1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "New Look" AP

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I too was waiting for this third issue.
    It is the best yet by some way.
    so I think congratulations are in order to all involved.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have now seen three.

Let's get the worst over first. It is slightly more brash in it's presentation.

Also, it is a bit 'equipment heavy' but we may have to accept that for a short time if the intention is to see an Amateur Photographer incorporating yet another title. (It has happened before.).

On the positive there is the already stated improvement in paper, but that is really only something that was inevitable, and also nowhere near as important as the content.

Parts of the old content are sharper.

Roger Hicks' for example is better focussed. Recently he had seemed to be struggling for new material. I liked the old somewhat philosophical articles but it was clear that we needed something else for the next year or two. Just make sure Roger, if you are reading this, that you don't get mention in Private Eye's Pseuds Corner.

I liked the way that ProfBob (please forgive the description; I don't mean to be disrespectful but the nickname seams so appropriate) was able to explain a bit of technology relevant to kit being reviewed.

'How to do it' articles are of value especially if one does not go down the road of ridiculous HDR, like a certain monthly competitor.

On the whole I like the revitalised magazine. I have no intention of cancelling my sub.

3. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to post their comments - even the negative ones, as we're still refining a few things. It's encouraging to know that all the hard work has, in general, been appreciated.

On these two comments, AP was widely described as dull before, and I suppose brash is the opposite of dull. Everyone has their own view of where on the dull/brash axis is the right balance - in reality where AP sits will vary a bit from week to week depending on the particular content in that issue.

As for the 'equipment heavy' comment, this too will vary from week to week depending on what's coming out. At certain times of year there will be more, and other times less. Overall there are slightly fewer equipment pages than before, as there's less new gear to write about.

Someone commented earlier that the new AP appears to be more work to put together than the old one, and this is true. The list of ingredients that must be written/commissioned/compiled is now a lot longer. We probably couldn't have done it had we not merged the AP and What Digital Camera teams, as this has enabled us to make better use of our existing resources.
    But I must stress that there is no plan whatsoever to incorporate WDC or any other magazine into AP. We merged the editorial teams, but we're not merging magazines.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Echo that!

:)

5. 0lybacker

Hi Nigel,

I had to live through the 'Martin Hodder era' and it's left its scars ... ;).

Have also had some interesting discussions with Eds over the years (not just AP) and I appreciate the difficulties over design. Sometimes also if a magazine is part of a large publishing group, freedom to do something that might suit the magazine & its subject matter might but conflict with a house style and be squashed by a suit sitting upstairs.

If it helps, I rarely buy a magazine if it's wrapped and I cannot flip through it. Tasters might spike a smidge of interest but with the Oly household increasingly crowded with words & pictures I have to find a way of really having to buy a magazine and that means having to find other stuff inside that brings added value. I like to see the contents page and/or the pages. Some great photos help in make me reach for the wallet every time.

There have been periods when I'd be buying a particular magazine week in week out (AP & BJP), or similar for monthlies, and the cover & the tasters for content were not immaterial but were totally unconnected to the purchasing decision.

Interesting that you are going to use the Feininger image again. I really popped in to talk about the word amateur but that will have to wait a day or two.

Cheers,
    Oly

PS: Tried to see latest AP when shopping at w/end. Couldn't.

It had sold out.

:D

6. Nigel_Atherton

I know many people feel this way, and we generally only bag the magazine now if there's a free gift with it - as with the 28 June DVD and 5 July supplement. Otherwise the gifts become separated from the magazines, or people steal them in the shop. It's expensive to bag a magazine, but preferable to the cost and hassle of dealing with hundreds of complaints from people whose gift was missing. The number of extra people who buy an issue because of the gift more than compensates for any that don't because its in a bag.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

As an occasional buyer, I was very pleased with the new look - and the articles therein too. I'll have to have a look to see if the Ivor Matanle column will be a weekly one, but although I miss his long articles I like the idea of a brief taster of more classics (especially as I have a Nikkormat with, yes, a duff meter!).

What amused me was to discover a query from me on the forum back about March in "From the Forum" in the last old-style one! No, I didn't take Chris's advice, either...

Adrian

8. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

i notice that the 'Weekly Poll' (as published on p19, 5/07/14) has had it's results reversed so instead of 8% having read the mag for less than a year, now 52% have.

Wishful thinking perhaps!

9. nickyr

nickyr Well-Known Member

re the new paper quality - I prefer it and so does my dog. well I assume he does given that he ate last weeks copy while I was in the bath

10. Nigel_Atherton

Well if he expects us to send him another one he's barking up the wrong tree. ;) I hope you got to read it first.

11. nickyr

nickyr Well-Known Member

thank you Nigel - yes I did and it was a most enjoyable edition:)

12. 0lybacker

Yeah, I used to woof down AP with enthusiasm and even had a couple of sources - decades ago - of getting hold of it half a day or a day early. :) Happy days.

Have had a brief look and really don't feel a lot has changed. The paper was gettin' 'orrid in the 'old' version so it now feels a lot better. My overall impression was that the magazine felt cramped, crowded, which on the one hand some may feel is off-putting while on the other, readers (potential and existing) may feel chuffed, that they are getting value for money. Am not wildly enthusiastic about the font used but I need to see some more over the coming weeks.

13. 0lybacker

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I understand but am put off. Sad reflection on society, really. The Cover Comp is a great idea, btw, and will try to remember to plug that when doing the rounds of clubs.

Cheers,
    Oly

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that on Saturday when I noticed that there was rather less white space in the new design, the upside is that there is more content. The advertising is also rather better spaced out. One change I did notice in this latest issue, was that the lens test diagrams have been improved by only showing one side
    of them.

Unfortunately on my copy, the cover which is printed separately on a heavier stock, had set off on the "Indian" face and neck, and also below the blondes ear.
    which seems strange as they seem to have run a clear machine varnish as a top coat.

15. Aga n Chickens

Aga n Chickens Well-Known Member

Well, it seems that your wish is their command.
    My subscription copy of AP arrived today and they have slipped an advert for a wine offer into the wrapper.

Cheers [​IMG]

16. Nigel_Atherton

Actually AP now shares its office with Decanter magazine, and there are bottles lying around all over the place. I'm hoping that one or two might drift over to our sde of the office from time to time. ;)

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So when are we to get bottles of white burgundy and red Bordeaux for runners up in the monthly competition. I've never entered because I know that I couldn't make the running for a whole year or even come in the first three in one month, and I don't particularly want a camera from the present sponsor. A bottle for every published picture might increase the entry.
    I guess that Decanter magazine get a lot of stuff sent to them that they are a bit 'sniffy about'; AP readers might be slightly less discriminating.

18. Digital Dave

Digital Dave Well-Known Member

I am not a subscriber, and never have been, but have been buying the occasional copy of AP, for more years than I care to remember.

This usually means looking at the new issue, during our weekly shopping trip to the supermarket, and if there's a particular article(s) of interest, I buy the magazine. On average, this equates to one or two copies a month, but sometimes none at all.

I have to agree with Nigel Atherton's comment that AP has been widely perceived as being generally a bit dull. Hence my being selective in which issues I buy.

However, I have bought each of the new style AP issues, and have to say that overall, they make for a much more interesting read. In fact a 'breath of fresh air'.

You can't possibly please 'all of the people all of the time', but I think the re-vamped magazine will go a long way towards 'pleasing most of the people most of the time', and attract a wider readership.

I'll see if the new approach continues, and may even end up subscribing.

Dave

19. Nigel_Atherton

Any wine that made its way to our admin department would have to come past Mark Jacobs' desk first, and thats a perilous journey to make! :D

20. Nigel_Atherton

Thanks Dave, I'm glad you like it. You wil of course save time and money of you subscribe, and get it three days earlier.:)