1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The not-so Red Arrows

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by J4kerobbo, May 19, 2017.

1. J4kerobbo

J4kerobbo Member

I took this on a cloudy day in early training season. The image splits opinion when I've shown people as it's obviously fairly heavily edited but I think it shows a side of the Red Arrows that goes against the familiar "blue sky, red plane, white smoke" that we all know so well.

Cheers

Robbo

[​IMG]_DSC3461-01 by Jake Robinson, on Flickr

Roger Hicks and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Interesting shapes but as you say a bit OTT with the processing. What did it look like before you started work on it?

3. J4kerobbo

J4kerobbo Member

Like this.

[​IMG]_DSC3461 by Jake Robinson, on Flickr

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That should come up nicely! I'd knock out the vignetting then crop it then up the exposure / set the white&black point, and play with the contrast settings like you did before but more gently. You don't need the black sky.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Pete,

Disagree! I really like the black sky. And the crop.

Cheers,

R.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Me too!

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I do like the drama of the original edit, but maybe there are alternatives, eg:

[​IMG]

BTW there is some serious dust to be removed. I'd get the Hoover on that sensor.

8. J4kerobbo

J4kerobbo Member

Thanks Mike. New camera arrives in a week. This is on my D200 which will be my reserve. I was handed it down from my dad but I can safely say he never cleaned it.

I like your edit a lot! I think I was trying a bit hard to create a different image.

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Love the original edit, but that noise has got to go!

fff.jpg

exspmr likes this.
  10. J4kerobbo

J4kerobbo Member

Love it. Thanks

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep, like that.