1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Red Dot

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by John Tarrant, Apr 7, 2019.

1. John Tarrant

John Tarrant Member

I am aware that there is some consternation about the proliferation of red dots on modern Leicas, but as a user of an elderly M2 I became aware of the fact that the central disc of the film type reminder had gone AWOL. A search of the cupboard revealed a pack of slide mount dots (remember those?). One of these dots fitted the reminder disc very nicely and I could note the film type that was in the camera on it. Of course the dots that I retrieved from the cupboard were RED! So I now have a vintage Leica sporting a discreet red dot

red dot.jpg

William Parker likes this.
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Ah John, perhaps you can help me with my Leica problem!

Do I have to buy a red dot before I can put black tape over the red dot on my Leica?

[​IMG]Low-Budget Leica rig by gray1720, on Flickr

:)

Adrian

3. John Tarrant

John Tarrant Member

That's a really interesting philosophical problem. Having discovered my collection of red dots I did consider adding one to my faithful M1 thinking that it might cause a little confusion to Leica spotters out there, but then I thought what if I painted my M1 black before adding the red dot. What price a black M1 with red dot a real rarity for the collecting fraternity!(if only I could find the original Wetzlar endorsed receipt!)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've no idea but I did know a bloke who had a black M3 DW. He was a stills man in the film industry. He claimed he'd smuggled a Wetzlar tech on to the set of a West German film so the tech could see his dream actress in the (allegedly considerable) flesh. In return the tech had the M3 and its lenses dechromed and painted. While I doubted the story somewhat, when I helped my friend's widow sell off his gear she got about four times what chrome versions were going for at the time.

5. John Tarrant

John Tarrant Member

IMG_5048.jpg

If anyone asks me I say that it is a rare M1-2 of which none were made so it is the ultimate collectable, but great fun to actually use!

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

*giggles hysterically*

Adrian

7. John Tarrant

John Tarrant Member

Here we are: last bit of fun, the incredibly rare black paint Leica M1-2

m1-2 copy.jpg

steveandthedogs likes this.