1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Photo Show, Birmingham

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by IvorCamera, Mar 4, 2014.

1. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I went to the photo show in Birmingham yesterday (monday) I thought this would have been a quiet day I was wrong! it was so packed with people it was uncomfortable and by 1.30pm I had enough! Some of the Isles were so packed they had come to a standstill, however what I saw was very good I met lots of old friends, and managed to handle the equipment that I wanted to see, but I did not buy anything. Next year I just hope that they move into a bigger hall in the NEC!

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fairly quiet at the moment...

3. IvorCamera

Lucky you, there should be plenty of bargains to be had to-day!

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Didn't buy anything at all, but had a good look at lots of kit and a chat with Mr Demolder, formerly of this parish, who handed me the GH4 and Leica 42.5mm f1.2 to use during his Hairy Biker session. Have to say the lens was lovely, but the camera utterly confusing (could I get it to switch fluidly - or at all - between selecting focus points by touch and inputting exosure compensation? No, I could not!) and the EVF as dreadful as most - sadly, also true with the otherwise very nice indeed Fuji X-T1 - unusable for me. Both cameras make the Nikon Df look even more absurd, with pretty sensible dials, but the Panny has way too many buttons, especially given the touch screen.

Best bargain I saw was refurbed EOS M kits with 18-55 and flash for £199. An absolute steal. Decent deals on all the Fujis, too.

Was very impressed with the format of the show, it takes Focus on a step.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Nick, thanks for your report. I trust Mr Demolder was in good spirits.

Now that Jacobs is no longer, which retailers were there competing with each other for our cash? Were there any EF-M 11-22 refurbished lenses? I'm still trying to decide whether to make a visit tomorrow. Thanks

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Excellent. He's having a whale of a time.

Three major retail operations - Cameraworld, Calumet and LCE (who had Nick Richens himself serving). No 11-22s refurbed or otherwise today. Canon lenses varied from real bargains to frankly overpriced - some had "double cashback".
    Was personally most tempted by the little S110 (refurb) at £125, but I don't need a compact any more thanks to the M.

Incidentally, there were some Pentax (or rather Ricoh) UK staff working on the LCE stand, so they did have some sort of presence at the show.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Nick - thanks for your comments. I'll give Birmingham a miss this year.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

A low-key low-cost highly effective presence. Clear space, a few well appointed cameras and loads of lenses. (Shame Leica did not have their shop there. :() The exposure over-ride settings on the K50 & K500 were not responding to user input when I was there. I made a point of checking out the K3, too. Pentax are, imv, 'one to watch'.

Sorry we didn't get to meet. ;) Another time.

9. 0lybacker

I agree, it was too cramped but I guess the NEC wanted loadsamoney for an adjacent space - if any was available.

Am guessing that this show was put together in 'difficult' circumstances. Now that the organisers know they can carry it off and it was a success, I expect it may be fine tuned for next time.

Four happy photographers heading for a bowl of noodles, checked with each other and found that no-one had bought anything. First time ever, I think, that had happened. :) Nikon Norman nearly spent £1000 on a car photography rig and £665 (or £649) on a Panasonic GX7 but is only really likely to buy the latter, reckoning he can build a car rig.

That GX7 is an impressive camera. I like that one, too.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I had a play with the Mount Shield lens for the Q - looks like great fun - and the 645D, which is about half the price it was first time I saw it at Focus two years ago, and which is a very serious bit of kit.

Indeed. :)

11. 0lybacker

I have just realised that I didn't see Sony there. I had forgotten all about them, despite their name coming up in conversation as the four of us mosied around. If Ricoh Pentax were slightly invisible, Sony were ... well, were they there?

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If they were there, I didn't see their stand - and I had intended to have a look at the A7/R. There were Sony people there, because Damien abused them - which made a change from abusing me. ;)

13. IvorCamera

The one item that seemed quite interesting to have for compact camera use was expanding/telescopic arm that you could fix a small camera on the end for use in crowds when you cant get a decent view of anything! But I could not get near the counter to investigate, does anybody know any details of these?

14. mrganderson

mrganderson Well-Known Member

I thought the show was great, im a bit dissapointed some of the big names didnt make the effort. I was also amazed how quiet Saturday was and how busy monday was, i expected the opposite

The important thing for me is, it was a success. If it had failed, it would have probably been moved to London. Which means id probably never go again.
    90% of the UK population live within 2 hours of the Birmingham NEC. Where as London its only 50%. Im a big supporter of bringing things out of the capital and making them acessable to the majority of the UK population.

The best bit of the show for me was i bought a Fuji XE-1 with a 18-55mm lens for £449.00

The worst bit was my wife came with me for the first time. You wouldnt believe how many times i heard the words. How much ? And Do you really need it?

Im going solo next year

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

what will happen if Birmingham City Council sell off the NEC to "backpay" all their female staff...:confused:

16. Malcolm_Stewart

Interesting question. I was comparing the charges at the NEC and at another well known venue, Ally Pally which I visited a few weeks ago for the Model Engineering Exhibition. At Ally Pally, car parking and the courtesy bus from car park up the hill to Ally Pally were included in the admission charge, which was £10. That compares well with NEC where the car park alone is £10. To me, this makes the NEC seem poor value, as the catering arrangements were fully adequate at Ally Pally, and the views from Ally Pally are far better, and the building has some history.

Wasn't the Excel Centre in East London mooted for the Photo Show some time ago?

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The other show on at the NEC yesterday was offering free parking, so don't blame the venue!

Additionally, the last thing we need is to move more things to London. The NEC is pretty close to the geographical centre of England - Meriden is half a dozen miles away - and not far off the centre of population (Appleby Parva in Leicestershire, just along the M42). It's on the West Coast Mainline. It's on the M42, no distance from the M6, has its own airport and is only 20 minutes from my house. Couldn't be a more perfect venue! ;)

18. mrganderson

mrganderson Well-Known Member

The Entrance fee and the Parking charges are something the organisers have to balance out with the cost of hiring the NEC. Some shows do include the parking in the ticket price. but these are generally more expensive to enter in the first place. Also the Photography show is free to enter for trade. I took two of my staff with me and so £10.00 per day for parking and free entry made it quite cheap. We also attended 3 of the four days. I would have guessed that at least half the people who attend are trade. So they don't get that much off the door.

I am about 1 hours drive from the NEC if the roads are clear.
    However if the Show moved to the London Excel centre the cost of going would not be worth it. And i hate London.
    the costs of taking myself and 2 staff would be roughly
    3 Train tickets to london plus tube fare. £240.00
    3 nights accommodation with evening meals £900.00
    then imagine the costs of buying food at the Excel centre.
    In the end i could stay at home and buy a full frame camera.

The great thing about the NEC is it is central to the UK. Birmingham International Train station is on site. Plus there is the Birmingham international airport which has the maglev, an overhead rail link to the Train stain. Its perfect.

19. Nytsom

Nytsom Well-Known Member

That's a bargain X-E1. I looked at one - they were £629.00 a saving of almost £180.00 would certainly tempt me. my wife would say exactly the same : "How Much? and Do yo really need it" I always say : Yes love; it's a bargain, I've been looking for one for ages.

Wonder if they're coming down in price?

20. Nytsom

Nytsom Well-Known Member

Thanks to all the posters on this thread for sharing some of the Photography (camera) show with us. Must say I enjoyed reading your posts.