1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The OMD E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Snorri, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of getting a mirror less camera for awhile but I have not bought one as I don't really need one. Truth to be told that has never stoped me... And I have been looking at the current range, most have very fragile looking back screen systems. That brings me to the E-M5 I have checked out the Mark II but it looks like there is some amount of second hand mark I cameras with the 12-50 lens. As far as I can se there is not much upgrade, Wifi and better elf resolution and it looks the never body is bundeled with the. 14-42mm or the 17mm.
    So would I be better of just grabbing a second hand one or am I missing something that makes the new one worth the extra? How about the EVF the me II has huge increase in resolution, of much of a difference does that make? And yes I will actually use the EVF. The lens, how is the 12-50? I use a 15-85mm on my Canon so the range looks good but how is the quality?

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The 12-50 is the kit lens and has a kind of electric zoom. I'm sure it is quite good, but it is in the lowest of their three quality levels. The really good one is the f2.8 12-40 Pro, but it is chunky on the smaller bodies. In fact I have lenses from all their categories and I can't say any has disappointed me.The pancake 14-42 is excellent.
    The EM5 is now a 5 year old model, but at 16MP still good. Friend of mine dumped all his full frame Canon gear for one and he is a photojournalist. Like you I am suspicious of both the MkII upgrades on that and EM1. They are better, but only by a bit. To get the 20MP sensor I went for the PenF and will wait for EM5 mkIII, which is believed to be due early next year, but price will be steep.

I can't see you being disappointed with the old 5 unless you are super critical.

3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

My main concern is the EVF, I have tried the new E10 Mark II and that one has a surprisingly good one so that is the main reason I am looking into this direction. Like your friend (I guess) I am getting tired of lugging the Canons around so they get left at home far to often. A smaller lighter kit is what I am looking for, the Pen-F is tempting as well.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Tried some EVF's at a show last year, still can't get on with them.

S

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I have no problem with the EM-1 and Pen in that respect. What you get used to I guess. My colleague is drooling over my Pen F and dinky lenses even though he bought a big Sony only last year. for twice the price. Was suckered by the full frame and pixel count. Now he doesn't want to lug the lenses especially.