1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pocket Camera Thread.

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

4979491131_8dffb1d040_z.jpg

SXH, RovingMike and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A quick(ish) history of my pocket cameras in a series of (not very) random images...
    [​IMG]
    Me, at the North Star. Taken by a friend without my knowledge when I was showing her my new Pentax X33LF. Not really a pocket camera - it was bulky and weighed too much - and only 3 and a bit MP. You will be glad to hear that I, at least, have lost weight since then! About 3 stone, in fact! :cool:

[​IMG]
    My next pocket camera was a Vivitar X8027 - up to 8MP! Must have been around 2012 as that was the last time we had an appreciable amount of snow! Nice camera, but tended to forget certain settings, which was a bit of a pain.

[​IMG]
    Next came my Canon A1200 with, you've guessed, 12MP. A nice little camera, but with a limited zoom. The dancers (appropriately outside HMV) are apparently a sundial, as well as a deeply meaningful representation of the history of Staines.

[​IMG]
    For while I also had an Olympus SH-1. Didn't really get on with it - superzoom, but no viewfinder and with eyesight as bad as mine, you really need one. The angel above is part of the Staines War Memorial.

[​IMG]
    And my current pocket camera - a Lumix LF1. Reasonable zoom (28-200mm equivalent), nice viewfinder, reasonable 'macro' facility (that's a Mint Moth on a gone to seed chive plant) etc. I really like it. So, of course, Panasonic have dropped it from the range! :mad:

So, there you go, 5 cameras in about 13 years. And I still own four of them!

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Oops, forgot one!
    [​IMG]
    Spelthorne Council Offices taken with my Olympus C-1 Zoom. 1.3MP! A gift from a neighbour who found it too complicated to use. Pretty bad distortion at wide angle - the above example has been 'straightened' a bit...

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Primroses on our garden path (HX90)...

[​IMG]

SXH likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

On the way home we ran into this swan who may have had a frog in his throat :) (Sony HX90)

[​IMG]

6. Andrew Flannigan

Another plane grabbed in passing, Just got the camera out as it passed overhead...

[​IMG]

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Apparently a 1989 PA-28-161 Cadet that used to be registered as SE-KII.

Amazing the info people put on this 'ere internet thingy.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

One thing about pocket cameras is that they tend to have small sensors, which means short focal length lenses. Which means they can provide a 'macro' mode with reasonable DOF. Like this pic of an evil invader I just grabbed.
    [​IMG]
    Harlequin ladybird

Mind you, I did have to crop the image quite a bit...

9. Christopher David Tansley

Christopher David Tansley Well-Known Member

10. Christopher David Tansley

11. Christopher David Tansley

Attached Files:

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  12. Christopher David Tansley

My pocket camera is a Canon Powershot SX170.

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Nothing evil about that - unless you're an aphid of course...:)

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Or a native ladybird - the Harlequins (American invader, iirc) not only predate the native ones, but also carry diseases that the local ones have no immunity to.

A bit like the American crayfish wiping out the English ones.

15. Andrew Flannigan

Summer's suddenly sat up and is whacking us round the chops. This is our neighbour's mock orange that intrudes a little way into our garden. I don't mind when it flowers like this...

[​IMG]

16. Andrew Flannigan

These poppies just showed up in our garden and very welcome they are too...

[​IMG]

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Seeing as all my pics on here have been effectively removed by the money-grabbing ********** at Photobucket, have an attachment to help make up for it...
    1010561ces.jpg
    Banded demoiselle (male). Probably.

ETA: there were two of them fluttering about - and a third one which was mainly green. A female they were fighting over?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  18. Andrew Flannigan

This thread's gone a bit quiet. How about a sqare(ish) tree to get things going again (Sony HX90) ...

Sony HX90 8GB 01 DSC01219.JPG

19. Andrew Flannigan

You can get some nicely compressed perspective when your lens can zoom to the equivalent of 720mm on full frame (Sony HX90) ...

Sony HX90 8GB 01 DSC01216.JPG

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member