1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lounge seems to have become a 'safe area'.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

What about those scientists that recieve grant funding, make a discovery and then float/sell their companies and make a personal furtune?

2. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

My main fear about leaving the EU is that with the prospect of a succession of Tory governments for the foreseeable, there will be no balances to protect workers' rights from European legislation. I suppose Brexiteers would say that is the point of leaving and that my desire is undemocratic. Maybe the sense that I don't want to leave social welfare in the hands of the English electorate, then I suppose you could argue it is.

Damn!! I wasn't going to do this anymore :(

PhotoEcosse and Catriona like this.
  3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Nobody knows what is going to happen to NHS Europe yet ! And yes there is such an organisation which works closely with other European health services.

4. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Workers have rights in the UK? I think you'll find that most european countries have better workers rights than the UK, with or without EU influence. Furthermore, I suspect a succession of post-brexit tory governments will remove the few remaining rights that workers in the UK have. Don't forget that the EU legislation etc. under fire has been not only actively supported by successive UK governments but in some cases even promulgated by them, and on top of that, HMG often interprets EU legislation in a far narrower and restrictive way than the other 27 administrations - and that's without bringing Whitehall's ministerial incompetence into play! To put things another way, if Brussels hadn't produced the legislation then HMG, left to it's own devices, would have done so on a national basis.

Lynn

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I reckon that - sadly - this is one of the few certainties:(, amid all the uncertainties of Brexit,

6. willie45

I'm not sure what you're arguing against in my post, Lynn?

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Well they did promise a "bonfire of regulations". But of course the liars implied that this would be about straight bananas rather than their intention to reintroduce indentured servitude. But they were a cabal of deceitful liars.

Graeme

8. Trannifan

Workers rights in the EU are the responsibility of the individual member states. Insofar as workers in the UK have any rights then they need to be protected from the machinations of tory and other right-wing politicians.

Lynn

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  9. willie45

Well was the minimum wage not an EU rule? I'm pretty sure the working time directive was. I'm pretty sure there's a whole batch of others. I don't really understand why you imagine leaving the EU will improve things

10. willie45

Ermm that was what I was saying. What's your point?

11. peterba

I don't think that's what Trannifan was saying...:confused:

12. willie45

I'm not sure what she thought I was saying. I'm confused :confused:

13. Trannifan

NO! According to the first quote from you as given above you want to protect UK workers rights from EU legislation...........................

You seem to be the one who is imagining that leaving the EU will 'improve' things. Apart from that, whilst minimum wage, working hours etc. may be EU directives, every EU country interprets them in their own way - just look at the working hours for junior doctors in UK hospitals, for example.Or how about 'Zero hours' contracts? A UK speciality.

Lynn

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. willie45

My use of from was an error. I meant "with" which is kind of obvious from the rest of the post. I don't know if you've ever read any other post I've made on here butif you do it will be immediately obvious that I'm not a fan of Brexit or Tory policy.

peterba likes this.
  15. peterba

I was fairly sure that there was a misunderstanding happening with Trannifan, here, and I think that you've now uncovered it. :)

16. willie45

I guess so. I use my phone to post sometimes and with failing eyesight and all the drugs .....;)

peterba likes this.
  17. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

To say nothing of predictive text and autocorrect.

18. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I do have a mobile phone (a present) but hardly ever use it. It spends most of its life languishing in a drawer switched off. However I did once try sending a text and that's when I found out the "joys" of predictive text and autocorrect. I spent the next half-an-hour finding how to turn it all off! Then it went back in the drawer. :)

19. willie45

Man, that is the most irritating thing. Drives me nuts :mad:

20. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

The man who invented autocorrect died the other day. His funfair is on Monday.