the Box Brownie and let's have some fun!

Adrian

2. gray1720

Here's an example of how I suggest people post their images for the relic challenge (hopefully yours will be better pics!). I know I'm a bit previous, but you have time to contemplate still.

[​IMG]

This is my first ever try at photographic paper negs - assuming ISO 6 with a grade 3 contrast filter, 4 seconds at f16 (f8 Rapid Rectilinear lens, fact fans) - scanned, inverted and flipped L-R. Just outside the darkroom with the camera on a step, where it was convenient to pop back down and develop it.

Here's the camera - a No 3 Folding Pocket Kodak from about 1908. I chose it from the many because I fancied trying paper negs, and film to fit it hasn't been made since 1961 - so paper is the only way to go! Plus how could I resist something this cute?

[​IMG]

Hope that's clear, and seems reasonable to everyone!

Adrian

3. gray1720

More from the No 3 Kodak

Still playing with paper, mostly so that someone starts posting here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to say that it's fairly obvious I need to choose my subjects better, avoid extremes of lighting, and get advice from someone with paper neg experience!

The very low viewpoints are because of the length of exposure, and because I have to cycle to the darkroom. My tripod is a PITA to carry at the best of times, never mind on a bike, so I'm just propping the camera up on its little foot, and using my lightmeter to adjust its height.

Adrian

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. gray1720

Balda Baldessa 1b

Hmm, don't think I've got much right here!

I put a roll of Tri-X through my Baldessa because it's taken the advent of an Agfa Parat to wrest the Balda from SWMBO's grasp, and took it out in the ghastly weather.

The negs all look pretty dense, I think the paper developer was getting old, there's that hideous artefact (not on the neg - so what the flip is it? Happened a couple of times, must be doing something wrong...), frankly it's a bit pants. Pity, because it's a lovely camera to use, and has by far the brightest and best lined-up rangefinder patch I've ever seen.

Adrian

[​IMG]

And here's the camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/3702578940/in/set-72157615594775003

5. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Right, here we go.....

The Camera.

Mamiya C33 with 80mm and 65mm lens - bought from someone I used to work with (who previously worked at Jessops) for £50. Film was a roll of Velvia 100F, out of date by around 7 years (kept in the freezer since around 2005 though)

[​IMG]

Reason for using it? Well as you can see from the image it fits a description of relic quite well. Plus it's fully manual, my other medium format camera (Fuji GA645zi) has built in metering, so I wanted to go back to basics.

The images are a series taken on a shopping trip to Birmingham. Staring off at Olton Station (Solihull) ending up with a poor quality self portrait.

[​IMG]
    Waiting for the train - View of the unused platform - Olton Station 80mm f/8 1/60

[​IMG]
    Recently closed Gamestation Store - Taken outside Primark, Birmingham City Centre - 65mm f/8 1/15 Camera placed on the pavement as I didn't take a tripod.

[​IMG]
    It was a short shopping trip, back at Moor Street Station 80mm f/8 1/15

6. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

part 2.....

[​IMG]
    Another ground level shot as it's a heavy old unit. 80mm f/8 1/15

[​IMG]
    The tunnel to SnowHill 80mm f/8 1/15

[​IMG]
    Poor quality self portrait 80mm f/2.8 1/60

Not much messing around from the originals, the were scanned when processed at the lab. Just a bit of playing with levels and correcting wonky horizons.

7. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Here is my machine of choice, a Butcher Number 6 Pocket Watch Carbine, serial D3132, bought for twenty quid from my local antique shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what i can research up on the interweb, Butcher merged with Houghton in 1926 which then became Ensign in 1930. They set up a joint factory in 1915 to build cameras in england through the war, and the back of the camera backs this up with "Made by the Houghton Butcher MFC.Co. LTD. London" on the reverse. The earliest date i can find for the Carbine 6 model is 1923 so this camera is at least 86 but could be as much as 89? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

She seems to have been well loved, with the feet measurement converted into meters and a William McIntosh logo suggesting it was either originally bought from there or more likely later serviced there. The shutter is still spritely, but sadly there are some light leaks nowadays.

[​IMG]

The lens is a 105mm f4.5, and has the words "Doppel-Anastigmat Correktar" and "OMFA Muenchen", with a compur shutter offering from one second to 250th of a second, with manual bulb and self holding bulb settings available.

[​IMG]

When i got her, she needed a few bits and pieces, and still does, but the major piece which needed repairing was one of the bolts which held the apparatus on the underside of the cradle and the hinge all together. A trip to the model shop found the correct size bolts and the repair was relatively simple, although not really in keeping with the cameras period aesthetics.

[​IMG]

Picture follows in post two:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I had wanted to hold back from using this camera until the challenge was on, but this was not wise. My old Western Euromaster seems to have got a little tired since the last time i took it out for some use, and the negatives were mostly embarrassingly under exposed. The processors did some serious magic to get them to the state they are, and i tweaked them with auto colour, contrast and tone in Photoshop just to get them respectable, considering that the lens is uncoated and various light leaks took their toll on the film.

This picture is the one from the roll of eight 6x9 shots available to the 120 Kodak Porta 400 roll i shot with:

[​IMG]

The original disk was miss-scanned in the shop, but it produced a very interesting effect which i've laced together in photoshop to show what the end of the roll looks like as on the negatives.

[​IMG]

I'm definitely up for using this camera a bit more, but at £15 for 8 prints its going to be for special occasions only, i feel.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  9. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

BIG SPIDER. It helps to have some sun when making sun-prints. When Sol eventually deigned to shine, a mad flurry of activity ensued. Made with really old Ilford MGIV RC, a bit of a wash in tap-water and then a dip in fixer.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/42689502@N08/7182747332/

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A little while ago I had a conversation that ended up in my deciding that I did not want to recommission my 1884 Watson Tailboard as I thought I would damage the hinges on the slide holders, but I would post an image, the additional lens in fromt of the camera is a wide angle.
    [​IMG]

And here is a picture taken with it in 1884 of it's first two owners. The younger was then 7 years old. Some of you may have seen this image before if so please accept my apologies

[​IMG]

11. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I have just put a roll of film through a MPP Microflex (1958) which I rescued recently. I'm most impressed by the lens quality, rather less impressed by the winding mechanism and shutter release.

For some reason I can't access the full reply panel, only the 'quick reply' which doesn't let me embed images but the samples, and a picture of the camera are here. If anyone can tell me how to get the full reply panel I'd be grateful - I looked at the FAQ but can't see what I'm doing wrong.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46890278/Forum/microflex015-1.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46890278/Forum/microflex017-2.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46890278/Forum/P1090503-1.jpg

12. attack_donut

attack_donut Well-Known Member

The developers ruined the 3 rolls I put through my Yashica 124g so no pics from me :(

13. gray1720

Given that it's been extended, you could always try another developer? Failing that, you could always take interesting sequences of someone trying to walk with a Yashica 124g shoved where the sun don't shine?

Adrian

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Here are the best from the second roll of 8 shot on the Butcher Carbine. As you can see from the before and after pictures, there has been some work on these. Auto tone, contrast and colour but also some sharpening as i decided to experiment with not pulling the lens all the way out to see where it should sit... Not a great idea, it ended up focusing beyond infinity in some cases and generally buggered everything up. Still under exposing which suggests either the aperture is off, the spring is too fast, or my meter is duff. Still don't know which. Tested the meter with my digi setup and it appears to be fine.

The obligatory self portrait - the cameras screw was too shallow for a release plate which was frustrating, but lucky for me the 3LT tripod has a double sided 3/8" and 1/4" bolt where the head attaches so i just removed the head, spun that round and attached the carbine direct to the 'pod. Minus points for using outdoor balanced film under fluorescent tube light mixed with a little window light, doing a teapot impression and not having a haircut before taking this picture. Note the double thumb, i believe this was shot at half a second shutter speed.

[​IMG]

And the original:

[​IMG]

An 'orse and cart, probably of the same period of the camera if not older (or younger :p) This one needed a levels tweak and a touch of sharpening as well as the auto colour and contrast.

[​IMG]

The Original:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  15. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

And the inside of Lincoln cathedral. This one needed excessive sharpening and a little crop to straighten it up.

[​IMG]

the original:

[​IMG]

16. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Taken at Yorkshire Sculpture Park ~ first roll I have put through this camera since I acquired it quite a few years ago ~ suitably impressed! It is so simple to use.
    Considering the film was 5 years out of date, and the asa is stuck at 100 (film was 400 asa) there results aren't too bad.
    Can't post a picture of the camera as on impulse I've set a One~Shot Challenge to my ps members using it loaded with FP4.
    I developed a roll of FP4 yesteerday, and so far, the negatives don't look bad ~ I'll upload some images from that film when I have printed and scanned them.
    I feel really enthused, so intend to spend the rest of the day sloshing about with my chemicals!!!;}
    (Now to see if I uploaded the images correctly!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(This one needed a bit of tweaking in ps7 to bring out detail which was obviousely there)

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
  17. josie

josie Well-Known Member

More shots from Yorkshire Sculpture Park using my Olympus Trip.

[​IMG]
    This one was taken through the car window on the journey

[​IMG]
    This one was taken of a long horn cow in a field across a river.

[​IMG]
    I thought I'd better include one of the "Sculptures!" {Not particularly sharp, but that is due to operator error)

Any ideas why they aren't all showing when I'm sure I uploaded them all in identical manner?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Edinburgh + Brownie

Here's the first scanned image from my first roll of T-MAX400. Not my best ever editing but it really needed a bit of punch. It had been overexposed so I shortened development, plus I think my DDX isn't an ideal match for TMY2. Still, there are more (and better! ? ) images to come.

[​IMG]
    AP Relic Challenge - National Monument by Zou san, on Flickr

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

20. ailsar

ailsar Member

Here's my first contribution. Borrowed one of the darling blond's cameras, since he has a great many box cameras to play with, then just went for a wander along the river in the late afternoon. This is just some of the local geese lazing about. Taken Sun 13 May with a No 2 Kodak Brownie (the red one in the linked pic), using Adox CHS Art 50 black & white 120 film, developed by gray1720 in Rodinal at 1 in 25.

[​IMG]

The only tweaking has been to shift the levels very slightly.

Link to shot of camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/6362168005/