1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Old Man Of Storr , - a few changes .

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Skyehammer, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

My Wife and I had to go to Portree this morning , for a chat with the teachers about our Son , Daniel's future , and seeing as we were finished by 130pm , and it was a lovely sunny day , I decided to go and take a few snaps of The Old Man Of Storr .
    I took a few from the view about a mile or so away , then drove up to the foot of the range .

We've been here on Skye for 25 years now , and I have never climbed up The Old Man Of Storr , - Jennie my Wife has 3 times , once when Dan was about 8 [ so even he has been up there ] .
    Even though I can't walk very far , I decided to see what all the fuss was all about , there were only 2 other cars parked in the little space provided , so I wasn't going to bump into too many folk .
    We'd only gone a few metres when it became clear to me that the Forestry Boys had been there before us , all the trees that you would normally have to make your way through have all gone , it's a scrubland now , a complete mess , and it looks like they haven't finished .
    So anyone coming to visit Skye with the purpose of re-enacting that wonderful panoramic shot created by Emmanuel Coupe in 2009 and in so doing , winning The Landscape Photographer of The Year , think again , as the bottom part of your photo won't look the same .
    Ah well , I'm sure that in about 25 years time , the regeneration will have happened .
    By the way , I managed [ with a few stops ! ] to get about a fifth of the way up , then we had to turn back and meet Dan from School , it looked to me like about a quarter of the way , but Jennie put me right . With a bit of practise , I'm hoping , one day to make it to the top .
    Anyway , Photographers beware , the bottom of TOMOS doesn't look that good at the moment .

Kind Regards ,

Peter Williams .

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've also not been up. It always seems to have just rained and the path is a quagmire whenever I've thought about making the climb.

3. Skyehammer

In Summer it's a Tourist hotspot , it's like Piccadilly Circus up there ![​IMG]

It was sunny and dry , bit squelchy under foot in parts but on the whole ok , being the daft old git that I am , I only had a long sleeved t shirt on [ trousers as well ] , and the wind was biting , and there was a fresh coating of snow on the top of the range . I was glad of the warmth of the car .
    Just as we got back to Portree it started raining !

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The last thing you want on Skye (for photography at least) is sunshine and blue skies.

Most of the more dramatic pictures I have taken on the island have been in shitey weather and the same applies to most that I have seen by others.

The forestry operations below TOMOS have been ongoing for a couple of years now.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Been up a couple of times, and close a fair few more. The stormclouds almost always oblige. ;)

6. PhotoEcosse

They often do Nick.

My worry is that photographers may sometimes be discouraged from visitng the Isles and the NW of Scotland because of the prevailing weather patterns whereas, in reality, the variety of weather and light is one of the strengths of the area.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Absolutely right. I remember one time we were there, staying on the campsite at the Slig. Had been rained out at Storr and had given up on anythng but grey skies and more rain, so went back to dry out and head for the bar. The rain stopped and the low cloud cleared in minutes, with an amazing blue sky with a mixture of white and black clouds as a backdrop to Glamaig with a band of sunshine running around it near the top. Just managed to set up the tripod and get a shot before the clouds came back and the rain started again, but that was the same time I lost the battle with the midges anyway. ;)
    The picture's still on the wall, as much to remind me never to completely give up as anything.

Actually, that picture aside, it was the worst day I've had on Skye for light - no drama in it for the most part, nor even a hint of mist, just dull, dreary and dead all day.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

just like Birmingham then....

9. PhotoEcosse

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

A friend who lives in Lochcarron in the NW Highlands is fond of saying "If you don't like the weather in the Highlands, wait five minutes, and you'll have something different." :)

11. Skyehammer

I saw the last 7 minutes of Mr Weston's visit to Skye , with his fake mist created by one of his assistants , his sycophantic laptop worker and his ScotAmerican accent .
    He did achieve very nice looking shots with his fake mist , mind you , and I almost warmed to him until he said , ' Well , it was nice coming to this Island but it will be good to get back to New York ' , it was just another photo shoot , eh , Al ?

Quite reassuring to hear , for all the talk about Skye , that there has been no mention of ' the wee beasties ' . [​IMG]

For all those venturing up here , the better of the many anti-midge solutions that I have used , and I've tried them all , are ' Smidge ' and ' Avon Skin So Soft ' . Those or a very fine meshed midge hood .

12. PhotoEcosse

I think that what he said was that he was looking forward to getting home to NY "to work on his photographs".

As he had spent a lot of time camping on Skye as a boy, presumably he knew the best time of year to avoid the midgies. (And I would second your motion about Avon Skin so Soft - it's what the SAS use.)

13. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

well thank u for the heads up i thoroughly enjoyed that,

ye wee Scots are too sensitive man:)

14. Skyehammer

Yeah , I know , Ecosse , I think I didn't take to him because his accent was too similar to a Director I worked under when I was a Gardener ! [​IMG] He was a bit of a sh*t !