1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Photo Show, Birmingham

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by IvorCamera, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's not been a maglev for nearly 20 years; it ceased operation in 1995, and the current system is cable operated. ;)

It was the first commercial maglev in the world when first installed, and I remember as a student making a special trip just to have a ride on it. Saddo! ;)

2. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone else noticed that. I too was also looking to have a play with the A7r and possibly buy a heavily discounted A99! Hopefully they will be at Southampton.
    Still, I did have a good look at the new Tamron 150-600mm and a couple of Sigmas as well.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Really? I only went on Saturday and it was packed from around 10:45 to 2:00pm when I was there. Some aisles were jammed packed and you could hardly move. There was less "free space" for eating your own food than at "Focus" and it generally seemed a better show for the casual amateur like myself, even if I resisted purchasing more than one item !
    I hope it returns next year and that more floorspace is available. The queues to get served at the 3 main retailers' stores already named in this thread were amazing at times, and this year I didn't bump into anyone I know in the 3 hours that I was there.
    BTW when I arrived I recon the queues to buy tickets at the door were probably going to take around 15 to 20 minutes to clear the tills, so the 95p "booking fee" did come into its own

4. geoffteeth

geoffteeth Member

I found it too uncomfortable to stay longer than 45 mins on saturday, stood still in crowds is not my ideal way of spending a saturday. I was really looking forward to it aswell, I really hope they have more room next year.

5. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Maybe Event City next year, bigger hall and free parking.

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Now you might think that given I can jump on the DLR less than a minutes walk from my front door, change at Poplar and be at the Excel in less than 30 minutes- I's be in favour but I'm not

The Excel is a horrendous hell hole and the last time I had a drink in there it was £1.60 for a can of Coke and this was 2002! (I wasn't thankfully paying)

Also if it were nearer home I might go and spend too much money!

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I used to be offered tickets for antiques shows at the NEC, free of charge, which highlighted somewhere on the ticket that parking would be free.

Parking originally used to be free at Focus on Photography and then appeared after a few years without announcement by Mary Walker's organisation. I never received a satisfactory explanation from them and I think others have protested as well. Once again this year the guys on the gate, when we were paying for egress, asked us which show we had been to. Our response was 'Which one has the cheapest parking?' We still had to pay! :(

8. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

I trust this was verbal abuse? ;)

I wanted to see Sony kit too - video and A7R. From the reviews I've read, I think the A7R's successor will be a camera worth having. I love the way you can stick any old lens on these cameras via an adapter.

The only thing I bought at the show was an E-mount adapter so that I could fit Nikon lenses on my NEX6. It looks particularly silly with a 70-200 f2.8 stuck to it... :)