1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Merchant

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by miked, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mike,

Fails for me on composition, not pose. It's akin to August Sander's work, which was variable, but at its best, very good. As this could have been. There's a certain taxonomic or "Neue Sachlichkeit" quality that I like (Google both Sander and Neue Sachlichkeit if you're not familiar with 'em); but there's too much background and not enough people.

Cheers,

R.

2. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Thank you, Keith and welcome to the forum.

3. Myopic George

Myopic George Well-Known Member

I really like this as is and totally agree with Roger Hicks. Without the light bulb I wasn't sure if this place even had electricity.
    I need to 'man up' and ask people to snap them. I always think they'll say no and I'll get shouted at.

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

If you ask politely and manage a smile it does help enormously. At my age I present no threat whatsoever and find a quiet, easy-going diffidence is the way to go . If you don't ask you'll never know what the answer will be. And do ask, politeness is golden.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to find myself agreeing but it is better with the the tree and the bulb.

The caveat is that I find the bottom of the tree is very bright and would prefer it toned down a bit...

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Thanks Nigel, as one of Catherine Tate's characters was won't to say, "I can do that."