1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Photography Show 2015

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by IvorETower, Mar 6, 2015.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Surprised that nobody appears to have rasied this yet.... 2 weeks to go, 21st March for 4 days although it appears that the final Tuesday is for students only.
    Looks like AP has a stand, wonder who will be there?
    I have my ticket for the Saturday printed off at the ready and aim to go by train.
    So, who else alongst the AP Forum Membership may be there this year?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

what's the chance of a show special 25% off a 500 F4 from Canon?

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Well, I've plugged it a couple of times in various Threads. I'm going on the Tuesday with the other Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse, so the students better watch out! ;)

The last day is the one to get pally with exhibitors, esp. the retailers, and haggle a deal just after lunch to save them having to pack it all up, load the van & take it back to base. :)

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Yep you can get deals that way my local every couple of months this Vintage/Retro fair where various stallholders set up in the upstairs bar and sell various things. They often have lovely clothes but apart from one jacket nothing fits but there's one lady who has jewellery so I go on the Saturday and of course there's a few bits I have to snatch up but come Sunday afternoon as she's getting ready to go...Last Sunday ended giving me a jewellery box for being her best customer on top of my picking up a ton of bargains rather than her having to pack them up

5. IvorETower

Indeed, but that would mean having to take a day off work and pay the exhorbitant weekday peak-hour rail fares (and week-day parking charges at the station or local town centre).

FoI tickets used to give you unlimited entry but with TPS, it appears that you have to buy a separate ticket for each day

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I will be going on the Monday as early as poss will travel by train, and I just may buy a pre used D2x we shall see, other than that I only go to catch up with (very) old friends, whoever is going have a nice time!

7. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

I'm going on Saturday. I hope to see and play with some of the new cameras for 2015.

8. IvorETower

Apart from the disorganised chaos of the queue when the show opened (took me 15 minutes to get it), not bad at all. Much wider gangways that last year or at FoI, so I never came across any total blockages.

Pentax/Ricoh were there with multi-coloured cameras, but no Q's at all (What does that say about their commitment to this range of cameras?)

Latest KS1 and KS2 look and feel interesting but with a brother who's a teacher they remind me of Key Stages 1 and 2, maybe just as appropriate for starting off in photography !

LCE and CameraWorld stands appeared to be doing a roaring trade in selling new and used stuff; Calumet slightly less busy.

There were the usual large stands for Nikon and Canon; GPOTY stand almost got my hay fever started so I had to hurry on by.

Roll on the 2016 show !

EDIT: Didn't notice any AP/WDC staff on their stand, just "publicity staff" trying to flog subscriptions and magazine bundles

9. JoeKerslake

JoeKerslake Well-Known Member

Is there anyone there today who could price check something for me?

10. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Well I have been to the show to-day Monday as stated...I caught the 10.36 train from New St Birmingham, I was there in no time at all, it was easy to get round did not see any one reconizable at any of the photomags stands, I saw the people who I wanted to see, I did not see any used D2xs for sale so my money stayed in my pocket, and to all those reps who were chewing gum while trying to talk to people shame on you! Most of the stands were very busy but there were just a few with nobody there at all, there were a few stands with speakers who were trying to tell people about how to take decent portraites they were well attended, the Nikon stand was very busy so was the Canon stand, the RPS stand had a good representation of known people on there, people were helping themselves to RPS magazine so it must of been free, I must say I was a bit p......off by missing the free cup of coffee by ten minutes because the queues for drinks at the outlets were very long, I watched a couple of demo's about the latest editing software and I have come to the conclusion that you don't have to be an expert to be a good photographer you just need to know how to use all the latest editing programmes! well you can sharpen picture's you can control the depth of field to any part of the picture you want,you can lighten it darken it focus where you want to, but the editing tool what I liked was the one where you could make peoples face's normal again if you have been stupid enough to use a wide angle lens to close to the person! after 3hrs I got bored and went home and had a lovely meal in Bullring Birmingham, the queue's at the show were now out of the question to eat there! Then it was a bus home and back to my easy chair......sorry JoeKerslake only just switched the laptop on or else your query could have been delt with...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  11. JoeKerslake

JoeKerslake Well-Known Member

Not a problem, I phone the manufacturer and they gave me the info I needed!