1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "New Look" AP

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Jun 14, 2014.

1. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Have Nikon adopted an EVF in the new D810? p6 in this week's magazine would suggest that's the case.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You will usually get it three days earlier. I usually get mine on Saturday but have not received the latest issue. I am not complaining. I don't consider an issue late unless it hasn't arrived by Tuesday, the day that the shops can put it on sale.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Forum party... whay-haaaaay ..... :D

4. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

No, sorry everyone. We appear to have had a couple of gremlins in that issue.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Admit it!
    You've been testing the wine already... Tut, tut! :rolleyes:

6. Nigel_Atherton

I wish we had such a pleasurable excuse!

7. flipster

flipster Well-Known Member

I must admit to a landmark event where AP and mysef are concerned. The issue that I recieved 5th of July was read as usual on the Saturday (letters...features...anything else that interests me)...but instead of being immediately recycled I put it to one side and re read it the following day. Great issue guys. Down side being a cool image of a waterfall on the cover .....then a gopping gert DSLR pasted on as if to say" hey...guys...this is a mag about cameras, stick one anywhere on the cover otherwise no one will know!!!"....is there need?...seriously??...

I can only speak for myself but lads...I want to see more about the image...rather than the big black plastic thing that records it...I'm fed up with being bombarded by new models with very minor improvements that pander to the " i must upgrade" brigade. Stop reviewing them??...or at least only review major model upgrades that actually do have serious and innovative improvements? Anyway....great issue that I read and enjoyed twice...can I have a memory card now please?...cheers flip

8. Nigel_Atherton

I'm glad you enjoyed the issue, on the whole. Yes, it is deliberate poilicy to put a camera on the cover. Our readership reflects the photographic community as a whole in being very diverse, with a broad range of interests. Some readers are interested purely in the art of photography, or in technique and inspiration, while others are more fascinated by the science and engineering side. Some of the latter enjoy reading about new technology, for others their hobby is purely based around old cameras (some of whom have little interest in taking or looking at pictures). Most people are somewhere in between those two extremes, but will most likely lean more towards one side or the other.
    AP has always tried to embrace the entire breadth of interest, with the content divided into features, technique and equipment pages, and we will continue to try to provide something for everyone in each issue, or at least over a range of issues. The cover needs to reflect that. One change that you may have noticed with the new AP is that the main cover image was often a picture of a camera, but now this is much less likely to be case. However, our technical content still needs to be represented on the cover somewhere.

9. galeforce1

galeforce1 Member

As a subscriber and long time reader, and getting on a bit, so a bit set in my ways now, I'm always a little bit wary whenever I hear the words 'revamp' connected with something that I really love. Thankfully, after several issues of the 'new look' AP, I have to say that any fears that I had have been well and truly allayed, and I'm quite impressed with the changes, and in particular, the text quality and clarity, which is very important to me with my slightly dodgy eyesight.

My favourite new addition though is the 'How It Works' column, as being a techy type, who usually likes to pull things apart to see how they work (but hasn't been brave/foolish enough to do this to my expensive and precious DSLR yet), I'm very keen to see just what hardware lurks inside the camera's body.

Lots more of these please, and keep up the good work![​IMG]

Alan.

10. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Since starting this thread, almost as soon as I received the first issue of the "new look" AP, there have been a lot of comments and a lot of diverse views.

In the intervening period, however, I have now had the pleasure of several more issues.

My overwhelming impression is somewhat similar to part of the response from "Flipster" (above).

I now find that I spend far more time reading each issue of AP - simply because there is so much more in it that interests me. (As a rough comparative measure, there must be seven times more reading than before - I always read AP while sitting on the WC. Previously it was read through and put in the sack for the Camera Club magazine exchange after one "session". Now it lasts a full week until the next issue arrives.)

Well done, team.

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Possibly slightly TMI about your reading location, but I agree - the changes are overall pretty good. Since I'm usually fairly change averse, this counts as high praise from me!

Congratulations to Nigel and the rest - as we say in the Westcountry - Proper Job! :)

12. Nigel_Atherton

This is probably my favourite endorsement of the new look so far! :D

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

At last AP has dropped it's snooty distain for "video", with a monthly (?) section by Victoria Grech.

I can already imagine the "outraged of Tumbridge Wells" letters and forum posts deploring the move, but they should remember when it was "The Amateur Photographer and Cinematographer".

I will be very interested to see where the series will go, though I have moved on from DSLRs to shooting raw cine files

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but you have to admit that bad video is even worse than bad still photography, because it goes on longer (except slide shows).

Cheers,

R.

15. Nigel_Atherton

Yes, it will be monthly. In the new AP we're trying to dedicate a couple of technique pages a month to some of the minority niches within photography that weren't really being catered for before, such as video, creative photoshop, studio lighting and film photography.

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You should interview Kamepa of this parish, Nigel. There's a man who pushes the limits of what film can do!

Adrian

17. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I was quite pleased to see something on digital video.
    though I do not have a camera capable of producing anything like adequate quality. And it is a path I shall probably never take, it is an interesting subject,
    so I hope it will fill in more of the necessary detail than we have seen in this general introduction, as I felt I came away with more questions than joined up answers.
    I live in hope, as always.

18. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Sounds good, Nigel. While I personally have no interest in video, it does seem to be catching on, judging by posts from new members here. And as DaveS points out, the full title of the mag did use to include the word "Cinematographer" - perhaps it should be updated to "Amateur Photographer and Videographer"! :)

I look forward to the regular piece on film photography, though.

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply.
    Yep, bad video is pretty ghastly, shot enough of it in my time.

Hopefully people will take these articles on board and shoot good video. Or even better, go beyond "video" to digital cine.

A 5DIII with "Magic Lantern" can record raw 16 bit cine.

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Dave,

Insh'Allah!

Cheers,

R