1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New Camera Curse has struck

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Jun 15, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Working on my project, I thought I needed something a bit more portable so bought an Oly PEN F and couple of lenses. Lovely job, better quality, but had it 3 weeks and have not seen a decent shot with it yet. Had to use the old E-M1 for a company event yesterday and took time out to detour through my locations and saw at least 2 shots immediately.

Back through the same area with the Pen F this morning and zilch again. What is it a new camera does to your eyes? Same thing when I went digital a dozen years ago.

Geren likes this.
  2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think it's a kind of desperation; you so want to put it to good use you try too hard, and miss things as a result.

lfc1892 likes this.
  3. RovingMike

Must be something like that. Trying to force shots then realising in pp they aren't worth the effort.

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Some cameras have an invisible creative button that justs turns you on.

5. RovingMike

Aha, never thought of that. Must download the manual.

But it struck me this is the opposite of golf, where if you buy a new putter, you sink everything in sight for the first couple of rounds. Anyone else find that?

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

With cameras it is a matter of familiarity.
    In golf it is expectation and belief.... but a few bad holes... then where are you?

In the day, I used to love my Rolleiflexes Perhaps it was the reversed image. But when I got a prism for them I still loved them. Perhaps it was the change to eye level from belly level.
    Belly level gives a natural child's eye view.

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. That's why I change my driver almost on a monthly basis. Keeps me hitting fairways!;)

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

You're looking at this all the wrong way. If your photography had improved with the new camera, then we could all say "These are great pictures - you must have a good camera.". :D

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nowt new about that...
    GoodBrushes.jpg

Charlotte Moon and P_Stoddart like this.
  10. RovingMike

Very true. I can't win either way.

Anyway, going to knock off until Autumn, when hopefully there will be some decent light. All this high sun is so boring and dawn and dusk are at times when I'm tucked up in bed.

Craig20264 likes this.
  11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Opposite tends to be true for me. New camera often produces a hit or two, sometimes on the first roll of film or card-fill. Not that that is a good excuse to buy more kit but just that maybe it makes one work a bit harder. Except.

Except the Pentax ME Super, I was given by a friend a while back. They didn't want it and needed it gone during a house move. Just happened I was offered two cheap lenses not long after to go with it. I thought about sticking a roll of IR in it but instead loaned it to another friend who used it for a roll or two while their new to them s/h Pentax was repaired. Now back with me and part way through a roll of Poundland colour, I decided I just don't like the Pentax. It is too new (minty body, ER case a bit worn, KA standard lens - unusual?), too stiff and too fiddly. It's heading toward eBay after the roll of IR is done! Decades ago, I handled a well-worn example that a work colleague owned and my dim memory was of a well-run in, slick little bit of kit almost in the Olympus league.

Maybe that's what is needed? Get some miles on the Pen F and you and it will loosen up or you will mind-meld with it or something. Good luck! Cheers, Oly

12. RovingMike

Thanks Oly, I think partly it is that I need a break. The "good" shots I got with the old one were really just improvements to several. Fact is I have done all the things you can do walking about in mid summer and need some decent light. I'm going to put it to bed until mid September and see if I can come up with any inspiration then. I need to move on from taking to making shots and the brain is not performing, which does inhibit the camera a bit.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm just easily pleased but there always seems to be another shot to take - even in places I've been many times.

14. RovingMike

Indeed, especially as the light (or people) changes but also better versions of ones you were happy with, or took because it was best you could get on the day.
    Complete tosh: https://flic.kr/p/Tinjbk
    Shot: https://flic.kr/p/V2Rur7
    Shot with brain in gear: https://flic.kr/p/TNRLvq

15. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Just send the Pan F over and I can try to find out whats wrong...

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Surely it's the mind dealing with the unfamiliar?

Shooters I think form a kind of relationship with their cameras. It becomes second nature to handle them.

So a person becomes happier more comfortable if they have their old reliable "friend", which of course has a track record of producing hit shots you love and enjoy.

A new camera has none of that so in the back of you mind it's a stranger you are using with no proven track record of helping you create your art.

Once a new camera start syncing with you and you are able to get the goods out of it.

You feel happier and the more comfortable. :)

For me once my A58 gave me a 10/10 at the society then I thought yeah its working for me. The A58 has also given me HC. :)

Anyway that's my take on it LOL

17. RovingMike

I think there's a bit of that in it.

18. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There's a lot of old tosh being talked in this thread about you having to learn to deal with an unfamiliar piece of kit and so forth.

Everybody seems to be ignoring the obvious explanation: Demonic possession. Your new camera is possessed by a demon.

I'd suggest Caacrinolaas as a likely suspect (sometimes also known as Glasya-Labolas) because he's usually associated with the arts. He usually appears in the form of a griffin and so he'd probably go unnoticed on the streets of Brentford where, I believe, griffins are commonplace. If you've been to Brentford recently or perhaps had your camera shipped via a sorting office in the area that might explain a lot.

Cheers, Jeff

P_Stoddart and EightBitTony like this.
  19. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Medication Jeff.........You've forgotten again haven't you? o_O

P_Stoddart and EightBitTony like this.
  20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

First day back in work after a week off...I'll do almost anything to avoid having to start going through the backlog of e-mails I've built up!

Cheers, Jeff