1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge - image discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 28, 2012.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That's quite a story, Roger! I was using Fox Talbot's name in a figurative sense (though my great-granny actually DID know Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon), so to hear that they were localish was a bit of a surprise.

Mike - what are the problems with the Microcord? Is it age-related crustiness, or Ministry of Carp Design?

Adrian

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I saw your post in the Challenge images thread, Attack Donut, what happened? Did they give you an explanation of what went wrong?

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Started scanning the first roll of two from my Brownie. looks pretty decent although a tad low on contrast. It's my first experience shooting T-MAX and there's a possibility I didn't develop it at its optimal paramters.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Nice picture there, Zou, look forward to seeing the next ones :)

EDIT - Nice pictures too, Sunshine. Look forward to seeing snaps of the cameras used to make the pictures. Any old snap'll do, cameraphone or anything'll be fine ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  5. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Hmm ~ I'm not happy with the secoond film I put through the olympus ~ a few minor scratches on the film but the main issue is the subject choice ~ I got carried away taking pictures of my 4 year old great niece and I'm reluctant to post them on the web. Can I have another go? It'll have to be another camera (yes ~ I do have a few to go at!) as I am using the camera for another purpose at present ~ please, pretty please ~ I'll do it this weekend weather permitting.:cool::eek::)

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Been scanning some of my shots from the Rocca. They're pretty bad pictures, but that's generally because of my lack of inspiration rather than the camera. Exposures were pretty good, but I've forgotten how to estimate distance over the last 10 years - I used to be very good at it, but I'm clearly not now. Full marks to the shutter, which performed brilliantly. What stood out most, though, was the very old-fashioned colour - I was using the latest Kodak Ektra 100, but the colours were very 1950s, and despite use of the hood, there was quite a bit of flare. I'll put them up this evening, along with a pic of the camera on location. Must say I didn't particularly enjoy using it - nothing to do with the camera in question so much as the type of camera - I never felt I was using it to best advantage, nor that it was suiting my shooting style; again, something that's probably changed over the last 10 years, because I used to use cameras of this type quite a lot - direct-vision full control fixed-lens compacts.

7. gray1720

Of course you can - I hope you already have, in fact!

Zou - I love your skies. Yellow filter? And so sharp, too - very impressive for a tin box.

As for Ailsar's image, I'm not allowed to say anything negative :eek:, am I dear?

Adrian

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that - I have been fairly unhappy with the softness of the first film. Not sure if it is down to poor handling when tripping the shutter or poor development. The film (TMAX400) was too fast for the conditions, and I didn't have a filter with me, so I developed halfway between EI200 and EI400. Still very flat results so I used levels and dodging/burning in PSE to bring it back to respectability. I had an orange filter with me for the second film but I haven't developed it yet. Maybe today or tomorrow... There's still a scanning backlog. ;)

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

nice stuff Zou:cool:

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Blimey that was quick! Thanks!

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

okay I'lllll slllllooowwww it dowwwwwwnnnn.....:p

12. gray1720

Post ~25 - I do like that, taxor! Over on Rangefinder Forum people would be getting all moist over the tonality of it.

Incidentally - how do you find the focussing on the XA2? I've only got one roll out of mine (the first was mangled when the power failed while it was in the developer), and I'm far from convinced - either I should pay a damn sight more attention to stuff at 1.6 metres, or go for stuff at infinity...

Adrian

13. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Hi Adrian, the focussing on the XA2 is a bit hit-and-miss. I sometimes set the distance lever between the closest and midway indicators as (I think) I did in this shot. I've got some really good grab shots with it. I almost exclusively use it when I go out on the p*ss; you see some really funny sights when you're out. One really annoying thing is the flash ready light; talk about lighting the beacon! I blacked mine out with a permanent marker and now it's much less noticable in public.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not really 'image discussion', but related...

I had a look in CashConvertors the other day - they sometimes have cheap photo-gear on show.

In the glass cabinet, they had four old SLRs - an MESuper, an OM-4, a Praktica Bxx (can't remember what the xx was!) and a Minolta X-something.

The most expensive was the Olympus at £39.99, the cheapest the Praktica at £19.99. Cheap, compared with prices I've seen on the internet, so I assume they either don't know what they are worth or they need work (foam-rot?).

As I have a wardrobe full of old Pentax SLRs (all suffering from foam-rot - must do something about that) I wasn't tempted...