1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "New Look" AP

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Jun 14, 2014.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Rarely have I been so impressed with the "re-launch" of a favourite magazine as I am with this week's "new look" Amateur Photographer.

It has almost the right balance between a more contemporary look and feel and the retention of some essential traditional features. Well done to all concerned.

I particularly like the greater emphasis upon photographic techniques. Hopefully, this will expand even farther in future issues.

One (and probably my only) small criticism - still far too much space devoted to equipment rather than photography. One "Testbench" feature (whether of a single item or a group test) would have been enough, rather than the three in the current issue.

But, all in all, a very positive move forward.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hovering by the letterbox as I type!

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

^^^^^WHS^^^^

At first glance I like it all but I particularly like the new grade of paper, especially for the B&W prints.

4. Aga n Chickens

Aga n Chickens Well-Known Member

Love the new format, especially the new 'Evening Class' section.
    I am still a novice at using Photoshop Elememts 10, so I hope to pick up a few helpful tips about photo-editing and post-processing.
    I posted one of my experimental shots in the gallery for this month's competition. In no way is it perfect, but I am proud of the end result, considering it was the first time I'd tried that technique.
    Keep up the good work

Christine

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Looks good to me.
    I thought the cover had almost gone back to the 60's with the Black and white and spot colour look.

Nice balance in side, I hope you can keep up with it on a week by week basis, as this one at least, showed rather more effort (man hours) to produce.
    The Paper is rather better for a machine lick coated, with surprisingly little show through for such a thin calliper. But it still ripples under all the processing. It still needs all three stitches.

Nice to see Roger has a new Photo-column as well as a new mug shot.

All in all, a very good effort, with something for everyone.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I enjoyed the issue and will pass comment on the content in due course after seeing a few more issues.
    The new paper is whiter and has better opacity than the old. This results in a 'crisper' overall look and better reproduction of delicate parts of images. By itself it is what one would expect; in a side by side comparison of the old stock one can only wonder how AP got away with the old stuff for so long.

7. addick56

addick56 Member

New Look?

Wish i could comment on the new look but magazine did not appear on Saturday - post has just been delivered this morning and still no mag......

8. Molendinar

Molendinar Well-Known Member

I usually hate 'revamps' of magazines, to whatever whizzy new look is currently trendy.

That said - this one .... isn't entirely awful. :)

In fact, it'll probably grow on me; except that we've lost "What the Duck". (and I'm not on Facebook, so don't bother suggesting I look for it there)

Given that I don't hate it ... well done!

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I take it from that that they've not gone for perfect binding, then?

10. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I think the new look is much better, I'm especially pleased to see a different photo of Prof Newman, the old one made him look like 'Freddie 'Parrot-Face' Davies' I thought! The colour reproduction is so much improved and it makes you realise how dated the old format appeared.

I must take issue with the "Shoot an Airshow" info on p4: The recommended shutter speeds quoted would blur the prop so much as to render it invisible. The excellent Spitfire photo illustrating would have been around 1/400 I would guess and overall optimum shutter speeds will be 1/250 - 1/500.

Overall congratulations for improving the magazine so much and giving me a reason to continue my subscription for the foreseeable future.

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Mr Hicks too. My (4 year old) daughter looked at the old photo one day, laughed and said 'Look at that grumpy man' (sorry Roger :) ) but I'm not sure the new photo would change her opinion. ;)

12. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

That's why he's there - to frighten small children. :D

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Whist we're on the subject, I do wish you would use a different one for your icon, Nigel. I always think you are trying to be Pinnochio in your current one! :p

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I think he's just hiding an enormous zit on the end of his nose behind that camera...:p

15. Nigel_Atherton

Funny, I never noticed that. I shall change it tomorrow!

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

:) Photographer's eye. :cool:

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Bought my copy last night. My first reaction was 'it's thin' but it turns out to have the same pages as a number of recent old style editions...

Haven't had a chance to read it yet but the paper does feel much better and the layout looks good.

18. Nigel_Atherton

Its actually a tiny bit thicker, because it has the same number of pages as usual but the paper is 10% heavier.

19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Paper is interesting stuff. And thickness is only one aspect. Gsm is perhaps the most common way to describe it, but the caliper in microns gives the actual thickness. However the two measures are not actually well related.
    The relative fibre content to the fillers and coating, even the metod of coating, can drastically change the way a paper handles and feels looks and prints.
    The one chosen seems to be a very good compromise, except for its resistance to tearing which it seems is very similar to the previous one, with the same potential for stitches breaking through. One of its best features is its almost total lack of show through.
    I have calipered both this and the previous papers and they all measure exactly 0.055mm, so it would seem that any difference is in the gramage not the thickness.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  20. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Bottom one fell out of my copy.

Overall, relaunch not bad, will tell if I really like it after two or three more issues.